2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess one knows what one is, Tim.

The younger ones here like to call it projection, I think?

I guess one knows what one is, Tim.

The younger ones here like to call it projection, I think?

LOL...so, you are now backing J and his "it's just fact checker bias, Trump doesn't really lie that much" position? Man, I know you like playing the edgy opposition bit, but pick your battles.

J isn't any part of that post, that's a response to your and Boots' exchange. Specifically yours.

I thought it fantastically rude. Maybe as rude as I've ever been. But still less insulting than yours. Soo, eh?

J isn't any part of that post, that's a response to your and Boots' exchange. Specifically yours.

I thought it fantastically rude. Maybe as rude as I've ever been. But still less insulting than yours. Soo, eh?

Rude to who? The deplorables? Yeah, don't really care. What does that have to do with "projection"?

To you, son.

I've met Baldwin. Didnt know (or forgot) she was a lesbian. Because it's not an issue. If it was it would have been an issue when she first entered politics 20 years ago.
The 'incumbant' advantage ('we know her', as Tim said) makes looking at the latest results not as relevant. Her beating Tommy Thompson in 2012 was far more impressive than her recent win, but Thompson kind of lost favor after dropping out of WI politics to serve in the Bush administration.

Obama in 2012 also benefited from being an incumbent, so that blurs the comparison a little comparing 2012 to 2016. Hillary wasn't an incumbent and was not likeable, even to many women, and these weren't the 'vote how my husband votes' women either. A black woman I worked with absolutely despised her and would cuss whenever Hillary was speaking on TV. Not that she liked Trump either, it was one of those "I don't like either candidate" situations.

La crosse is a college town (division 3 and smaller). 50-60,000 people with three colleges. The counties between la crosse and Madison are some of the poorest in the state, but Madison and lacrosse has some influence there.
Breitbert and Limbaugh followers are few and far between to be very relevant. Don't know any breitbert people and the Limbaugh faithful you already know how they will vote. How Fox spins things matters more.
Only seen one anti-Obama vehicle regularly, and only two other once on the interstate during all the Obama years, so I would say those are the extremists you can just ignore and doesn't represent the area. Continue to lump us with them doesn't really warm us up to your side.

I've met Baldwin. Didnt know (or forgot) she was a lesbian. Because it's not an issue. If it was it would have been an issue when she first entered politics 20 years ago.
The 'incumbant' advantage ('we know her', as Tim said) makes looking at the latest results not as relevant. Her beating Tommy Thompson in 2012 was far more impressive than her recent win, but Thompson kind of lost favor after dropping out of WI politics to serve in the Bush administration.

Obama in 2012 also benefited from being an incumbent, so that blurs the comparison a little comparing 2012 to 2016. Hillary wasn't an incumbent and was not likeable, even to many women, and these weren't the 'vote how my husband votes' women either. A black woman I worked with absolutely despised her and would cuss whenever Hillary was speaking on TV. Not that she liked Trump either, it was one of those "I don't like either candidate" situations.

La crosse is a college town (division 3 and smaller). 50-60,000 people with three colleges. The counties between la crosse and Madison are some of the poorest in the state, but Madison and lacrosse has some influence there.
Breitbert and Limbaugh followers are few and far between to be very relevant. Don't know any breitbert people and the Limbaugh faithful you already know how they will vote. How Fox spins things matters more.
Only seen one anti-Obama vehicle regularly, and only two other once on the interstate during all the Obama years, so I would say those are the extremists you can just ignore and doesn't represent the area. Continue to lump us with them doesn't really warm us up to your side.

No one is lumping you with the deplorables. That doesn't mean there aren't any deplorables out there though. To be honest I'm pretty sure there are a lot more deplorables in California, and they are a lot more committed about it, than there are in the midwest. I can say with a good degree of certainty that the California GOP would be all over running ads attacking a Baldwin presidential run based on her sexual orientation. They wouldn't have the slightest hope of shifting California's electoral votes against her, but they would be using her to drive their turnout. They are constantly suffering with most statewide races on election day being between two Democrats and they relish the presidential races so they have a big republican name somewhere on the ballot for their people to vote for.

We might be Democratic but never forget that Prop 8 wasn't totally out of the blue for us.

We might be Democratic but never forget that Prop 8 wasn't totally out of the blue for us.

This year's Prop 8? I don't see how it relates to the current conversation...

Just wanted to mention...there is a full scale effort in progress on Breitbarf, and no doubt throughout the rest of the echo chamber, to discredit Faux News. They are touting One America News Network.as the new source for "fair and balanced" coverage, since "Murdoch's liberal sons have corrupted Fox and the only people there still speaking truth are Hannity and Tucker Carlson."

Just wanted to mention...there is a full scale effort in progress on Breitbarf, and no doubt throughout the rest of the echo chamber, to discredit Faux News. They are touting One America News Network.as the new source for "fair and balanced" coverage, since "Murdoch's liberal sons have corrupted Fox and the only people there still speaking truth are Hannity and Tucker Carlson."

One America News Network? The 'news' organization run by a father and son out of their garage? Breitbart News has 1 million twitter followers to Fox News having 18 million. The sooner Breitbart fades to obscurity the better. Your constant mentioning of them doesn't help, and I wonder how many of those 1 million followers are people like yourself that aren't fans, but keeping watch on them.

One America News Network? The 'news' organization run by a father and son out of their garage? Breitbart News has 1 million twitter followers to Fox News having 18 million. The sooner Breitbart fades to obscurity the better. Your constant mentioning of them doesn't help, and I wonder how many of those 1 million followers are people like yourself that aren't fans, but keeping watch on them.

OANN spews their bile over most of the satellite providers and a number of the smaller cable providers. There is no indication that Breitbarf is fading to obscurity, unfortunately. Fox is being forced to compete for their niche as the "news provider to conservatives who want to be misinformed." They will either abandon their niche and try to compete with other actual news sources, or they will return to a crazier craziness to fend off the insurgents...not my call.

This year's Prop 8? I don't see how it relates to the current conversation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_(2008)

OANN spews their bile over most of the satellite providers and a number of the smaller cable providers. There is no indication that Breitbarf is fading to obscurity, unfortunately. Fox is being forced to compete for their niche as the "news provider to conservatives who want to be misinformed." They will either abandon their niche and try to compete with other actual news sources, or they will return to a crazier craziness to fend off the insurgents...not my call.

Yeah, they 'reach' 35 million homes....doesn't mean that many watch them. When you got 100 channels to choose from there are many you never watch.
OANN has less than twice as many twitter followers as Coast to Coast AM (UFO, conspiracy followers). (239k to 138k), so more known than the conspiracy source that has been around forever, but that may just be because politics drawing more in. They are not going to have much affect on the vote (0.07%).

That said, I wouldn't pick Baldwin just because she's a lesbian. That won't help. Sure, you may pick up a few votes, but then may also lose some. Expecting a 'straight guilt' effect? (like Obama's 'white guilt' speculation as to why whites voted for Obama in 08.)
For those wanting to hear her speak, I'm sure you could easily find some speeches, but here's a random one:

Not terrible, but not presidential is my opinion, but I'm not really into judging voices.

I would prefer to see a candidate that doesn't give people a reason not to vote for her before they even listen to her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_(2008)

Thanks. That's certainly more relevant than the current Prop 8.

Yeah, they 'reach' 35 million homes....doesn't mean that many watch them. When you got 100 channels to choose from there are many you never watch.
OANN has less than twice as many twitter followers as Coast to Coast AM (UFO, conspiracy followers). (239k to 138k), so more known than the conspiracy source that has been around forever, but that may just be because politics drawing more in. They are not going to have much affect on the vote (0.07%).

That said, I wouldn't pick Baldwin just because she's a lesbian. That won't help. Sure, you may pick up a few votes, but then may also lose some.

That's pretty much what I said. I mean, I was responding to "pick her because her name is easier to pronounce," so it isn't like I was looking for an argument in detail, but, yeah, nominating a lesbian strikes me as unnecessary poking of the bear rather than a serious contribution to ousting the GOP.

On OANN, the current dismissals are very similar to the treatment Breitbarf used to get...before their editor was established as Special Propaganda Minister and Presidential Confidant. Underestimating these people is a mistake, IMO.

So what's CFC's take on the 2020 election? Are we expecting Texas to flip blue?

If Beto runs for the senate seat, I give him good odds.
If he runs for president, no.

So what's CFC's take on the 2020 election? Are we expecting Texas to flip blue?

I can't give "CFC's take," just mine.

2020 might be still early, but it's on the edge of possibility. I think O'Roarke stands a very good chance at beating Cornyn, which might constitute a "flip blue" result even if the electoral votes still go red.

Not my horse, but I think the Obama strategy might still be potentially valid. Voice seems ok but not great, might be too fat for a woman on t.v. if we're being shallow. And the whole wheelchair thing, I guess.

I don't follow our senators closely. I think she and Durbin along with Lipinski just introduced a sewage/Great Lakes bill. Not totally up to speed on that one either.

Spoiler :

Duckworth would be a strong candidate...and her name is pretty easy to pronounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom