White Pride

was being irish integral and a function of him coming to america? because many jews, poles, italians, germans, chinese etc etc. did the same thing. His nationality had little to do with it. I'd be proud of him for success, not being irish.

I didnt say about being irish, i meant his accomplishments, the only reason i said ireland was stating what country he came from. But you didn't address my point. You said its wrong to be proud of anything that you yourself didnt accomplish. I didnt accomplish anything, my grandfather did, but im still proud of him and you seem to agree. whats the deal?

I didnt say about being irish, i meant his accomplishments, the only reason i said ireland was stating what country he came from. But you didn't address my point. You said its wrong to be proud of anything that you yourself didnt accomplish. I didnt accomplish anything, my grandfather did, but im still proud of him and you seem to agree. whats the deal?

You're proud of being his grandson; there is a clear connection between you and him.

Meanwhile by being proud of being white, you are making connections that do not exist, between yourself and all the other white people who ever lived.

You're proud of being his grandson; there is a clear connection between you and him.

Meanwhile by being proud of being white, you are making connections that do not exist, between yourself and all the other white people who ever lived.

wouldn't it be the same for you and every pole who ever lived? I am white, my father is white, his father is white*. Isn't that a clear connection?

*just noting, when i say white as point of pride, i dont mean skin colour. Im just using white as a term to lump in people who descend from Europe. I DO NOT think the colour of an organ should be a point of pride.

You did accomplish something. You continue to honor his accomplishment.

wouldn't it be the same for you and every pole who ever lived? I am white, my father is white, his father is white*. Isn't that a clear connection?

*just noting, when i say white as point of pride, i dont mean skin colour. Im just using white as a term to lump in people who descend from Europe. I DO NOT think the colour of an organ should be a point of pride.

Well, all Polish people are tied together by our constitution, culture, language, and vodka.

There exists no such connection between all white people.

I would have to say that I would have no problem with somebody being proud of being European, however. In my mind, that is entirely different, and comparable to my being proud of being Polish (and Canadian).

-Well, to an extend, I'm proud of being Dutch.
-And I'm very proud of being from this stupid Calvinist Christian backward town in eastern rural Netherlands.
-A victory of the Dutch football team fills me with pride.

Explain that to me, please!

Nationality is a cultural unit and unlike race you can 1) contribute to your culture and 2) change your cultural values. Also a pride of belonging to a group is a side effect of human nature; we are social creatures and to some degree our lives are still tied to the success of our group. On some primitive level the success of our group is our own success and its loss carries the sign of our own demise.

That sense of belonging is usually stronger in smaller groups as individuals have personal relations with larger portion of the group so the connection becomes more intimate. Also, as far as I know, rural establishments are more self-reliant than urban ones so to some degree the group spirit is traditionally stronger in such places as individuals have had more direct effect to welfare of the whole establishment.

National sport teams (and local teams in national leagues) are just extensions of the groups. They are ways to pit 'us' against the 'others' without fear for our lives (insert a random football riot pun here).

So yes, there is a pride of your group and it has logical explanation but does the pride itself make sense? To me, not that much. Pride of your culture has some merits as you are an active part of it but pride of race is a pride of nothing. I'm not proud of being a Finn, I'm moderately happy about it though. I have a certain sense of pride for being part of the European culture as I find most of its values agreeable but that's as much pride as I have beyond my own accomplishments.

what about this; I'm proud of my Grandfather for coming here from Ireland only as a boy and almost by himself creating a new successful life and supporting his siblings and eventually his spouse and offspring. This all happened before I was born and I had no hand in it yet I'm proud of him. Is this wrong?
Completely different circumstances. You are proud of him for doing what he did, not about his skin color. Also, you are proud of him, not of yourself for what he did. Being proud of your skin color is the equivalent of taking credit for accomplishments of other people because of a superficial relationship you have with them. It's stupid. It's fine to be proud of your ancestors, but their skin color, ethnicity, or other superficial things are nothing to be proud of.

I am proud of my background, and it annoys me how we can have every different "pride" under the sun, but if someone says white pride, people scream racism and act like the Nazi party has been reincarnated. I think everyone should know the history of their people and be proud of it's accomplishments. Race may not be something you can choose, but it is part of what makes you who you are. You should not let your life revolve around it, and you certainly shouldn't be a jackass about it. But on the other hand, I don't think we should hate our history and kowtow to everyone who isn't white for fear of being called racist. There has to be some middle ground between self hating multiculturalism and burning crosses on people's lawns. It strikes me as unhealthy to go too far in either direction.
Congratulations, you hit the nail on the head so to speak.

