1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which book are you reading now? Volume XIV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EnglishEdward, Dec 16, 2019.

1. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

In its way as short-sighted an attitude as that of a teenager who says "Old stuff is boring" but teenagers sometimes grow up.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

For @El_Machinae

hobbsyoyo and El_Machinae like this.
  3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Must be an author thing - there were more than a few notable authors who disliked what was their own contemporary/near contemporary period's literature. I don't expect you casuals to agree with us :D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

With notes in contemporary French related to the semantic shifts, i.e. clarifications which render the text readable for a layman.

5. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

Right now I'm about halfway through An American Marriage. The last book I read was All The Light We Cannot See, which was amazing. I cried for about two hours after finishing it.

6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Another night I couldn't sleep so I've finished The Secret Commonwealth, vol. 2 of The Book of Dust by Phillip Pullman.
    Entertaining as always, the way he weaves real world issues into his novels without being preachy is quite skilful.

tjs282 and Birdjaguar like this.
  7. Josu

Josu King

Ended with Sidi. Good book if considered adventures book, not so good if considered as historical novel
    Starting third volume of The Wheel of Time

8. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Finished Cibola Burn, somewhat underwhelmed compared to the previous 3. Hope Babylon's Ashes Nemesis Games will be better...

EDITED after seeing @EgonSpengler's post. Now I feel dumb for not checking the correct title of Book 5 before posting ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

fwiw, I thought Cibola Burn was the least absorbing of the books. It took me 4 years to get back around to reading Nemesis Games, and season 4 of The Expanse was much better than I expected, in part because I thought Cibola Burn was kind of dull.

May I recommend Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, which I've recently reread. Also Faulks' Charlotte Gray and Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (not to be confused with Jennifer Kent's The Nightingale - completely different).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I third the opinion the Cibola Burn was the low point of the series to date. The last book should drop soon I think. I wonder if they planned for their planet-side jaunt to be only one book or if they took the negative feedback in stride and went back to a predominantly in-space setting? It was a neat experiment but it didn't quite work. Our thoughts are pretty common in the Reddit discussions I've seen on the books.

11. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Finally got round to reading Bless me, Ultima. Worth it.

12. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Started Babylon's Ashes on the train home from Freiburg yesterday. It's a ~6 hour journey, so I'm roughly halfway through it already... ;)

13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I just started Station Eleven, but Emily St. John Mandel. Topically, it begins with a lethal flu pandemic.

14. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Picked up next 2 volumes of ASOIAF and Stonemouth by Iain Banks in Oxfam yesterday :dance:

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Sounds like a rave-worthy day!

16. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm moving through Black Leopard Red Wolf I haven't read anything like it in a long time. The writing is just superb. The story is a mix of African folk tale and fantasy with a really creative spin on it all. I'm only a third of the way through so I haven't a clue how it will end or even get there. Not for the faint of heart.

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

Stonemouth is so good!

AmazonQueen likes this.
  18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

By the time I finished Collapsing Empire, I realized I had listened to the complete audiobook years ago. I had forgotten all the details so I didn't mind and overall it was a good book. It has good pacing, if a bit less frantic and kinetic than The Expanse. I will be reading the rest of the trilogy.

The tl;dr: version of the story is
    Spoiler :
    Humans have spread out to cover a large chunk of the galaxy using special warp lanes. Human society is held together by a galactic empire, headed by an Emperor who is also the head of a state religion. The Emperor was paying a guy on a backwater planet to study the warp lanes (called the flow) to see if they would collapse. The physicist guy found out that indeed they are all about to collapse and that sets off a frantic rush by the physicist to get his son (also a physicists) back to the imperial capital to warn the Emperor. FTL communication is not really a thing in this universe, you have to travel through the flow to send a message on and that can take up to a year of travel from the backwater planet. Oh and that backwater planet is undergoing a civil war and the Emperor dies and there is court intrigue.

I am almost finished with my biography of Sergei Korolev, who held a position in the Soviet space program that was as if you combined Von Braun, James Webb and a dozen other major CEOs and government administrators in one.

I just got pinged by my library that the books are due back in 2 days. I'm so busy with work I may have to renew them online. :(

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That reminds me of the time I had to renew Stephen Lawhead's Byzantium over the phone whilst I was spending time at the NHS's pleasure.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I had never checked out 2 books at once and I figured it would be a stretch but things really got away from me. I'm within 50 pages of finishing the Korolev book so I might just make it after all.