Why America's education sucks

SerriaFox

King
This is a poster (hand made, probably for a "project" of some kind) actually hanging in a room of the "education" school of University of North Texas:

"Objectives should be stated broadly, to accommodated a wide variety of goals.
Grading rubrics should be non-specific, so everyone can succeed."

I thought the goal was to teach, and grade were meant to determine if that goal had been accomplished.

It has been my experiance that there has been a shift in emphasis in schools from 'Pass/Fail' to 'Pass/How can you not fail next time' which I find is a better idea. The government is already shelling a couple thousand dollars into each kid educating them, it is best to get some return on the cash.

'Everyone can succeed'? No way. The whole point of school is that you learn a set of stuff, you can't trade it for crochet and slam-dunking.

The theory of American education has certainly been controversial for a generation or so. A lot of the social experimentation, in my opinion, has hurt us. As far back as forced busing in the 70's, to bilingualism, "cultural literacy", banning of school prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance, to todays' Outcome-Based Education. And these days it's also complicated by the reactionary demands of the teacher's unions.

It's a shame we have to take it out on the kids.

Since when have we banned the pledge? The only reason my school rarely did it was because the announcements were filled with onanistic glorification of our speach and debate team.

If you want to say that Texas sucks in general, no disagreement there.

Otherwise, you're criticizing something that isn't specifically a problem for what is presumably elementary education. Don't see anything wrong with the implications of a broad statement like that for teachers who are going to be teaching young students. Some of the worst models in education for young children are the "everyone draw this and only this" sort of old-school rote learning that stifle creativity. Obviously building math and reading skills is important but you won't and shouldn't have extremely structured goals elsewhere.

Get the government out of education, I don't want Rick Perry teaching my children anything.

The theory of American education has certainly been controversial for a generation or so. A lot of the social experimentation, in my opinion, has hurt us. As far back as forced busing in the 70's, to bilingualism, "cultural literacy", banning of school prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance, to todays' Outcome-Based Education. And these days it's also complicated by the reactionary demands of the teacher's unions.

Silly bilingualism, and its proven positive effects on intelligence. We need more young red-blooded, Christian, patriots.

People are just noticing this? Yay homeschool, where you learn in a way that you like, but you're actually learning, and not teaching towards the test.

People are just noticing this? Yay homeschool, where you learn in a way that you like, but you're actually learning, and not teaching towards the test.
Homeschool is really a crapshoot as to whether it works or not.
I would also like to point out that the prevalence of homeschool is generaly tied to how religious an area is and how good the public schools are in an area.

Homeschool is really a crapshoot as to whether it works or not.
Right. It works for me. It may not work for you. It may work for your best friend. It may not work for your girlfriend, etc.
I would also like to point out that the prevalence of homeschool is generaly tied to how religious an area is and how good the public schools are in an area.
Generally tied to religious. Our area is highly churchgoing. But the public schools here are also very good, yet there are still lots of homeschoolers.

In 4th grade we stopped saying the Pledge of Allegiance. It's kinda important to the countries structure so any US school shouldn't have a problem reciting it, including the reference about God.

I don't see how forcing busing leads to poor education, unless you mean to suggest that "the blacks" poison the GPA of the bright white students. Nor do I see how learning a language other than English is detrimental. And as for prayer, banning it has been the most positive development in the recent history of education. The more religion is removed from the minds of students, the less ignorant they can be.

Instead of teaching children to go for number one and be the best (which is in effect the best the could be), we are teaching them to do just enough (and be equal to the stupidest laziest classmate). And that is why I find that poster offensive.

I attended 3 high schools in Ohio, graduating in 2004. I don't recall the pledge being banned, though one of the high schools didn't do it every morning.

I'm all for the elimination of busing and the elimination of local funding for schools. Start funding them from general taxes, and there's no need for anything like busing. Considering foreign language education as a problem is just baffling.

Just reading through this thread I've found multiple users whose education system has obviously failed them.

Top Bottom