Which Films have you seen lately? 19 - Get Your Film's Name Outta Your Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the best Indiana Jones film.
I guess I should watch it. Which streaming services carry it?

Reported for trolling :p

Clearly The Last Crusade is the best one. It has Sean

Last edited:
Is this because you do not believe the '80s existed so it's the only film in the series that you've watched?

Is this because you do not believe the '80s existed so it's the only film in the series that you've watched?
:lol:

No, I think I followed a similar approach as Star Wars. I only saw them all after the fourth came out. (With SW, I saw them all after Revenge of the Sith.) The older movies seemed overhyped to my naïve, inexperienced sensibilities back then. I did a rewatch last year and didn't see a reason to change that opinion.

The_J was kind of right, though. I don't think I rated the fourth highly. I just think it's the least bad one of the series. (Keep in mind I largely have popcorn tastes when it comes to film.)

The licensing rights are FUBARed right now in the US. They're not streaming anywhere anymore. You can rent them via Amazon, if you're really hurting, but eh.

If you have access to a Canadian/European IP that isn't blocked by Netflix, they're all available internationally still.

Because "fame" is a curse , it follows people and because the young lot (who will watch it) has already heard (that ı have insider information that ı will not like it) might have trouble ...

because it is Top Gun alright . A proper example of respecting the source material and whatever . Actually even cool as a movie and stuff . will only cause them to think am an idiot as usual and it will just be another cycle into irritation .

three thumbs down . Borrowed one ; was not aware that Connelly was a fan of the original . As it might have been seen by the few in the movie hall , one was expended immediately at the beginning . ı hate the F-35 that much . Though it is only there to replace the A-6 , thank God . Follows the original in a way that does not assault the memories (fond or otherwise) but not as a photocopy . Actually in a polished way . No sexual harassment not just because of Tailhook , people of color actually talk , in the most distressing scene of the movie it is even claimed they love nature , like by not allowing it to get polluted . (Uh , because that's a lie ...) lf you are one who has been following , you can even see the intensity of the thing that passed between the "fighters" and the "bombers" in the 1990s with the homage that has been stuck into this one , to remind the utterly forgettable Bosnian war epic thing ... with the shot down F-18 pilot . Because officially or whatever that the Top Gun no longer exists .

a good movie . At least a good Top Gun movie . Except it actually and simply doesn't work that way . Before people can go daddy issues , mommy would actually clean up all those SA-3s which somehow deny that airspace to F-35 . What you will expect to see is highly unlikely . Not just because the internet rumours say only one might have been delivered to Russia (despite all the expert naysayers) North Koreans are rumoured to secretly have MiG-25s . Funny how the ground team stays on the ground to have the snow melt and an actually awesome moment of restraint for Hollywood to have Mitchell to go "what the hell" at some fancy move by things ... USN which goes a long way to defend Cheney's choice of the subpar , by the archaic structure at the museum stuff , somehow avoids to report how they arranged to sabotage the F-14D with a flight control system ported over from the Eurofighter somehow . Because slower versions could happen in the Tomcat , before it stalled and crashed . And the extreme moment of Bull dropping with the kid unaware how things or wings work . We didn't have internet in the 1980s , we might have fallen for it .

I am watching the Shining.
The cinematography is nice.
It's atrocious what Kubrick did to Duvall.
Nicholson can't stop overacting.
I watched the film this week! (and also The Shinning, in which Homer J. takes the place of Jack Torrance)

What is your comment on Duvall?

I rewatched Tombstone last night. Val Kilmer is just awesome and then there was the total surprise of seeing Dana Delany who I had forgotten was in it! Makes me want to go back and watch China Beach again.

:lol:

No, I think I followed a similar approach as Star Wars. I only saw them all after the fourth came out. (With SW, I saw them all after Revenge of the Sith.) The older movies seemed overhyped to my naïve, inexperienced sensibilities back then. I did a rewatch last year and didn't see a reason to change that opinion.
I find this pretty perssuasive because it mirrors the anecdotal experience that I had showing Star Wars to my wife. I've told the story here already IIRC, but the point is that she was thoroughly unimpressed with EP4 at the time that the RotS was coming out and it was only once I showed her EP1 and EP2 that the more modern special effects made her interested enough in the story to actually sit through EPs 4, 5 and 6.

Its the same for Dune, and alot of other beloved 80s movie franchises. If you tried to watch them cold today, with modern sensibilities, they'd be unwatchable. Its only nostalgia that makes you able to watch them. If you didn't see them back in the day, when they were relatively new, its too late. The movies are too dated.

I never liked The Shining, and Nicholson got on my nerves with his constant overacting in every film.
Your Duvall story link confirms what i thought about the movie..
Halloween, The Omen, The Thing etc are all much better horror classics imo.

I never liked The Shining, and Nicholson got on my nerves with his constant overacting in every film.

Imo only the first few minutes (up to the maid scene) of Omen are good, but

[Nicholson] YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH [/Nicholson]

^_^

Blast of Silence (1961), a quirky noir film by some people who'd been banned from Hollywood during McCarthyism and also shows some rarely-filmed parts of New York.
Ah. Yes, I did know about the ‘enforced method acting’. I read about it long ago, but it's still worth (if nasty) re-reading about.
I like the film a lot as a film but I have to make the caveat that it's not the first time that Kubrick completely reinterpreted a source book and did his own story with his own characters. As the article says, King had written a different story (a lot of it is IIRC about Jack Torrance channelling King's alcoholism, and, also, the different Wendy) and Kubrick went ahead with his own.

My top three horror films are Spielberg's Jurassic Park, Sommers' The Mummy, and, of course, Wes Craven's Scream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom