A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure that "-100% maintenance" is good idea. You can build and build settlers non-stop and settle new cities with such maintenance. It is not funny. (Well, funny, but not for the gameplay :) ).

More bugs and quirks found and commented upon. Con't 1.76c Beta 5

8) Mountain leader and Mountaineer Techs are just blocks of Pink Text and not enabled in either the Civopedia or the game.

solution- well, just enable them I guess.

9) Semi-automatic weapons is displayed X 2 with rifling, in tech splash screen.

Solution- Just remove one.

11) MAJOR BUG I believe. Local courts houses aren't enabled until Labour Union, and the National wonder, Supreme court is enabled in Jurisprudence. Now why would you wait till Labour Union and build individually local court houses, when at Jurisprudence you just need 1 district courthouse, no required number of Local court houses, and then you get a "free Local Courthouse" in all cities.

Solution- Swap the position of the 2 first up, Supreme court out of Jurisprudence and into Labour Union. Make a requirement of "No of local court houses x map size" for District courthouse. Then build Supreme court.

There is NO ACTUAL POINT, of trying to get to Labour Union for Local Court houses, you really should have LONG SINCE built the Supreme court National wonder.

12) Cities not located on MAIN landmass, don't come up for Rush buying using F1. They are listed in cities list, but you can't bring the city up to Rush buy in it. You have to enter the city screen then rush buy, not from F1 Screen when Cash rush is added to list.

Solution- Link non main land mass cities to the F1 Screen again.

13) Metropolitan administration building. Civopedia say's, this is required to enable the cities 3rd ring using Larger cities, and will become available at Legendary culture status. At Legendary status, the 3rd ring is AUTOMATICALLY AVAILABLE, with out this building. The building is actually superfluous, but I built them anyway, thought another was needed after, but no....

Solution- The 3rd ring requirement needs to be set to the building of this building again.

14) Rail-road icon in tech splash screen doesn't link to Civopedia

Solution- Enable the Key_what ever link

15) Your able to build a Police station, the building that follows the Jail, WITHOUT the jail. Both are separate and independent of each other, not sure if this is game feature or quirk, personally I believe one needs the other.

16) Couldn't build sea Tunnels with a Modern work boat, I had Civil Engineering, and ability to build a Road to a point, but was never activated. I may not have done correct, but doesn't seem to intuitive if something else required that's not mentioned.

Solution- Either enable if not, or document, or simplify

17) Inflation- OMFG!!!!!! this is BRO-KEN

I went from 6K Cash flow +ve, swapped civics, as I had built Christo Redentor, just to try out some others for effect. Went 1st time backwards to 500+:gold: cash flow positive, did another swap, as I'd seen lost the -50 inflation, ok. Next civic swap, I'm -12K Cash flow, Inflations hit 375% and its only 1750 AD.

Cash rushing in Free Market, DOESN'T reduce inflation, it just adds up.

I was running a continental Civ, in a HUGE map, this DID scale my expenses and income, not a problem, but the Inflation factor is just broken. I'm only 1/2 way through, I intended to play out in Full, I'd accidentally triggered domination win, just concurring my home continent This makes Free Market the only Viable civic to run, and in the long run, its going to crash.

Spoiler :

Solution- Rework inflation, I don't know what your trying to achieve here, but some of the civics, say that they reduce inflation by -50, -25 etc so to me seems to be -ve of a -ve, ends up being a +ve factor. Keep in mind I went from Cash flow +ve of +6K, to this just swapping some civics. These need some adjustment as well.

I was a 44 City civilization, on a HUGE map, and using 3rd ring activated in cities.

(that's why only 44 Cities, I wanted them all MEGA CITIES. I've gotten 39/44 so far.

Here is a screenshot documenting the problem I posted about earlier. In some instances a unit's strength value doesn't show, for example in the build-menu:

Any easy fix for this, its highly anoying? :)

Don't play with Larger Cities option on. Then the radius expansion will only depend on buildings.

8) Mountain leader and Mountaineer Techs are just blocks of Pink Text and not enabled in either the Civopedia or the game. QUOTE]

These are not techs, they are promotions. They are appearing correctly for me in the Civopedia on C2C (which should be the same as AND in regard to all these assets). What context are you looking in? (I'm looking in the promotions list in the Civopedia) I checked that they are not erroniously showing in the tech list also (in my Civopedia)

Yeah, I thought the same thing with that option. I thought if you disabled it it wouldn't allow cities to grow, which would really cause the game to play significantly differently. Maybe just change the hover text for that option to indicate otherwise?

I agree with the Inflation bit. In 1.75 I'm running Barter almost exclusively due to Inflation. Something is a bit off. If a Civ has enough money coming in where they can rush buildings every other turn they shouldn't be penalized, right? I don't understand it from a gameplay or thematical perspective.

12) I don't have this problem.

16) I can build sea tunnels just fine.

17) Cash rushing always increases inflation, it just increases it less under civics like free market. Otherwise I think that some civics still influence inflation, but a -25% is not really perceptible when you've got 200+%, and changing civics seem to increase inflation too. I agree that inflation seems to be too important - even with very moderate rush buying, you'll have to switch to barter after a while or lose tons of money to inflation.

16) In reply, how do you build sea tunnels..what civic, I've gotten Civil Engineering, and how, it just says "build a road to(o)" but nothing happens, I've just gotten a work boat sitting on sea.

17) Really barter economy, used in a developed Civilization. Come on. The initial starting civics, should be just that, INITIAL STARTING CIVICS ONLY. Not a late game or middle game option.

IF your going to insist on Barter, being a 'real world' option for game play, (Yes I realise its only a game), then Science, commerce basically everything should be penalised. Can you imagine you salary being paid in barter, even in middle ages, from 1100-1700 AD. Coinage was used to regulate trade, etc.

Initial starting civics should be just that, they could form the default civic for anarchy periods yes.

Mountaineering was in civopedia, not listed, admittedly, I didn't tech it, as I just assumed it was disabled, so if it works, I'll need another game to try it out.

larger cities, it seems I'm not the only one with this assumption, I believe it should play as the description says. If you want 3rd ring usage, you need the building, which is available at Legendary culture, pop +25, and needs the (blank) tech to enable.

17) This All came to be because of the Hue and Cry back in version 1.71 thru 1.74 that you Made Too Much Money! High difficulty lvl players were harping constantly that they were making 1000+ gold a turn mid to late game. They wanted it tighter. And they got it thru Inflation. Now it's a runaway train.

And to those players, "I Told You So!" But who listens to an old noble lvl player anyway. :p

JosEPh ;)

18) Minor religions don't seem to fade- I have a continental empire, I've long since destroyed the other civs, I've even razed one holy city, that didn't fit into my Mega city plans (3rd ring usage exclusively) I've empire wide Monotheism with some minor religions in 7 cities at most spread over the 4 empires I assimilated.

These have not disapated, I have on 'Minor religions fade' option, and the single holy city/empire. I don't have Multiple religions enabled for minor civs.

Solution- Is this the option I need, will have to test.

19) AI won't accept gifted units in era above self. I.E. I have rifles, they have muskets, won't accept gift of rifles. Now is this a quirk, or feature of game??

20) Compulsory education, has the mouse over text for civil engineering in Sids tips

Solution- Change the text to correct sids tips

21) Meteorology just a dot (.) in sids tips

Solution- Add the text

22) TXT_KEY_EVENT_SILKWORM_GOING_EXTINCT is not properly enabled with links. Only come up with This text obviously.

Solution- enable the correct linking

23) I've been able to exceed the 6 units per tile limit, that can be imposed in the Bug options screen

Spoiler :

Initially I was able to produce troops and have the 7th expelled out of the city, when all where of same era, but with a mixture of era's, I seem to be able to exceed the limit. The limit applies to unit types of similar era's, I.E. siege, archery, melee and mounted. Also correctly applies to naval units of same era, haven't tested differing era's as yet there.

solution- Limit should apply for all era's, for military units as it does now.

24) Plaza San Marco is not being recorded in finance screen as the Player having a market in every city, I'm only credited with 1 market, as I took this Via war.

Solution- Enable the wonder buildings in the count for finance screen

25)Improvement upgrades, well the Mine - Shaft mine and Work shop - Factory upgrades with the tech. You can just destroy the old one, I.E. build something else, then IMMEDIATELY build the upgraded version, as circumnavigate the 120 turns to improve waiting time. Note this isn't available with Shaft mines - Modern mines or Factories - industrial plants.

solution - Carry the above mentioned solution through to mines and work shops. Been mentioned before now I've typed it I think by me

Fix for inflation problem or monster in the game.

Take it away from Civics, and apply it to the cities individually.

The city expenses, are ridiculously cheap. You add a costly building that say's 20 :gold: expenses increase, for example, and it wouldn't even rise by 2:gold:

Court houses and other expense reducing buildings, don't seem to have a great impact on costs.

Expenses seem to be associated with Population of city and size. If inflation was also applied to this, it would equally penalise civilizations at all sizes.

The Greater your city size, the greater the trade income you can generate, smaller city, smaller income.

As such, Expenses would be scaled to reflect the costs involved.

As an example, in current game I'm running.

Huge map, 44 City empire on a continents map, I own my starting continent.

When I switch to barter, I can run science at 100% and be CASH FLOW POSITIVE.

If I set science to Zero, 5x the research time, but gold suddenly hits 14K per turn.

If I switch to say mercantilism, i'm 35K NEGATIVE Cash flow, others are less but range from 12 - 6 NEGATIVE

Free Market is only, ONLY, 6K positive

To sum up, Civics shouldn't be penalised with inflation, the individual city and its expenses should be, with a rise in costs in city to reduce income.

I agree: maintainance costs should be much higher for cities (add base mantainance for large cities?)and military units. Inflation should be worked on as more advanced economic civics (regulated) can still be much worse than earlier ones.

This is a great, balanced mod otherwise. The inflation/maintance problem is too big to ignore. Apparently, it seems to affect A New Dawn more than the original, but the whole thing was one of Civ4's few warts.

It seems that I can't re-base any air units. Does anyone else encounter this problem? Maybe i'm doing something wrong but just wanted to check.

Rebase Air units, obvious thing is do you have MILITARY air ports in city to re-base to.

Apart from that, Bug Options, you don't have a limit on distance enabled.

At that stage in my current game, I'll try make a few Air craft and Military air ports and try re-basing.

Well, since this is the bugs section, I will repost some of the bugs or inconsistencies I noticed while playing:

1)Current trait description of Spirital trait is taking up the whole page:
10% faster production of Jewish Synagoue
25% faster production of Jewish Monastry
10% faster production of Christian Catherdral
25% faster production of Christian Monastry

Why not just combined them into:
10% faster production of Catherdrals
25% faster production of Monastries

or

10% faster production of Jewish Synagoue, Christian Catherdral, ...
25% faster production of Jewish Monastry, Christian Monastry, ...

2) Catherdrals of original Civ4 religions are unlocked with Music whereas the other new religious catherdrals can be built so long as number of temples enough.

3) Settlers, Colonists, Pioneers all have same in game and civilopedia descriptions.

4) War Prize function cannot be turned off. Furthermore, it is 100% capture. Not "sometimes"

5) Valuation of luxury resources weird. Even for resources which give the SAME bonuses like rice and corn, the price is different. (I know rice gives extra bonus with Sid sushi, but this happens in an era far from corporations)

6) Corpernius is not allowed to be built in same city as Issac or Leonardo.
Issac is not allowed to be built in same city as Corpernius or Leonardo.
But Leonardo CAN be built in a city with Corpernius or Issac.

7) Castle Gatehouse which prevents units from entering when culture above 25%, still prevent cannons and rifles which ignore walls and castles, and hence "see" the culture value below 25% from entering.
Eg cannons see the defense as 17%, still cannot enter.
They have to wait till older units like swordsmen who "see" the culture value below 25%, then they can enter.

8) Rifling leads to "semi automatic weapons" and "semi automatic weapons".
This can be seen in civilopedia as well as the tech splash screen when u finished researching

9) As mentioned, mountaineering promotions icons are just purple blocks, both in civilopedia and tech screen

A while ago someone posted about the AI seemingly having ships on almost every water tile it owned, and them just 'hanging around' without any obvious purpose. I'm afraid I can't find the post right now or recall who made it, but anyway, I've started looking into the causes.

Two things stand out:

1) The AI spams naval attack forces beyond all reason in peacetime (details below).

2) Mostly it can't find any immediate use for the units it builds in this way so it puts them on 'patrol' (which actually means a random walk WITHIN the owner's cultural boundaries. Because cultural boundaries tend to divide the coast up into discrete regions around each city (at least until well into the game) this tends to mean lots of ships wandering around a small space, with the net effect that at most turn ends most of the tiles in that small area are occupied.

The solutions are not entirely obvious. I **think** (1) needs some balance introducing, and I discuss this in more detail below, but my concern is that in doing so the net result will be that the AI will build (considerably) less ships, so when it DOES decide to go into assault mode it will have much less navy to call upon. I'm worried about how this may unbalance the AI's ability to launch assaults between landmasses. I suspect the only way to tell is to change things and let people play test, but I just wanted to express the potential concern before doing anything.

The reason the AI spams naval attack forces so freely, well before it has any idea what to do with them, is this piece of code, which occurs midway through the city AI build priorities:

Code:
if (kPlayer.AI_getNumTrainAIUnits(UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA) + kPlayer.AI_getNumTrainAIUnits(UNITAI_PIRATE_SEA) + kPlayer.AI_getNumTrainAIUnits(UNITAI_RESERVE_SEA) < std::min(3,kPlayer.getNumCities()))
{
	if ((bMaybeWaterArea && bWaterDanger)
		|| (pWaterArea != NULL && bPrimaryArea && kPlayer.AI_countNumAreaHostileUnits(pWaterArea, true, false, false, false) > 0))
	{
		if( gCityLogLevel >= 2 ) logBBAI("      City %S uses minimal naval", getName().GetCString());

if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA))
		{
			return;
		}
		if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_PIRATE_SEA))
		{
			return;
		}
		if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_RESERVE_SEA))
		{
			return;
		}
	}
}

The first line says 'if we are not already training 3 (more or less) naval units as of this moment we can consider training some more'. Not sure about the '3' here but whatever - this isn't a major issue.
The next line is the problem on I think. It approximately says 'if there is danger in this water area, or if the city concerned is in our home area and we can see at least one enemy unit in the water area build navy'.

The main issue here is two-fold:
1) The 'water area' is all connected water tiles. On most maps that's the entire world's oceans.
2) There just needs to be ONE visible enemy unit in this body of water to trigger us building an UNLIMITTED navy!!

I propose the following changes, but I wanted to open up for some discussion first for counter-proposals and concerns:

• Count the number of attack units we already have in the body of water in question. Don't build on the basis of visible enemies beyond some multiple of the number of enemies we can see (I would suggest 3 times)
  • Rather than counting visible enemies anywhere in said body of water (and our units if we adopt the first bullet point), just count the ones we can navigate to (assuming war with their owner - so based on visible geography and lack of 3rd party closed borders in between). Thus if we can see a ship in a body of water we don't KNOW is the same body (because we can't see coast all the way to it) don't count those units when building here. Similarly if we are separated by a 3rd player we don't have open borders with.

Opinions...?

11) MAJOR BUG I believe. Local courts houses aren't enabled until Labour Union, and the National wonder, Supreme court is enabled in Jurisprudence. Now why would you wait till Labour Union and build individually local court houses, when at Jurisprudence you just need 1 district courthouse, no required number of Local court houses, and then you get a "free Local Courthouse" in all cities.

Solution- Swap the position of the 2 first up, Supreme court out of Jurisprudence and into Labour Union. Make a requirement of "No of local court houses x map size" for District courthouse. Then build Supreme court.

There is NO ACTUAL POINT, of trying to get to Labour Union for Local Court houses, you really should have LONG SINCE built the Supreme court National wonder.

Hang over from "Rise and Rule" mod (Civ III) when it was converted to "Rise of Mankind". Yes, I noticed this bug way back in RoM v1 and said nothing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom