Which movies have you watched? 13 - In a world where...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Godfather

I saw this movie when it first came out and wandered away thinking "What is the point?" I haven't seen it since...until today when it was on cable.

It still lacks a moral compass, :dunno: and for that reason, I find it pointless. :thumbsdown:

However, the set design, wardrobe. lighting, and acting are all superb. :goodjob:

I particularly liked the juxtaposition of the vortex of violence set against the soft-spoken delivery of lines. Abe Vigota's death speech is particularly poignant. :sad:

It still lacks a moral compass, :dunno: and for that reason, I find it pointless. :thumbsdown:
The moral compass is right there and, to complete the story, you should watch the second part.

Lemon, I recently considered making Gal Gadot my avatar. Would that have raised your opinion about my posts?
Probably not, but it would make me a little excited every time you wrote one.

Besides, I already hold you in high regard. :p

I don't know whether to say ‘aaaww, she holds me in high regard’ or ‘dang, there goes my strategy for avoiding infractions’.

Back on topic: Birdcage. Not a moment wasted IMHO.

Whenever I'm channel cruising and see Birdcage, I always seem to stop and watch it. It always makes me laugh.

Yeah Birdcage is a phenomenal movie on so many levels.

I saw Train to Busan and it was awesome. I saw Lord of War and it was good but very cheesy and over-the-top at times.

I saw Lord of War and it was good but very cheesy and over-the-top at times.
Isn't that with Nick Cage? *googles* Well there you go then... ;)

Just watched The Princess Bride. Again. But this time in German. "Unvorschtellbar!"*

*Yes, Takh, I do know that's not how it's meant to be spelt...

Isn't that with Nick Cage? *googles* Well there you go then... ;)

LoW is supposed to be one of 2 or 3 decent films starring Nick Cage. Considering the sort of trainwrecks he is in - and more often than not they are trainwrecks due to him - that means the film is ok. I have watched part of it but then got bored.

Nicholas Cage sort of specializes in "all in." If you are going to produce that one absolutely unforgettable line you are going to have to accept the consequences of throwing out a whole lot of stuff that will be called "cheesy" or "over the top." If you play the dialog game more conservatively you miss the condemnations, but you don't generally get the home runs either. I think the majority of the absolutely universal movie taglines come from writers/actors who were pretty far out there most of the time. "Quality" dialog is more "realistic" and doesn't have that cheesy bombast to it...but it is usually only memorable en masse, as "a good film." It doesn't produce the quoted one liners that become part of the lexicon.

One of the very first movies I rented on video to watch with a school pal (it was his VCR) was Raising Arizona (don't ask me why I picked that one, I don't remember). We were about 12.

I have been happy to make time for just about anything involving either Cage or the Coen Brothers ever since.

Far From Home is a 9.5/10 for me. The people I watched it with didn't like it but I loved it.

I watched Captive State after it was posted about here. Surprisingly good despite it doing terribly at the box office. The director liked my tweet. :D

I just watched Midsommar.

Didn't like how it played out but loved how it was shot, the setting, the main characters (even with their faults).

I did just want them to burn the cult to the ground, but ah well.

To be completely honest, Nick Cage's acting in Lord of War was not the main source of cheese. That was plot and a lot of the spectacular events in it.

I watched Lady in the Water last night and it was not at all what I thought it would be. I expected The Village: Adult Swim Edition and instead got Splash remixed by way of Stranger Things. It was a surprisingly awesome fairy tale type of movie but the thing that made it stand out was the way that the fairy tale unfolded 'in public'. What I mean is that so often with these types of movies, the main character gets pulled into a fantasy scenario which no one else can see or participate in and it is like this secret thing that drives tension because the main character looks insane to everyone else. Instead, in this movie, the main character goes about recruiting a whole team to help out with the plot and somehow this made the movie much more enjoyable than if it had been a secret mission sort of movie.

Does anyone have any filters/criteria for their movies?

I try not to watch movies rated below 7 stars/70% critically; as I was 'raised' as a critic and 'raised' to write/design well, so I see the mechanics of things.

I also try to avoid rape; it's often of little to no use to any story but simple shock value. Boring and off-putting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom