White Pride

Communisto

Condottiere
Is there anything wrong with it? The term has alot of negative baggage in people's minds of horrible things (white supremacy, nazism) but at the end of the day, is white pride worse than asian pride, black pride etc? And if you think that, isnt that racist? I've gotten alot of dirty looks from people whenever I say that im proud of my white heritage if it ever comes up in conversation, meanwhile it's totally socially acceptable for someone to say "I'm proud of being black/hispanic/asian". There's obviously a double standard here on the subject of race in western society. Thoughts?

Is there anything wrong with it? The term has alot of negative baggage in people's minds of horrible things (white supremacy, nazism) but at the end of the day, is white pride worse than asian pride, black pride etc? And if you think that, isnt that racist? I've gotten alot of dirty looks from people whenever I say that im proud of my white heritage if it ever comes up in conversation, meanwhile it's totally socially acceptable for someone to say "I'm proud of being black/hispanic/asian". There's obviously a double standard here on the subject of race in western society. Thoughts?

I agree white pride is exactly like black pride or asian pride, i.e. they're all a lot of crap.
Furthermore, you can not be proud of something you're not responsible for.
"Hey! Sunny weather! Man, am I proud of that!"

Theres no point in having pride for any race.

You should be proud of YOUR accomplishments, not what people of the same race as you have done.

I think it is silly to have pride in your race because you have no control over what race you were born into.

But I don't see how white pride is any worse than black or Asian pride.

Racial pride is lame.

Theres no point in having pride for any race.

You should be proud of YOUR accomplishments, not what people of the same race as you have done.

Fugitive Sisyphus said:
I think it is silly to have pride in your race because you have no control over what race you were born into.

But I don't see how white pride is any worse than black or Asian pride.

:ninja: all of you!

I'm not proud of being white, I'd simply rather be white. Not that any other race or color is inferior, but I simply prefer white chics.

1. pride in race is stupid from the outset. The idea that you'd rather play to that level of stupidity rather than question the general logic and merit of racial pride says something.
2. If a double standard exists, participating in trying to break the double standard by adopting the same behavior you reject is stupid.
3. Racial pride as a minority is a whole lot different than white pride given that white pride movements have been used as vehicle to discriminate, while minority pride usually is self contained to positive self image.
4. Racial pride as a minority is also stupid because it tries to cash in on the success of those that came before you while you havent actually done anything yourself.

So you can't be pride of your immediate heritage? I like the history of my background and I'm proud to belong to it. Whats wrong with that? It's not to say it's better/worse than anything else or that i dont take proud of my own acheivements its just nice to think about every once and a while.

Ooh, this ties in with the research paper on censorship I finished a while back!

One part was campus speech codes...and how people think a lot of repressed people are actually turning out to be white people!

Yeah. Like that "water buffalo" incident? One guy was trying to study when there were various women of various ethnicities outside yelling up a storm. He stuck his head out the window and called them "water buffalo" and got sued for racial comments, or something like that. And "water buffalo" isn't even a raciest term...

Or that time a newspaper got hijacked by a group of blacks because it was against affirmative action. Not one of the participants was punished, and the security guard who chased them down was reprimanded.

And before anybody calls me, say, a neo-Nazi, I happen to be ethnically Chinese.

Is it wrong to be proud of being white? What's the point, even? I mean, if we're all supposedly "equal", than what is the point of celebrating our differentness? I never understood that.

"Hey, our company totally doesn't discriminate, even though just by saying that, it implies that there is something inherently different about each race that necessitates different attitudes toward each one, but we don't because we feel that they are equal!"

...But that's more off-topic.

In short: If we're really all the same, then it shouldn't matter, right?

So you can't be pride of your immediate heritage? I like the history of my background and I'm proud to belong to it. Whats wrong with that? It's not to say it's better/worse than anything else or that i dont take proud of my own acheivements its just nice to think about every once and a while.

No you cannot be proud of it. It doesnt make sense.

I do agree that there is a double standard on the subject. On the other hand I'm not exactly sure what's there to be proud of. I can understand pride for one's own actions but why be proud of something that you have absolutely no control over?

I'm proud of my German-Austrian heritage, but not necessarily of my "white" heritage. White is a color, I don't see what there is to be proud of.

So you can't be pride of your immediate heritage? I like the history of my background and I'm proud to belong to it.

But what exactly did you do to deserve that heritage? You were BORN white, it's not as if you chose it!

Whats wrong with that? It's not to say it's better/worse than anything else or that i dont take proud of my own acheivements its just nice to think about every once and a while.

There's a difference between liking History and being proud of your race. One is stupid. The other ain't.

I'm proud of my German-Austrian heritage, but not necessarily of my "white" heritage. White is a color, I don't see what there is to be proud of.

when i said white i meant more european. I defenetly did not mean skin colour as a source of pride, i more meant it historically.
But what exactly did you do to deserve that heritage? You were BORN white, it's not as if you chose it!

There's a difference between liking History and being proud of your race. One is stupid. The other ain't.

then how come no one raises an eyebrow when someone says "i am proud to be american/canadian/finnish/nigerian/egyptian/russian"
I do agree that there is a double standard on the subject. On the other hand I'm not exactly sure what's there to be proud of. I can understand pride for one's own actions but why be proud of something that you have absolutely no control over?

my question was why is it ok to say "okay, you can be proud of something but you cant" I just don't understand.

So, does it make sense to be proud when your national team wins the world cup of any sport competition?

exactly, just cause youre proud of something doesnt mean like "YEAH I TOTALLY DID THAT, YOU SUCK!" like, you'd be proud of your son if he got an A+ in math wouldnt you?

when i said white i meant more european. I defenetly did not mean skin colour as a source of pride, i more meant it historically.

then how come no one raises an eyebrow when someone says "i am proud to be american/canadian/finnish/nigerian/egyptian/russian"

my question was why is it ok to say "okay, you can be proud of something but you cant" I just don't understand.

because you believe pride in anything is the same despite all variables.

So, does it make sense to be proud when your national team wins the world cup of any sport competition?

Not really.. not IMO anyway. I would only be proud of something i had a part of.

Top Bottom