What Video Games Have You Been Playing? IX: Now With 4K VR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Steam likes to update abruptly and because you often need an extra doodad to account for the Steam loader. Heaven help you if you're playing a Bethesda game with their current obsession with updating them at regular intervals for the Creation Club stuff (and thereby breaking F4SE/SKSE constantly).

I know what he means. Been locked out of Skyrim for a couple weeks now (I could play unmodded, but there's no more fun to be had in that).

I cannot tell whether youa re beta-testing or not, aimee.

No, I was just playing with a tool that randomly swapped around all the textures and sounds. It can also randomize the models but that kept making the game crash.

Any game you mod extensively should be brought off Steam wherever possible.

I don't see why.

I've had Steam eat some mods before when updating the game. That wasn't fun to get them back.

I would love to have a Kancolle arcade machine or SEGA to just release the game on PC
SEGA must be milking the Whales, it cost 300 yen for around a 30min game session with 100 yen per ship girl collectible card (and chip) to use with the game. If your ship girl die in the game it cost 300 yen to bring them back to life or they go back to lvl 1
600 yen for an hours entertainment is pretty good value, plus many of the cards can be sold of on the secondary market god knows how many addict there are if there is an entire market just for the cards.
SEGA keeps the game fresh with monthly content updates, new ship girls, missions, limited event cards and so on.

Its a pity that these amazing machines wont reach the west, they require it seems both a permanent server to save progress, roll out updates as well as i believe is a printer inks, specialized cards to print out the ship cards
They basically build an Mobile like app game with top of the line graphics, physical rewards and gambling gapcha mechanics

Liberal Crime Squad is a ride. It's a game where you can release horrors from genetics labs, bluff said horror to make it non-hostile, seduce said horror badly to make it hostile, and then bluff said horror again to make it non-hostile again.

Is Baldur's Gate worth playing today? Is it comparable to Planescape: Torment?
It's comparable (it's the same engine and both are based on ADD2) but the style is very different.
BG2 is the benchmark of the "epic old-school RPG", it's the archetype-done-right.
Torment is more the "artsy" opposite, taking the expectations and putting them on their head.

Don't expect the depth nor the amount of text from Torment, but BG2 is still a very great game and well worth being experienced (and it's available on GOG).

If you buy both BG1 and BG2, then you can use the TuTu mod setup that allows you to play BG1 in the BG2 engine. You'll also want the Gibberlings3 website, as it's one of the best Infinity Engine websites out there.

I would love to have a Kancolle arcade machine or SEGA to just release the game on PC
SEGA must be milking the Whales, it cost 300 yen for around a 30min game session with 100 yen per ship girl collectible card (and chip) to use with the game. If your ship girl die in the game it cost 300 yen to bring them back to life or they go back to lvl 1
600 yen for an hours entertainment is pretty good value, plus many of the cards can be sold of on the secondary market god knows how many addict there are if there is an entire market just for the cards.
SEGA keeps the game fresh with monthly content updates, new ship girls, missions, limited event cards and so on.

Its a pity that these amazing machines wont reach the west, they require it seems both a permanent server to save progress, roll out updates as well as i believe is a printer inks, specialized cards to print out the ship cards
They basically build an Mobile like app game with top of the line graphics, physical rewards and gambling gapcha mechanics
Battleship teenagers? Japan is beyond any hope...:shake:

BTW, looking for the strategy summun I have come to this Gary Gryigsby guy and his War in the East/West series. Looks amazing (almost as amazing as the price) but the 400 pages manual is a serious set back. Anyone here with experience on the matter?

Hmmmm.
Spoiler :

2717418-tumblr_ni6zbett031rrr564o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Telltale Games is going out of business. Apparently only the first season of The Walking Dead and Minecraft Story Mode made any money. The rest of their products were commercial failures even if the critics loved them. I read a bunch of comments from people that played their Walking Dead and Borderlands episodic games and a common complaint was that the choices presented in them had no effect on the final outcome of the game's story so they stopped buying them after the first entry in each series.

Telltale Games is going out of business. Apparently only the first season of The Walking Dead and Minecraft Story Mode made any money. The rest of their products were commercial failures even if the critics loved them. I read a bunch of comments from people that played their Walking Dead and Borderlands episodic games and a common complaint was that the choices presented in them had no effect on the final outcome of the game's story so they stopped buying them after the first entry in each series.

They are pretty much "video stories with clicks," not games.

Even if the choices did have a real effect, I still think they would have gone out of business. That's because the whole "interactive movie" approach to games is something gamers aren't going to be entertained by for very long, no matter how good the story may be. That's because such games take a lot of agency away from the player and it feels more like you are watching a 10 to 20 hour movie rather than playing a game. Which is fine if you are in the mood to watch a movie, but not so fine when you are in the mood to play a game.

Another problem with the Telltale Games approach to games is that it takes away one of the main draws of video games in the first place. Games are supposed to allow the player to inject themselves into the situation presented and allow them to become someone else for a few hours. Telltale Games and their "interactive movies" simply don't allow players to do that. So the business they did have really just came from the novelty effect of their first few games, but now that's worn off and we are seeing players just aren't that interested in what Telltale has to offer.

Japan version of ww2 taught in all there schools invloves

41 - Japan is greated as liberators and winning
??
45 - Japan loses war and has nukes dropped on it

Thats where anime comes in to fill in the embrasssing void of Japan being the bad guys during the second world war
A few generations from now, Japan will be the good guys allied with the Allies fighting against the evil alien invaders from another world

Imma say that most games are less reactive to the player than TTG's series (at least the earlier ones that I know). While the reactivity in TTG is... somewhat illusionary and suggested to a naive player to be greater than it is, that in fact enhances the experience. Its suspension of disbelief like the theatre.

So imo people are sulky about being "tricked" when really they should voluntarily allow themselves to be tricked.

Seeing TTG fold so suddenly was surprising, but it really shouldn't be in hindsight.
They made a big name for themselves with Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us and then they ran with it, churning out one game after the other. The genre itself isn't the problem. There's obviously demand for that. There's a niche market for every genre.
But making two or three game/series every year ? That's a good way to oversaturate the market all by yourself and become your own worst competion. What really surprised me was that they had 250 employees and never branched out into other genres. How could anyone think that this is a sustainable strategy ?

They are pretty much "video stories with clicks," not games.
Pretty much. I don't really get the point of "playing" a Telltale "game" instead of just watching the actual series.
Japan version of ww2 taught in all there schools invloves

41 - Japan is greated as liberators and winning
??
45 - Japan loses war and has nukes dropped on it

Thats where anime comes in to fill in the embrasssing void of Japan being the bad guys during the second world war
A few generations from now, Japan will be the good guys allied with the Allies fighting against the evil alien invaders from another world
Actual real anime that is about an alternate reality WW2 where Japan do win, is the good guy, and ends up fighting Germany (after resolving the whole Japan-USA war where they ends up allied).

No need to wait for a few generations, they already did it a few generations ago :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom