Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Virginia

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 25 15.1%

• Total voters
No, but a place without broadband is going to be a crappy place to live.

Being old enough to have lived somewhere prior to the internet, I will simply have to disagree. Internet access isnt what makes a state great or not.

But the point is moot. People in Arkansas have broadband. :lol:

Judging solely on natural beauty, California's still got them both beat.

Not to say Oregon and Washington aren't beautiful, but CA's just so damn big and full of cool stuff.

I dont see how you can say that.

If anything, I think they are all pretty much comparable in terms of 'natural beauty'.

Simply because the state is bigger isnt really a salient point, and all three have forests, rivers, lakes and mountains galore.

You read me not as I intended. I was saying that CT is the worst of New England, and the others are better, except that RI might be the worst of the other 5. After all, you have the RI state government. :)

Nah, I was agreeing with you... mostly. I think NH is crappier than RI. Dunno whether NH or CT is crapper though.

Being old enough to have lived somewhere prior to the internet, I will simply have to disagree. Internet access isnt what makes a state great or not.

But the point is moot. People in Arkansas have broadband. :lol:

Condescend and disagree all you want. I've lived with and without internet, dialup at 14.4kb/s and fios at 50mb/s, and I'm young enough to know that a place without broadband is a freakin' terrible place to live.

And broadband or not, Arkansas is still Arkansas.

Lucy did i do something to piss you off? :(

Nah, Alabama just sucks. :)

EDIT: Where the hell is the usa #1 tag?

Condescend and disagree all you want.

Pointing out there is more to life than simply having broadband access isnt being condescending. But I will disagree with you when it pleases me.

I've lived with and without internet, dialup at 14.4kb/s and fios at 50mb/s, and I'm young enough to know that a place without broadband is a freakin' terrible place to live.

And I disagree.

And broadband or not, Arkansas is still Arkansas.

Not sure what that means since 'X is still X' pretty much applies to any state of the union.

It angers me that The Greatest State in the Union, Wisconsin, is not on that list. Us Wisconsinites take particular pride in our state. Especially after 7 or 8 beers, at that point I will gladly pick a fight with some one just because they aren't from Wisconsin, especially those damn people from illinois. We should give the entire state to a third world country, and then declare war on it just to have a valid reason to burn it to the ground.

Wisconsin is simply the best, hands down. We could beat down all other states, and still be home in time for a dinner of brats, beer, potatoes, and lard.

No, talking about how old you are and how that means you know so much better is condescending. With some things it makes plenty of sense. You probably know a lot more about vinyl records than most of us here. But internet? That's my generation. Enjoy your dialup if you dig it. The rest of us know better.

"Arkansas" is a synonym for "terrible place to live". It means that even with broadband, Arkansas is a terrible place to live. :)

No, talking about how old you are and how that means you know so much better is condescending.

Dear Lucy, I didnt say how I knew so much better than you inasmuch as I was giving an example of a time when there was no internet, and believe it or not, life was still worth living.

Broadband access, while a nice thing to have, isnt what makes a state 'the best' or not. At least not in my opinion. And if that is indeed ones criteria, then I humbly submit that you can pretty much find non-broadband supported areas in almost every state still.

With some things it makes plenty of sense. You probably know a lot more about vinyl records than most of us here. But internet? That's my generation. Enjoy your dialup if you dig it. The rest of us know better.

Actually, my teen years were about 8 track tapes. :lol: But I stand by my point about a state being 'best' has little to do with its broadband access. And I say that as probably a person that spends more time online than you do.

"Arkansas" is a synonym for "terrible place to live". It means that even with broadband, Arkansas is a terrible place to live. :)

But thats simply an incorrect statement. Arkansas isnt a terrible place to live at all, and in fact, actually has some really great things to offer as I pointed out earlier in the thread.

What was your vote for 'best' Lucy, so we in turn can comment on how terrible that place is? :lol:

Oh, you. :love:

I'm talking more generally about a pattern. But I'd probably get in trouble for going into detail, so I won't. Suffice that you often like to insist you know better because you're old. It's laughable. :)

It's off-topic now. But I'll say it again - broadband is as mandatory as electricity. Anything less and you're camping. And plenty of Americans still have broadband even when they are camping! :crazyeye:

It didn't matter when it didn't exist. Now it exists. The game has changed.

Rock on 8-tracks. I'm sincerely happy for you.

A state without broadband can't be the "best" by any criteria I'm interested in.

Since you've got a wife and kids, it would be pretty damn awful if you spent more time online than I do. I've got enough downtime at work such that when I'm not working (75% of that on the internet), I can surf. You work for the government, right? I'd be pretty pissed if you were getting paid by taxpayers to dick around on OT... but whatever! Hardly the topic!

I'm sure Arkansas is great for you. If I believed in God I'd thank him every twenty minutes for not sticking me in Arkansas.

I don't think there is a single best state. I think USA#1. There are crappy states and there are awesome states but it'd be hard to name just one.

At least we can agree USA#1, right? :deal:

Oh, you. :love:

I'm talking more generally about a pattern. But I'd probably get in trouble for going into detail, so I won't. Suffice that you often like to insist you know better because you're old. It's laughable. :)

There is something to be said about experience isnt there? In general, older people do indeed 'know better' by virtue of their increased life experience. I think thats rather hard to argue against, even though my own kids try to do so. But since I just recently had my two older daughters move back in after not listening to my 'wisdom' they are starting to get a clue that maybe the old man knows what he is talking about. ;)

I think its laughable when younger people generally scoff at an older persons wisdom.

It's off-topic now. But I'll say it again - broadband is as mandatory as electricity. Anything less and you're camping. And plenty of Americans still have broadband even when they are camping! :crazyeye:

I dont think it necessary.....yet. I could still go back to the old way of paying my bills and sending letters, but I do acknowledge it makes life easier. And I do see it becoming more and more essential the more we progress technologically.

It didn't matter when it didn't exist. Now it exists. The game has changed.

At least until the EMP weapons hit, or the power goes out and you dont have a back up. ;)

Rock on 8-tracks. I'm sincerely happy for you.

They were a novelty in their day. These days I enjoy buying all those 'greatest hits' CDs for next to nothing of all the bands I used to have 8 tracks of.

A state without broadband can't be the "best" by any criteria I'm interested in.

However, with wireless tech advances, there is not going to be anything like a state without broadband, and Arkansas assuredly has it.

Looking it up, it turns out that Arkansas even has better broadband coverage by Verizon than most of the other states surrounding it: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...requesttype=NEWREQUEST&coveragetype=broadband

Argument settled. Arkansas has broadband...even more so that most of its neighbors.

I don't think there is a single best state. I think USA#1. There are crappy states and there are awesome states but it'd be hard to name just one.

I dont think any particular one is crappier, or necessarily better than the others to be honest. Having done a fair amount of traveling, I see both good things and bad in all of them. They are all different, but different doesnt necessarily equate to simply being bad.

Variety is the spice of life, is it not?

I'm saddened my state isn't included on the poll, but not too surprised. My answer should be obvious.

I'm saddened my state isn't included on the poll, but not too surprised. My answer should be obvious.

what makes your state special, all you have is deserts whores and mountain oysters (eww)

Never been to Lake Tahoe? Apprently not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tahoe

Dude, you can get that from California!

As for accents, I never really noticed an accent either, however I have heard a lot of griping from out-of staters who have had problems, for example, when a Californian asks them for a pen, which they mishear as pin.

It angers me that The Greatest State in the Union, Wisconsin, is not on that list. Us Wisconsinites take particular pride in our state. Especially after 7 or 8 beers, at that point I will gladly pick a fight with some one just because they aren't from Wisconsin, especially those damn people from illinois. We should give the entire state to a third world country, and then declare war on it just to have a valid reason to burn it to the ground.

Wisconsin is simply the best, hands down. We could beat down all other states, and still be home in time for a dinner of brats, beer, potatoes, and lard.

nah...people from the other states are just way too stupid to realize this obvious fact:king:

Top Bottom