You can take pride in your heritage because it is part of who you are, just don't make an ass of yourself in doing so.

Is there anything wrong with it? The term has alot of negative baggage in people's minds of horrible things (white supremacy, nazism) but at the end of the day, is white pride worse than asian pride, black pride etc? And if you think that, isnt that racist? I've gotten alot of dirty looks from people whenever I say that im proud of my white heritage if it ever comes up in conversation, meanwhile it's totally socially acceptable for someone to say "I'm proud of being black/hispanic/asian". There's obviously a double standard here on the subject of race in western society. Thoughts?
You can be proud of being white if you want to. My reaction is simply "So what?" It's the same every time someone says they are proud of being Hispanic/Black/Asian/radioactive monkey. Race isn't something you can control. Even nationality can be controlled, and is more important than race. (I certainly believe in being proud of one's country) But being proud of one's race? Seems kind of pointless to me, but whatever, so long as you aren't degenerating other races I don't really care.

Yes, there is something wrong with white pride. There's also problems with black pride and Asian pride and gay pride and female pride and Christian pride and Jewish pride and just pride generally. It's a Deadly Sin for a reason ;)

Yes, there is something wrong with white pride. There's also problems with black pride and Asian pride and gay pride and female pride and Christian pride and Jewish pride and just pride generally.

I see your general point with the black/white/gay/female whatever pride. But what is wrong with pride in general? Is it cool to be the same as everyone?

I see your general point with the black/white/gay/female whatever pride. But what is wrong with pride in general? Is it cool to be the same as everyone?

It's fine to be different. There's something wrong with being proud of those differences just as much as there's something wrong with being ashamed of those differences. The key is to acknowledge that they don't matter, not that they're something to be proud of.

It's fine to be different. There's something wrong with being proud of those differences just as much as there's something wrong with being ashamed of those differences. The key is to acknowledge that they don't matter, not that they're something to be proud of.

I often find they do matter to me. Having a specific heritage has helped me, and everyone else, in becoming the person they are today. We all have cultural/heritage uniqueness to be proud of.

racial pride= idiocy. being proud of your heritage= different story.being proud of your heritage and using it as an excuse to put others down= stupidity to the nth degree.

p.s. on the topic of being proud of your heritage... you can, and may be so. but dont take credit for it personally. its funny when i hear people say" such and such pepole made such and such country". well i guess they forgot about the slave force, who actually mad the country. i understand why we have asian/black/brown pride here in the us. for any minoiry group, relative to the american history, and racial issues we all have to deal with, this is an easy way of protection your "group" from being swallowed, and therefore culturally dwarfed.

Why be proud of your heritage or ethnicity? I think that's equally stupid. I think "Irish pride" is equally as stupid as white pride or AZN pride or whatever. I'm "Irish-American," in that most (about 60%) of my ancestors came from Ireland. But I'm not proud of being Irish! Ireland sucks! The Irish never accomplished anything worthwhile, sorry. After Irish, the second most amount of "blood" I have is French (about 30%), and France sucks too! Though at least France was strong as some points in its history, unlike the eternal power vacuum that is Ireland. White pride is smarter, if anything, because you have a wider range of achievements to choose from.

But all racial, ethnic, linguistic, and cultural pride is dumb.

You might be proud of your nation, in the sense that you contribute to it in some way. Maybe. But that's a bit iffy too. I think that America is the best country in the world. I would not want to be anything but American. But proud? I dunno. I don't think so. I just know what I like.

odd how you're pissed at affirmative action and yet you seem irked that white pride is a no-no.

shouldnt you hate white pride if you hate AA?

not necessarily. AA is the idea that because of one's given status, they get special treatment. Being opposed to that is not opposed to being proud of one's heritage.

Why be proud of your heritage or ethnicity? I think that's equally stupid. I think "Irish pride" is equally as stupid as white pride or AZN pride or whatever. I'm "Irish-American," in that most (about 60%) of my ancestors came from Ireland. But I'm not proud of being Irish! Ireland sucks! The Irish never accomplished anything worthwhile, sorry. After Irish, the second most amount of "blood" I have is French (about 30%), and France sucks too! Though at least France was strong as some points in its history, unlike the eternal power vacuum that is Ireland. White pride is smarter, if anything, because you have a wider range of achievements to choose from.

you are one mixed up guy. You seem to think being proud is like choosing players in a sports draft.

Top Bottom