1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK facists Win seats in European Parliament

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Grimz101, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Pfft, not the tories, or the polish parties.

2. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Which polish parties? PiS lost to PO, so the evil dwarfs lost influence while polish liberals gained it.

3. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Civic Platform? Certainly not center-left by US standards. You don't see any Democrats calling for a flat tax or labor law reform or more decentralization or whatnot. That's Republican territory. Granted it's probably very mainstream Republican territory, but it's not center-left by our standards - socially, they're pretty mainstream Republican, too.

4. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Why the hell am I agreeing with you?

5. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Well for some reason many British people buy the Sun newspapaper owned by anti-European Australian born American citizen Rupert Murdoch who pushes his personal views about the EU being bad to the masses. Daily Mail hates the EU too for some reason (something to do with enforcing a standard for straightness of bananas or something).

It's the expenses scandal that is responsible for ignorant people casting misguided protest votes against parties in the commons.

6. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I knew that there should come some suprise.

7. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

In most other European countries far-right or populist parties are much bigger. Austria, Netherlands, Finland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland etc.

In my home country party called "True Finns" had 0,5% in last elections 2004, now in 2009 elections they got 9,8%. Also I voted for them. Their party is eurosceptic, anti-immigration party just like many other parties that gained more votes.

8. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

UKIP won 17.4% of the popular vote, whilst the BNP won 6.5%. That's less than one-quarter of the British population that voted for parties that want to leave the EU. More than 75% of the British population voted for parties that want to stay in the EU.

Furthermore, UKIP won just 0.5% more of the popular vote than they did in the 2004 European elections. The reason why they came second is more to do with Labour votes plummeting by more than 30%, than with any great swing to the right in British politics.

To put it into context, the Greens won 29% more votes in 2009 than they did in 2004.

You guys, and the mass media in general, really need to look at the bigger picture here...

EDIT: Nick Griffin, BNP's glorious leader, actually won fewer votes in 2009 than in 2004: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/2009/06/fewer_votes_for.html
    Again, it's more to do with Labour voters just not voting at all than with them voting for other parties, and it's especially not because vast swathes of the British public have suddenly turned fascist.

9. Moggy

Moggy Warlord

I am disgusted that people are voting for the BNP. As a protest vote it is despicable and anybody that genuinely wants them in power are scum of the highest order. :mad:

65 years ago we sent men into Europe to fight against Fascism. Now we are sending fascists into Europe. :cry:

Mise is right though. The majority do not support these dickheads and hopefully normal service will be resumed by the time of the next elections.

10. fugazi

fugazi King

Because what he said holds some truth. I'm pretty sure that the smarter Brits realise that staying with the EU is more profitable for them, but alas.

11. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Actually, UKIP received 8% fewer votes in 2009 than in 2004, and overall the number of votes for UKIP and BNP combined fell by 100,000 (3%).

Again, this was a Labour failure, not a UKIP/BNP win. It was kind of a Tory win though.

12. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

It is an utter disgrace that their will be 2 Fascist BNP members now in the EU parliment, and lesson to everyone that peopel nee dot get out and vote or they let scum like this in.

13. Snovvdog

Snovvdog Warlord

Except their results still beat US results.

14. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

There was actually a set of regulations that did restrict the shape of fruit and veg :lol:, I know there were plans to repeal them but I don't know if its been done.

Heres the classification regulations on cucumbers from 1988, for some reason there seems to be a lot of discrimination against crooked cucumbers, including cucumber apartheid! Damn hypocrites :lol:
    Spoiler :
    B. Classification

Cucumbers are classed into the four classes defined below:

(i) 'Extra' class

Cucumbers in this class must be of superior quality. They must have all the characteristics of the variety.

They must:

- be well developed

- be well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc: 10 mm per 10 cm of length of the cucumber)

- have a typical colouring for the variety

- be free of defects, including all deformations and particularly those caused by seed formation.

(ii) Class I

Cucumbers in this class must be of good quality. They must:

- be reasonably developed

- be reasonably well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc: 10 mm per 10 cm of the length of cucumber).

The following defects are allowed:

- a slight deformation, but excluding that caused by seed formation

- a slight defect in colouring, especially the light coloured part of the cucumber where it touched the ground during growth

- slight skin blemishes due to rubbing and handling or low temperatures, provided that such blemishes have healed and do not affect the keeping quality. (iii) Class II:

This class includes cucumbers which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy the minimum requirements specified above. However, they may have the following defects:

- deformations other than serious seed development,

- defects in colouring up to one-third of the surface; in the case of cucumbers grown under protection,

considerable defects in colouring in the affected part are not allowed,

- healed cracks,

- slight damage caused by rubbing and handling which does not seriously affect the keeping quality and appearance.

All the defects listed above are allowed for straight and slightly crooked cucumbers.

On the other hand, crooked cucumbers are allowed only if they have no more than slight defects in colouring and have no defects or deformation other than crookedness.

Slightly crooked cucumbers may have a maximum height of the arc of 20 mm per 10 cm of length of the cucumber.

Crooked cucumbers may have a greater arc and must be packed separately.

(iv) Class III (1):

This class includes cucumbers which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy the requirements specified for Class II. However, crooked cucumbers may have all the defects allowed in Class II for straight and slightly crooked cucumbers and they must be packed separately.

While the EU is very important for the UKs future having rules like these don't exactly help its case.... tabloids can just rip into them far too easily. We need a PM and MEPs with the balls to stand up to this kind of bizzare legislation.

To be fair 2 out of 72 seats isn't too damaging yet, and may work to force the mainstream parties to actually do something people want for a change :rolleyes:
    And also, I would forgive anyone for mistaking our current government for Facists :sad:

15. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

Oh yeah sure, because electing a couple of idiots to the EP using proportional representation is as bad as Americans electing a complete idiot to run their country for eight years.

16. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

Today I'm ashamed to be British.

17. bhsup

bhsup Deity

*sigh* Fine, we're sorry. We know we screwed the pooch by electing Obama and we promise to do better next time around. Okay? Sorry.

18. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

(deleted message)

19. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

This is what happens with propotional representation, you get weird fringe groups like the Greens and BNP. Scum of the earth

20. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

If BNP is the only party really talking against harmful immigration policies and Islamofascism, then they would deserve even more support. Immigration from muslim countries and from 3th world is destroying Europe culturally, socially and economically.

I would rather say you have 70 reason to be ashamed and 2 reasons to be proud.