Whats the most bug-free climate? Bug-free cities?

Las Vegas, but don't come here our state has the highest unemployment in the nation. And we do have cockroaches (as any big city does)

I would think a city where the climate is cool (or cold) and dry for most of the year.

One problem is many of the cities with cold weather during winter also have humid moist summers which turns into a breeding ground for bugs.

Pac NW isnt bad, athough we still get our share of flys, mosquitos, wasps, fleas (if you have pets). One problem is in the NW no one hardly has air conditioning since an open window is all you need to keep cool, however, unless you have good screens, thats an open invitation for buggies to come on inside. I often keep a flyswatter around the house to chase down the occasional fly that manages to get in the house.

But the Pac NW is far, far better than the South. By magnitudes.

SF is pretty bug free. We maintain an even 50-65 all year. 70 is a hot day for us. I've probably seen maybe 3 or 4 mosquitoes in the past year. Major pests in urban areas are roaches and bedbugs, but these are (mostly) avoidable.

Dry and cold is a good combo for no bugs. The colder the better. If it's really cold you rule out bedbugs and ticks, I think. Once you've gotten rid of mosquitoes, bedbugs, and ticks, that's basically the entire annoying insect kingdom right there. Well except maybe ants, but they're everywhere aren't they?

the other solution is go to bug therapy and get over the fear of bugs.

But the Pac NW is far, far better than the South. By magnitudes.

So true! :(

Moving from Seattle to a swamp in Mississippi was a climate and wildlife shock in addition to a culture shock.

the other solution is go to bug therapy and get over the fear of bugs.

Bugs that are pests are annoying. I don't think many people are afraid of ticks, they just don't appreciate contracting friggin lyme disease or some blood sucking parasite engorging itself on your life force.

Look to higher altitude areas as well. The higher you go the less bugs, especially the annoying flying kind (like mosquitoes).

I have lived in Quito Ecuador and La Paz Bolivia, and don't remember bugs ever being a problem there. Of course they are both about 10,000 ft above sea level.

Quito's climate was actually quite nice (once you got used to the lack of oxygen). Since it was equatorial, the temps were almost always between the mid 50s at night to the mid 70s (maybe) in the day.

The cockroach populace of Ekaterinburg had been dwindling lately for reasons unknown.

So true! :(

Moving from Seattle to a swamp in Mississippi was a climate and wildlife shock in addition to a culture shock.

Aww dang you lived in seattle? Thats what I was going to say, I lived there for eightish months when I was younger and dont remember there being any significant bug problems. Also, I remember when I was in south arizona, there wasnt anything that I remember except for flies.

High desert climes.

Except right along the Rio Grande, Albuquerque has almost no mosquitoes
No ticks
No chiggers
No gnats
No Noseeums
No yellow jackets
Few Fleas (haven't ever had them on our cats in 20 years)
In house roaches typically are only a problem if you are connected to city sewers, but can be controlled without serious poisoning of your house.
Ants are the biggest problem, but not significant.

Seattle is definitely an open choice... drizzly rain and somewhat cold prevents real mosquito issues, and there weren't any cockroaches.

I was just curious if there are places even more bug-free than Seattle!

Roaches can be combated with traps and being conscious about how you store food and garbage, like any other vermin.

Ants too, but their super-intelligent alien hive mind is harder to deal with.

Your best bets are probably Antarctica, northern Canada, Siberia, northern Greenland, and maybe Poland.
One can get eaten alive by mosquitoes in N. Canada and Siberia... and this is not figuratively spoken.

Roaches can be combated with traps and being conscious about how you store food and garbage, like any other vermin.

Yeah, I rarely see them because I'm really conscious about it, but its nearly impossible to really get rid of them in a place like this thats such a perfect climate for them.

Parts of Spain - Zaragoza was almost entirely insect-free.

Yeah, I rarely see them because I'm really conscious about it, but its nearly impossible to really get rid of them in a place like this thats such a perfect climate for them.

True. They also tend to be bigger and more disgusting looking in warmer climates. :nuke:

Calgary was pretty bug free, so perhaps Denver, which I hear is similar, would be good?

I don't much care for bugs either... except maybe those nice bees. :)

Top Bottom