Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking of actors, how many could handle these roles?

I went with some friends on Tuesday to see Little Women. I really liked it, Saorise Ronan knocked it out of the park, as she always does. I thought it was a really great movie, and touched a lot on the sexism suffered by the sisters. I highly recommend it.

I think my next movie will be Emma, that looks really good.

A love story 'til ... Alzheimer's.

I went with some friends on Tuesday to see Little Women. I really liked it, Saorise Ronan knocked it out of the park, as she always does. I thought it was a really great movie, and touched a lot on the sexism suffered by the sisters. I highly recommend it.

Never saw the movie, book was ok. (Two older sisters)

On more positive notes, last weekend I saw 1917. While the plot itself is OK but not remarkable, it was so beautifully filmed that it was a real treat watching it on the big screen.

Mission: Impossible III (2006)
Excellent for a summer afternoon's mindless action flick.

With such a glowing endorsement then I'll try and watch it in cinemas whenever it comes out here.

On more positive notes, last weekend I saw 1917. While the plot itself is OK but not remarkable, it was so beautifully filmed that it was a real treat watching it on the big screen.
I thought the plot took something predictable and kept it fresh with decent twists and turns. But the cinematography and score were so moving. The scene where one of the guys is walking through a burnt out town at night is truly haunting. The song for that scene is called 'Night Window' and I play it a lot these days.

Shin Godzilla.

I understand original language purists, but if I had my time over I think I'd try and get a dubbed version. Sooooo many subtitles all over the screen.

Shin Godzilla.

I understand original language purists, but if I had my time over I think I'd try and get a dubbed version. Sooooo many subtitles all over the screen.
I didn't care for Godzilla's design in that one. I also didn't think it was a grand masterpiece of the genre, which gets me boo'd among super fans. It was ok though, definitely interesting and different. I prefer dubs when I can get them, even if they're not good. I don't watch Godzilla for the plot after all.

Black Butler

https://archive.org/details/BlackButler_201804

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Butler_(film)
The film is set in a parallel, quasi-Edwardian history. The world contains two major powers: the West, ruled by the Queen, and the East. The Queen manipulates events worldwide using operatives called the Queen's Watchdogs. The film's protagonist, Earl Kiyoharu Genpou (replacing Ciel Phantomhive from the anime), is a Queen's Watchdog in an unnamed Eastern metropolis.
Fantasy, Suspense, Comedy, Mystery, Japan, Demons, Butlers, Police Officers, Police Stations, Murders, Mummies, Deception, Betrayal, Booze, Night Clubs, Trafficking, Kidnapping, Drugs, Elixirs, Toys, Organizations
The heroine has sold her soul to the devil and in return gets a Japanese Demon as a guard.

Last edited:
What happened ... no posting, well here's a Korean flick about a cop getting in a problem with a beautiful crime boss.

Dracula. Jesus, this is so bad. DNF during the first "episode."

The Count looked like the Grand Nagus from DS9. And the setup for the plot was just really abysmal.

Then I heard Moffat was in charge of it. So not a surprise in hindsight.
You need the true Dracula, which I'm about to watch.

There aren't any good movies filmed before the '90s, change my mind.

Oh, I understand there are important and influential and game-changing films, but they're all freaking crap by today's standards.

Notable exceptions:

-12 Angry Men
-To Kill A Mockingbird
-Monty Python
-Blade Runner
-Smokey and the Bandit
-Parent Trap

-Lots of Disney animations, but that's almost a separate category

Last edited:
There aren't any good movies filmed before the '90s, change my mind.

Oh, I understand there are important and influential and game-changing films, but they're all freaking crap by today's standards.

Notable exceptions:

-12 Angry Men
-To Kill A Mockingbird
-Monty Python
-Blade Runner
-???
OK, what is a good movie, is it one your willing to watch over and over no matter the subject matter or one that you see one time and are impressed.

Example of the first might be
Have seen several times.

the second
Saw once, enjoyed.

Which is good? Depends on the viewer.

Last edited:
Every single one of the IMDB's "top 100 films of the 20th century" from the '90s qualifies to me as a good or great film. The ones before the 90s, not so much. Note: I looked at this list after I already made the claim, yet it backs up my gut-feel claim perfectly.

@abradley both would qualify I suppose, although there's definitely a distinction between good movie and great movie. For the purposes of my claim, just good/entertaining will work, it doesn't need to be a masterpiece or work of art.

I don't tend to rewatch many movies at all, so it's not much of a metric.

Citizen Kane might be a great illustration of my point. I haven't actually seen it, but I have seen youtube videos where it has been mentioned at length. It's described as groundbreaking, innovative, even defining of the entire movie industry after it was released. The problem with being the first good movie is that every movie after you improves upon the baseline you drew up, so like the record holder for the 1936 Olympics, it is no longer considered good. It's outdated. It's full of tropes we've already seen before (in newer movies) and perhaps not executed as well (it was the first time they did it, no practice, no frame of reference for improvements). To make another analogy, Quake was the first (second?) 3D shooter and it was ridiculously cool and amazing... when it was new. It's unplayable now. It's aged.

Last edited:
Comedies are the strongest exceptions due to their nature. I don't think I'm familiar with that one though.

Eddie Murphy before he got weird. The second movie is pretty good too. The third... middling.

I just found out they're making another sequel 26 years later. Not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom