1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

You have to be rich to be poor.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by yesboii, May 21, 2009.

1. yesboii

yesboii Ishin

Read the rest of the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/17/AR2009051702053.html?g=0

I thought this article was rather interesting. Coming from an upper middle class, I never realized how true this article was 'till I read it. ;)

2. nihilistic

nihilistic Intergalatic Delivery Boy

Umm ... you'd have to try pretty hard to make those plastic milk jogs leak. Also, the biggest cost of doing business in crappy neighborhoods by far is inventory shrinkage. The author omitted that for some rather obvious reasons.

3. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Yet through farm subsidies, you're all paying less than market rates! Butter and milk is noticeably more expensive here. I pay the quoted corner store rates for milk and butter at Walmart.

And yeah, I did the conversions between the dollars.

4. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I can somewhat understand. I lived below the poverty line for many years, but it was quite voluntary on my part, and so it wasn't all that hard.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I pay $6.50 USD per gallon/4L of milk at Walmart, and go through 1L per day.

People paying less than me don't get to complain about milk prices.

edit: The article makes some good points, but makes me wonder why you'd ever live in such a location. I live in a rural area where I pay $285/month for rent, and can walk to the supermarket in 10 minutes. Moving to an urban area where I pay more in rent and more for food seems like financial suicide unless I'm getting a significantly better paying job.

6. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

I disagree with this part (on which the whole article is based):

You do very much have three hours to take the bus, even if you are working two jobs. Grocery shopping is something that you only need to do once per week at most. The extra effort and time to take the bus is very much worth the reduced prices.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I will bike miles out of my way to goto Costco. But yeah, the article is totally true. Many poor people don't have the time for shopping around & many simply aren't aware of all the options they have to save money.

To buy in bulk to save money you need money to begin with.

The more $ you have the cheaper things get. This is why capitalism never has been & never will be a level playing field.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Buy UHT or longlife milk in Bulk
    Or if your a single mother for example milk powder which is easier to carry.

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Dunno why poor people are so into milk anyway. Blacks & Hispanics more often than not, have problems with dairy anyway (not saying all poor people are black or Hispanic but a majority of them in the inner cities are).

10. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

Milk is one of the most expensive things on my grocery list.

11. potatokiosk

potatokiosk Deity

So you buy in bulk, then bring that bulk back home on a bicycle? :confused:

12. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

wow, I thought my family was poor........but really, I'm super well-off....but now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense, which is sad...

13. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Or a calculator. Sam's Club for example, is infamous for mixing low priced bulk items with bulk items that actually cost less than buying individually.

14. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

I do, although I've done it for so long, I'm used to the difficulties.

15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Hells yeah baby, I used to be a bike messenger. Between my bookbag, handlebars & the crate I had on the back of my bike I figure I can carry about 60-80lb. Just got to be careful & make sure it's all balanced.

16. potatokiosk

potatokiosk Deity

I'm sort of impressed, sort of wondering why you don't just take a car.

17. Xyan

Xyan Cyber Monk

Just finished the full article. It does make many good points. The author may have pushed some examples a bit far as this is an "opinion" article. But his motivation is reasonable. The system in many institutions like banks are not designed to help the poor. It does makes the effort to break out of poverty doubly difficult.

18. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Ah, yes, "Vimes' Boots"...

19. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Probably doesn't own a car...

When I need to make a really big grocery trip with more bulk stuff than I can carry(every couple months), I split a cab ride with a couple friends for $2.

20. QuoVadisNation

QuoVadisNation keeping your angel alive

The article is mostly true but all cities are a little bit different. But I tend to agree. The cheapest place near my apartment is the Wall-Mart by the bend. Shopping there for me makes sense and I save 40 dollars shopping every week and get 25% food and soda. All the other stores are comparitviely overpriced. Like.. 5.59 for a 12 pack of coke where it's 6.33 for a 24 pack of coke at Wall-Mart. But since I don't have a car it requires a 25 minute walk each way and me lugging my groceries back to the apartment. Now, I'm young and I can carry about seventy pounds worth of soda and food back with me. But I doubt the poorer guys and women who live near me can make the trek by themselves.

I suppose spiting a cab is an interesting idea. I wonder if Churches in the area thought about it. Most people without funds generally are not the types to come up with innovative ways to save moneys.. just thirft and humble attitudes really.