Altered maps IZ: gib clay!

It's useful for people who might (or might not) live in the province but aren't necessarily familiar with the transit network layout. They will recognize city names and understand the shape of the map, etc. so it makes it easy to understand how you could plan a day trip or whatever. But also some people just love maps so any excuse for a map is a good one

I could also see it being useful to tourists who are trying to figure out a good way to get around the city for a weekend or week-long stay, etc.

When you go on the main site for GO/Metrolinx (they run everything on the map except the subways and BRT lines) they don't even make it easy to see a map like this.. I had to dig it up by googling for it. Every page I found via their site seemed to focus on specific regions or lines

I was googling it because my city is getting connected to this network, so I wanted to see my options basically. Like a grand overview

A map of all 76 American teams from the top 3 divisions of American soccer*

Next season's expansion/new teams are marked with a 1

If you want to read more about the American football pyramid and what the top 5 divisions look like in more detail, YOU CAN

Spoiler :

MLS and the USL leagues are single-entity type setups affiliated with each other. The teams in these leagues operate as franchises. Owners of the teams essentially own a stake in the league as a whole.

All the other leagues in the pyramid contain independent clubs. This is what European (and probably most other parts of the world) football fans will be more familiar with.

Over the last 20 years or so this pyramid has changed quite a bit. There has been a migration of clubs from the independent leagues to the single-entity leagues (MLS & USL). This is mainly driven by investors and owners who see more momentum w/ MLS and the franchise model.

There is no promotion/relegation anywhere in the pyramid, but the USL is planning pro/rel between USL1 and USL2, and an eventual introduction of a USL3 as well.

This pyramid is an ever-changing and evolving beast that spans 350 million people and a huge geographic size. If you overlay it over Europe it'd be similar to playing at home in Ireland and away in Iraq or Kazakhstan. So historically speaking, the leagues here have been very regional, and since soccer is the 5th most popular sport in the country after all, there just hasn't been enough momentum to unify the whole pyramid the same way you see it done in other countries. MLS has been basically trying to do this since its inception, and that's why they've affiliated themselves with USL.. They are slowly filling up all the top markets, but USL is actually now supposedly moving in its own direction in some way. All in all it's impossible to predict what this pyramid will look like in 10 years really..

* Also known as association football

Last edited:
self note 34779978 . Ban the use of the word "soccer" after invading the planet .

footie , maybe but ı don't ever remember encountering soccer in a "British" publication . Though , of course , it is still possible that the word is not American in origin ...

Yes, but nobody decent calls rugby ‘rugger’, anymore than they'd call breakfast ‘brekkers’.

the world would be so tasteless if ı had to google every word . And what is a rugby football , a new game or the ball that doesn't look like a ball ?

trademark of Guido Carpetto , a trader in Venice whose import business suffered greatly in the anti-Ottoman riots of 1570 . Would write a wikipedia article , having the experience of authoring one on the MiG-28 and the other about Chinese made anti-gravity galleys of 600AD or so in some sub-wiki but ı hear the wikipedia editors are really biased against Turks .

Personally I like the "Otter" map , which is quite otter than the others ! :think: hmmmm.... yes, yes, hmmmmm quite otter. :think: hmmmmm..... yes .....

Because there is a sun, but the cold still bites. Obviously not due to the sun, but that's poetics for you :p

Noooooo ! It is because Democrats have build the Hoover Dam and refuse to switch place the words ! Or was it Republicans .... :think: Anyway Dam Hoover ! :rotfl:

Nihil Novi Sub Sole - You must have said ... ehhh still Dam Hoover is more fun xD

Top Bottom