Which Films have you seen lately? Certificate 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost track of del Toro after Pan's Labyrinth (top imo), are there any more films you would recommend from him?
I already watched Devil's Backbone..was good i think.
Mimic (1997) is an underrated creature-feature, and Blade II (2002) and Hellboy (2004) are good superhero/action movies. Hellboy has a little more humor, I think, so that's probably the one I'd recommend first. Hellboy II (2008) was alright, but only if you liked the first one. Pacific Rim (2013) didn't really work for me as well as I hoped it would, but I know people who loved it. I haven't seen Crimson Peak (2015) or Nightmare Alley (2021). The latter has been getting good reviews, but I don't know yet if I'll get around to it. Pan's Labyrinth and The Shape of Water are probably the ones to recommend to people who aren't already fans of the genres he plays in.

Yep, My. Mimic is an interesting film. One of his first. (For some reason I vaguely remember mentioning this to you before maybe back when I recommended PL to you, but may be misremembering.) Cronos is his first movie I believe. I can barely remember it, but may be worth watching just to see his first movie.

Pacific Rim is probably his biggest budget release. Did not do particular well, relatively, as it was a huge release. Kinda cheesy fun though.

Shape of Water won Oscar for Best Picture. Def a must watch.

Looking forward to Nightmare Alley.

Have not seen Crimson Peak either. Looks like a very stylish horror, but don't think this one is particularly my thing.

He wrote all the Hobbit movies.

I liked Blade II. You may have seen the Blade movies.

Last edited:
Maybe I need to re-watch it, but I remember the story of Blade II being utter crap. Only thing worse was the story of Blade III (so kinda similar to the Matrix).
I didn't like Pan's Labyrinth either, but the Hellboys were good.
Normally I don't go anyways after who has produced a film, since I don't care about the person, but rather about the story and the setting of the movie. But yes, there's probably a relationship ^^.

Boo J! Booooo! :D

Blade III wasn't really even worth to be called a Blade film - that canadian deadpool guy ruined it already, and the plot was trash too. But yes, Blade II already had serious issues and a boring story. Blade I was the best :)

I didn't like Pan's Labyrinth much either. Some scenes looked cool, but the story wasn't much imo.

Footloose (1984) - A pretty cohesive coming-of-age story. You kind of knew how it would end, but not how it would get there. More importantly, a fun movie to watch, and plausible. The teenage thrill-seeking. The characters in general. The eventual acknowledgement of the town elders that they couldn't prevent the 80s from having arrived.

Also pretty good music, notably Kenny Loggins and Bonnie Tyler. But I'd argue that the 80s are perhaps the best decade for music, so if your musical tastes lie elsewhere you might disagree.

Jack Reacher (2012) - A good, but not great, action movie. I guess they intended it to start a franchise, but it's no Dr. No. I'd come back for the second if it were still set in Pittsburgh and still had Rosamund Pike as the lawyer and Richard Jenkins as the DA, kind of like how the Dark Knight trilogy had Harvey Dent and Rachel Dawes, as well as Batman, appear across films. There could be some interesting character development if that were the case. But my impression is they intend to only carry over Reacher, and at that point it's a "if there isn't a better-sounding action movie to see" situation. Because in the end, no part of it nor the whole was particularly impressive.

Reacher was good enough. Amazon Prime Video has a Reacher series starting next week.

I was about to go, "Isn't there already a Reacher series? With the Office guy?" but apparently not. The hell is the show with him? All these espionage-action-white-man shows and movies blend in together.

I was about to go, "Isn't there already a Reacher series? With the Office guy?" but apparently not. The hell is the show with him? All these espionage-action-white-man shows and movies blend in together.
Answered my own question: Jack Ryan.

Jack Reacher. Jack Frost. Jack Sparrow. Jack Skellington. Jack Bauer. Jack Shephard. Jack the Ripper. Jack Jack Jack Jack Jack

Jack of Shadows!

Encanto - Wonderful. Watched with wife and kids and barely fell asleep at all ;) (its a cartoon). Reminiscent of Moana in many ways, with some very similar characters, roles, and plot points, but absolutely original enough to be considered a new story rather than a copycat. Lin Manuel Miranda's soundtrack shines and the story is both a heartwarming tale of family, while also being a heart wrenching story about loss, isolation and the pressure of expectations. At the same time, its kindof a superhero movie... no joke. So that was kinda cool.

Great movie. I recommend watching, especially if you have kids.

Just jumped to the top of my to watch list: Navalny.

The most extraordinary sequence of the film is when, from Navalny’s Black Forest recuperation hideout, he made a prank call to one of the hit squad he believes carried out the poisoning, and got him to reveal details about the hit by pretending to be an angry security services boss.
Though I cannot find it anywhere. I wonder if sundance have actually sorted out secure remote viewing.

Last edited:
John Wick (2014).

Finally a decent action movie.

John Wick (2014).

Finally a decent action movie.
2014 was eight years ago, dawg.
I was going to suggest Nobody (2021), which is streaming on HBO Max now, but if you haven't already seen Atomic Blonde (2017) yet, watch that first. David Leitch, who directed Atomic Blonde and Deadpool 2, and who's listed in IMDb as an 'uncredited' director of John Wick, has a new one coming out later this year called Bullet Train, about a bunch of assassins shooting the [smack] out of each other on a Shinkansen. 'Bullet Train'? Get it? Clever, clever.

There's a reason they made 3 of them.
I still haven't seen the sequels, come to think of it.

(NSFW for one swear word)

(No swear words, but Charlize Theron might be too awesome for some people. So, y'know, just be careful.)

This is from the Star Wars thread, but I'm replying to it here.

I've never given a show or movie a 10/10. There's always little things I don't like, so a 9.5 is the highest I'll rate.
I wonder if I have...

According to my offline movie tracker, only A Silent Voice and What If have gotten 10/10 scores. :think: I think both of these were recommended by @local_hero. :lol:

On my web tracker, though, I give anything over a 9 a 5-stars rating. I have quite a lot of 9.5s and it feels "right" to give them 5 instead of 4.5 in a 5-star system.

Spoiler :

I have watched Atomic Blonde.

2014 was eight years ago, dawg.
And yet it feels so much like a classic 1990s action film. Keanu Reeves himself said in an interview some time ago: ‘Yeah, some guys beat me up and steal my car. And they steal my dog.’

He's so good at doing a deadpan parody of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom