A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this works - screenshot of the latest version of Rom a new Dawn. Got the Great Wall but it encircled a 1 square plot - not sure if barbs can come into my kingdom with this oddity in the exact center. Never saw this before.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

I hope this works - screenshot of the latest version of Rom a new Dawn. Got the Great Wall but it encircled a 1 square plot - not sure if barbs can come into my kingdom with this oddity in the exact center. Never saw this before.

Just graphics to indicate that you have the great wall. I would say that most of your boarders are coast. I have had similar, but around a 4 square plot that was not in my cultural borders.

You can always go into the World Builder the turn before the Great Wall is built and carefully paint in culture to smooth out your borders and eliminate oddities like that. The culture will then vanish in the next turn, but not before the Great Wall has been according to your edited borders.

hey:) long time no see. Has any of the problems I pointed out with RoM:AND were fixed lately? Here's the quick reminder:

There are many issues with this great mod.

1. Withdraw chance

Already made a thread about it. Once you reach 100% (which is uber easy!), you can't lose the unit. It it has a small-to-none chance of victory, whenever it withdraws it will be considered as epic victory in the game, and the unit will receive max exp from battle (6). If you have leadership from warlord, it will get 12 exp for basically nothing that can be repeated every turn, leading to 200-300 exp in a VERY short time. While I loved the withdrawal feature, the fact it gave exp in vanilla BTS and always had a horse archer warlord with tactics+flanking to gain massive exp in every battle with minimum risk, +12 exp per withdraw is too much, and 100% chance of withdrawing is too powerful, especially with withdraw-on-defense feature because that essentialy is immortality.

The dynamic exp system was meant to prevent abuse, but actually it's WAY more abusive than the Vanilla BTS exp system. Maybe withdraw should grant a minimal bonus only? +0.25 exp and that's it? I find it hard to like that solution though, I would never reach the high tiers with my Warlord units if they were receiving +0.5 exp per battle... :/

I've conquered whole empires with two warlord units + great commander because they couldn't be killed, and with all heaing promotions AND medic they regenerated their health super fast. It was fun for the first time, but with third empire falling to two units, I got bored. What's the point of building units if you have immortal one that kills everything?

I suggest putting a global cap at withdraw chance at 90 or 95%. Reducing the bonuses to withdraw great commanders grant would also be fun. At fourth level all armies have +60% withdraw chance! Isn't this a bit too big? 10-20-30-40% would be already a huge bonus... Right now it takes any unit with withdraw chance AND access to flanking to immortality instantly. I recommend the numbers that the great commander grants to be greatly lowered - maybe even to 5-10-15-20? Or 10-15-20-25? +25% withdraw chance is a lot already with units that have access to flanking and natural withdraw chance, like all cavalry/helicopter units.

2. Upgrades of some buildings actually downgrade their usefulness

The most notorious example is Grocer and Supermarket. The Grocer adds +25% :gold: and a LOT of :commerce: for access to certain resources. You lose ALL of that when "upgrading" to supermarket, and get what... a bit of :health: ? Why would you want that?

Either the upgrades should carry out ALL of the replaced building's bonuses, or they shouldn't be replacing them!

3. Future tech upgrades not really well thought

A few complaints - The archer, riflemen, mech.infarty and all of that have one similar bonus - they are good at defending cities. And they get replaced by Tesla infantry that sucks against wheeled/tracked units (which will probably be your main enemy at that age) and helicopters (which are great units). The idea was that the archer line is good for defense, and tesla units are more of a offensive unit (100% collateral damage to 10 units!) rather than defensive. Which is weird.

Why can't plasma armors upgrade to Dreadnought Armor? Seeing that Drednaught armor has no drawbacks (compared to Plasma Armor) and should be a natural replacement...

Why isn't there a natural progression for artillery units? NLOS cannon is the last artillery unit. Sure, there are others doing collateral damage - like that siege droid with 170 :strength: - but why can't they be an upgrade? It's more logical than cavalry upgrading to tanks, anyway.

4. Religion bonuses not mutually exclusive

Why is it possible to take ALL the religion-based upgrades? Most of the time I just get all religions first then just convert to allow my warlord to get another bonus. Shouldn't it be like that: you pick one religion-based promotion, say crusader, and the rest becomes unavailable. Because the unit being a crusader and muslim's equivalent at the same TIME is pretty illogical.

Religion-granted wonders don't stop working when you convert! You only lose their :) bonus, the rest remains. In a Islamic country, would you expect a wonder like King Richards Crusade to work? Not to mention that some are definitively bigger than others (see Buddhism wonders - Palace of Potala: +50% :science:, +20% :gold, +20% :food: stored after growth and +20% :culture:, never becoming obsolete? That's like the best "commerce" wonder there is for a cottage economy! Compared to, say, Apadama Palace of Zoroastrianism.. lower maintenance and a free promotion? nice, but doesn't even compare.)

So, the player isn't rewarded for getting a religion... he's awarded for getting all of them since he's pretty much the only one who can gain access to powerful wonders and promotions thanks to it...

It worked better in Vanilla Civ4: BTS, imho. I absolutely love the new bonuses of religions, but they ought to be mutually exclusive. (Afaik a wonder like Palace of Potala keeps working after you convert to a different religion, you just lose the ":) bonus if Buddhism is state religion"... while logically it should cease giving bonuses)

So, a better balance of bonuses for religions and mutual exclusiveness of them would be a step in right direction.

5. Too much :gold:, :food: and :health:

The cities grow large even if poorly placed, the :yuck: is never an issue because there are millions of ways to increase :health: and each country is swimming in :gold: even when REXing at 95% :science: rate. I literally swam in gold in this game. I expanded to 10 cities quickly and got +5 :gold: at 95% rate very early. When I turned it to 90%, I got +23 :gold: per turn! It's too easy to get rich, and REXing is not punished at all.

6. AI is still too weak...

Defends cities with 1-2 stacks, even Capital at wartime - BTS civ would have like 10 units there! Here I land on AI's territory, destroy 4 cities without any resistance, and reach capitol guarded by a single longbowman... after 20 turns or so.

And it wasn't a pea-sized civ, it was 2nd Civ on the scoreboard!

Where's the resistance? I know my warlord unit would trample the down even if there was 10 longbowmen there, but the AI doesn't even try.

There are many other issues but I think those should really be fixed soon :) The mod has incredible potential... but is plagued by those problems right now.

Cheers!

I'd like to play AND one day without those game breaking issues, any progress? ^^

There is still a Espionage bug, maybe its Ubuntu, I found an earlier posting on this error.

06 August 2010 by Arroccali

I get the same error today with RAND 1.75 on Ubuntu 10.04.2

Spoiler :

That's 0.6 BILLION SPY POINTS. A tad overdone I think.

Espionage Screen, only allocates the normal amount generated by your cities, but overall, I have a balance of Billions.

I noticed in the 1.76 thread, someone mentioned that the full of resources map is out dated.

I find that some others suffer the same problem. Here's the Pythonerr.log copied as it just repeats these entries.

ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Planet_Generator_0_68.py
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Lows_Random_Maps_3_0.py
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Full_of_Resources_3_00.py
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Smart_Map.py
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Ring_World.py

Comment on map error by Enkidu Warrior

No I don't understand what it means, but going on the post of them being outdated?? maybe that's it.

I have a problem; for some reason whenever I try to load the mod it gets stuck on 'loading XML (uncached)' for about 20 seconds, and then Vista says the program has stopped working and must close down. The basic Rise of Mankind package works fine too. I had no problems installing, but I have noticed that it takes ages to even start loading. My computer doesn't have bad specs though, it has 2GB RAM, 64 bits, and a nVidia 9500 series graphics card. To put it into perspective, Civ 5 runs just fine on fairly high level graphics...

Any ideas why I can't load the mod?

*Sigh* Okay so perfectly wasn't the best word.But at least only have two problems, one being the abandon city mod not working. The second one being the mod crashes around 1400ad; usually before rifling. So what do I need to do to help fix my problems?:sad:

I've played my first game with this mod, and everything worked just fine.
I started the second one, and everything went crazy:

first a lot of XML errors about leaderheads not loading properly;
then i selected Capac as leader and i ended up with another incan leader (after closing all the xml errors);
then ALL the religions was founded on first turn (!!!), had some major graphic / text glitches aswell, and then it finally crashed.

I also cleared game cache but didn't help. It seems to work fine if i load my previous game, though, so i doubt it's something related to the mod, but maybe some game cache stored somewhere that need to be deleted?

I will try to reinstall the mod later this evening and see if it helps, meanwhile any suggestion i might try?

The problem is still there even after numerous installs. I managed to start another game, but forgot to set difficulty properly, so i tried again and it went crazy again. Never been able to start another game since.

Funny thing my old savegame still works fine... any suggestion? Would really love be able to play it. Maybe removing the extra civs? How can i do that?

Bugio, delete custom leaderheads folder in modules folder. Are you trying to play some scenario..?

I have a CTD that I am encountering that I never have before (though I never played deep into the late game.) Whenever a city finishes it's production and it prompts you to choose a new one, it crashed on selection. I've tried different items, and tried going in to the city screen and it still crashes. This is also the second different game that I've had this. I'll upload my save if anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments

• Stalin AD-1523.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
Assuming this is still in use, I've made a list of Bugs I've noticed so far.

1) Links from Civopedia pages don't work at all
2) Barbs aren't attacking workers off of boats (not sure if feature or not)
3) Multiple groups chopping, won't pre chop, they'll just chop the forest or build improvement, without pausing to ask.
4) Sentry isn't awaking Melee units.
5) Guilds and I assume Corps, can spread overseas BEFORE Astronomy has even been discovered by ANY PLAYER, Auto founding enabled.
6) Naming of Hittite is incorrect in Adjective, its not a Caribbean Nation, but one in the Anatolia region.
7) In Civopedia, a thier instead of their. Probably more, can't remember what page.
8) State Church gives a Ridiculous amount of Espionage points, once you control a holy city, in your religion. State religion bug
9) Maps are outdated. Out dated maps

I'm officially confirming the Inquisitor bug. I may release a patch D to resolve the issue.

Ty for that, I'm not dreaming. Just :pissed: at that.

Was it what I said?? that you need <0 and >67% at the same time..lol

Apart from that, which also appears in ROM, unless you need some civic's combination, such as Liberalism (haven't gotten that far as yet in current game)

Yeah patch D...I love those letters....

I'm officially confirming the Inquisitor bug. I may release a patch D to resolve the issue.

Great! Then I can get reacquainted with 1.75. ;)

JosEPh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom