UK facists Win seats in European Parliament

EP has very low influence on European foreign policy, so the Americans won't even feel any change at all.

Also, most European center-right parties would appear liberal to American conservatives, so it doesn't really matter.

Pfft, not the tories, or the polish parties.

Which polish parties? PiS lost to PO, so the evil dwarfs lost influence while polish liberals gained it.

Civic Platform? Certainly not center-left by US standards. You don't see any Democrats calling for a flat tax or labor law reform or more decentralization or whatnot. That's Republican territory. Granted it's probably very mainstream Republican territory, but it's not center-left by our standards - socially, they're pretty mainstream Republican, too.

UKIP's result is much more worrying, IMO.

They're the 2nd largest UK party in European Parliament. now, which is a disgrace. I almost hope they succeed in their efforts and get the UK out of the EU. Brits obviously hate the EU so it baffles me why they are staying in it.
Why the hell am I agreeing with you?

Well for some reason many British people buy the Sun newspapaper owned by anti-European Australian born American citizen Rupert Murdoch who pushes his personal views about the EU being bad to the masses. Daily Mail hates the EU too for some reason (something to do with enforcing a standard for straightness of bananas or something).

It's the expenses scandal that is responsible for ignorant people casting misguided protest votes against parties in the commons.

I knew that there should come some suprise.

In most other European countries far-right or populist parties are much bigger. Austria, Netherlands, Finland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland etc.

In my home country party called "True Finns" had 0,5% in last elections 2004, now in 2009 elections they got 9,8%. Also I voted for them. Their party is eurosceptic, anti-immigration party just like many other parties that gained more votes.

UKIP's result is much more worrying, IMO.

They're the 2nd largest UK party in European Parliament. now, which is a disgrace. I almost hope they succeed in their efforts and get the UK out of the EU. Brits obviously hate the EU so it baffles me why they are staying in it.
UKIP won 17.4% of the popular vote, whilst the BNP won 6.5%. That's less than one-quarter of the British population that voted for parties that want to leave the EU. More than 75% of the British population voted for parties that want to stay in the EU.

Furthermore, UKIP won just 0.5% more of the popular vote than they did in the 2004 European elections. The reason why they came second is more to do with Labour votes plummeting by more than 30%, than with any great swing to the right in British politics.

To put it into context, the Greens won 29% more votes in 2009 than they did in 2004.

You guys, and the mass media in general, really need to look at the bigger picture here...

EDIT: Nick Griffin, BNP's glorious leader, actually won fewer votes in 2009 than in 2004: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/2009/06/fewer_votes_for.html
Nick Griffin is now a Member of the European Parliament even though he won fewer votes than he did five years ago.

That's right, fewer.

In 2004, the BNP in the North West polled 134,959 votes. In 2009, they polled 132,194. So, why did he win?

In short, because of a collapse in the Labour vote from 576,388 in 2004 to 336,831 in 2009. In Liverpool, Labour's vote dived by 15,000; in Manchester by almost 9,000; whilst in Bury, Rochdale and Stockport, its vote halved.

The switch away from postal votes for all in the last Euro election in the region also led to a fall in turnout.

Thus, the BNP could secure a higher share of the vote whilst getting fewer votes.

Again, it's more to do with Labour voters just not voting at all than with them voting for other parties, and it's especially not because vast swathes of the British public have suddenly turned fascist.

I am disgusted that people are voting for the BNP. As a protest vote it is despicable and anybody that genuinely wants them in power are scum of the highest order. :mad:

65 years ago we sent men into Europe to fight against Fascism. Now we are sending fascists into Europe. :cry:

Mise is right though. The majority do not support these dickheads and hopefully normal service will be resumed by the time of the next elections.

Actually, UKIP received 8% fewer votes in 2009 than in 2004, and overall the number of votes for UKIP and BNP combined fell by 100,000 (3%).

Again, this was a Labour failure, not a UKIP/BNP win. It was kind of a Tory win though.

It is an utter disgrace that their will be 2 Fascist BNP members now in the EU parliment, and lesson to everyone that peopel nee dot get out and vote or they let scum like this in.

Well for some reason many British people buy the Sun newspapaper owned by anti-European Australian born American citizen Rupert Murdoch who pushes his personal views about the EU being bad to the masses. Daily Mail hates the EU too for some reason (something to do with enforcing a standard for straightness of bananas or something).

It's the expenses scandal that is responsible for ignorant people casting misguided protest votes against parties in the commons.
There was actually a set of regulations that did restrict the shape of fruit and veg :lol:, I know there were plans to repeal them but I don't know if its been done.

Heres the classification regulations on cucumbers from 1988, for some reason there seems to be a lot of discrimination against crooked cucumbers, including cucumber apartheid! Damn hypocrites :lol:
Spoiler :
B. Classification

Cucumbers are classed into the four classes defined below:

(i) 'Extra' class

Cucumbers in this class must be of superior quality. They must have all the characteristics of the variety.

They must:

- be well developed

- be well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc: 10 mm per 10 cm of length of the cucumber)

- have a typical colouring for the variety

- be free of defects, including all deformations and particularly those caused by seed formation.

(ii) Class I

Cucumbers in this class must be of good quality. They must:

- be reasonably developed

- be reasonably well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc: 10 mm per 10 cm of the length of cucumber).

The following defects are allowed:

- a slight deformation, but excluding that caused by seed formation

- a slight defect in colouring, especially the light coloured part of the cucumber where it touched the ground during growth

- slight skin blemishes due to rubbing and handling or low temperatures, provided that such blemishes have healed and do not affect the keeping quality. (iii) Class II:

This class includes cucumbers which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy the minimum requirements specified above. However, they may have the following defects:

- deformations other than serious seed development,

- defects in colouring up to one-third of the surface; in the case of cucumbers grown under protection,

considerable defects in colouring in the affected part are not allowed,

- healed cracks,

- slight damage caused by rubbing and handling which does not seriously affect the keeping quality and appearance.

All the defects listed above are allowed for straight and slightly crooked cucumbers.

On the other hand, crooked cucumbers are allowed only if they have no more than slight defects in colouring and have no defects or deformation other than crookedness.

Slightly crooked cucumbers may have a maximum height of the arc of 20 mm per 10 cm of length of the cucumber.

Crooked cucumbers may have a greater arc and must be packed separately.

(iv) Class III (1):

This class includes cucumbers which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy the requirements specified for Class II. However, crooked cucumbers may have all the defects allowed in Class II for straight and slightly crooked cucumbers and they must be packed separately.

While the EU is very important for the UKs future having rules like these don't exactly help its case.... tabloids can just rip into them far too easily. We need a PM and MEPs with the balls to stand up to this kind of bizzare legislation.

To be fair 2 out of 72 seats isn't too damaging yet, and may work to force the mainstream parties to actually do something people want for a change :rolleyes:
And also, I would forgive anyone for mistaking our current government for Facists :sad:

As I said before, you Brits now are forbidden from whining when we Americans make a poor electoral decision.

Oh yeah sure, because electing a couple of idiots to the EP using proportional representation is as bad as Americans electing a complete idiot to run their country for eight years.

This is what happens with propotional representation, you get weird fringe groups like the Greens and BNP. Scum of the earth

Today I'm ashamed to be British.

If BNP is the only party really talking against harmful immigration policies and Islamofascism, then they would deserve even more support. Immigration from muslim countries and from 3th world is destroying Europe culturally, socially and economically.

I would rather say you have 70 reason to be ashamed and 2 reasons to be proud.

Top Bottom