Altered maps IZ: gib clay!

I live right on the border of the lightning bug/firefly divide so I've heard both many times. I never knew the term was a regional thing.

Also a map of where lightning strikes are most common in the US. Maybe there is a connection?

I live right on the border of the lightning bug/firefly divide so I've heard both many times. I never knew the term was a regional thing.

Also a map of where lightning strikes are most common in the US. Maybe there is a connection?

The term here (afaik it is ancient Greek, but I am not sure) is rather elegant, and would translate to something like "flaresourcer".

Interesting. We call them "fireflies" and I had no idea there was even an alternate name. I live very close to the "lighting bug" deep red part of the map, but in the land of the free and not in the U.S.

Here's a map of football (read: soccer) clubs in the Canadian Premier League:

We have a new club coming next season. It's been announced already, although we don't know what the club name will be yet. It will be located in Saskachewan, which is the (empty) province you see in between the Winnipeg & Calgary/Edmonton clubs.

York region is just north of Toronto. York is actually what Toronto used to be called. The reason there is a cluster of clubs there is because this is the most heavily populated part of Canada. This is also a relatively new league, so it will be slowly filling out the rest of the country, as investors with solid plans continue coming on board. There are supposedly 2 clubs in the works in the province of Quebec, which is exciting (because that will truly complete this being an all-encompassing Canadian league)

It's also worth mentioning that York 9 has since rebranded as York United, w/ a much better crest/logo (IMO)

From what I understand there is only 1 other league on the planet that has a longer distance for a club to travel to for away matches. (The Russian league). This is also why I like the Halifax club name so much. usually "wanderers" implies that a club did not originally have a home.. but in this case the implication is that these guys have to travel insane distances for their away matches. Hopefully we'll have a 2nd maritime club at some point in the future, but this part of Canada isn't very populated (relatively speaking), so other parts of the country will be filled in first.

From what I understand there is only 1 other league on the planet that has a longer distance for a club to travel to for away matches. (The Russian league).

Some clubs from Northern Brazil (e.g. Manaus, Remo, Paysandu) get pretty close, e.g. Manaus, who are in Serie C but are trying to get promoted to Serie B, will play exactly half of its away games (6/12) in places that are over 2500 km away by the end of the season

I'm British and I've only ever said firefly, but maybe it's encroaching because it's so much faster and easier to say than lightning bug.

Would you prefer to call butterflies papilions?

If you are in the Chilean capital, you'll find yourself somewhere in Finland. Driving south there is a connected road system going as far south as Hungary. South of that there are roads going as far as northern Albania, but road segments are disconnected and in various parts connected by ferry route access only. If you want to go further south you will have to fly.

If you want to go as far south as possible you will have to then take a 12 hour long bus to the Argentinian part of Tierra del Fuego and then chat up some sailors to take you across the Beagle Channel to Puerto Williams, a very small settlement near a military base. From there you could hike southward into the mountains and proclaim victory

A map of clubs who have qualified for this region's (North & central America) Champions League tournament for next year.

This tournament is used to crown the champion of the whole continent. Clubs qualify by being the best in their own league (or via other tournaments such as the U.S. Open Cup)

There's 4 teams from the U.S., 4 clubs from Mexico and 2 from Canada, and 6 clubs from other smaller countries in central America & the caribbean.

This is a fascinating one that blew my mind at first, and I'm Polish

This is a 1670 map of the territories where Polish was the official language at the time

By now everyone's wondering "what the hell is that thing way out east, did somebody get deported to siberia by the Russians or something?", and yep, pretty much

A Polish guy with a weird name got deported there and created a small state named Jaxa that had a curious relationship with The Russians and the Chinese. The official and commonly used language in Jaxa for the duration of its existence was Polish.. huh. It's a pretty interesting story, I recommend you read the wikipedia article I linked above, and probably click into the article about Nikifor/Nicefor. It's just weird and interesting

Last edited:
This thread seems dead, but I altered some more maps so strap yourself in. Let me know if there's a more recent thread, but I didn't see one

Recently I got a bit curious about Toronto's subway and other rapid transit plans, and in the process found a map somebody had put together of all existing subway stops. I edited this map to be up to date and included several planned high-priority expansions, as well as a new subway line that construction will begin on soon. This new line will give me far better & easier access to BMO Field, when I visit Toronto.. which was another motivation for this project. I'm a visual person and wanted to see what sort of doors the planned rapid transit infrastructure would open for me on future visits.

- The red line is the new relief line that construction will begin on soon. It will be 16km / 10 miles long (for context).
- The purple line is about half as long as on this map, it does not yet connect with the green line in the east
- The green line is at the moment a bit shorter in the east as well, the last 3 subway stops don't yet exist. Instead there is an LRT system there that will end up being mothballed.
- The top 6 stops on the right-hand side of the orange U-shaped line don't yet exist. Instead that stretch of the Yonge street corridor is currently serviced by a BRT line using dedicated lanes.

So that's the subway situation.. But it got me thinking.. Over the last couple years Toronto had been building a much needed cross-town light rapid transit (LRT) line. Half of it is underground so it's sort of like a subway, but LRT vehicles are smaller and a bit slower than subway vehicles.. They all run in dedicated lanes, so as a passenger you are getting a transportation method that will never get stuck in traffic either way, so.. As such, I got to work adding this new line to my map.. and also ended up adding all the other LRT lines in Toronto and nearby cities... and two LRT lines that are high priority projects for the city and seem inevitable

There are only so many colours that stand out nicely on a map like this, so don't be tempted to think that two lines with the same colour have anything in common. I also turned off individual stops in this view, for obvious reasons.

- The blue LRT line in the east is what the green subway line extension will end up eliminating when it's built. On this map you can see both
- The black line is the Eglinton Crosstown LRT that's currently under construction and IIRC almost complete. Only the eastern 75% of it is being built right now; the expansion to the airport is high-priority though.
- The purple line in the west (near the airport) is the Finch LRT line that is due to be finished next year.
- The lone green line in the south-west is the Hurontario LRT in the nearby city of Mississauga (Toronto's little brother)
- There are two vertical/north/south LRT lines on this map that don't yet exist, one on each side of the U-shaped subway line. They are high priority projects that will connect transit lines and hubs.

But wait, there's more! Bus Rapid Transit systems can be almost as effective as LRT systems. Buses are a bit smaller and travel a bit slower than LRT vehicles, but if they have their own dedicated lanes, then they will never get stuck in traffic either. So.. I went to work to add all the BRT systems in the region to my map.. including several in the planning stages that seem high priority as well.

- Right off the bat let me explain that Hamilton thinks that it is Toronto's little brother. The red line is their under construction LRT line. They are also planning BRT lines, but the plans don't seem set in stone so I didn't add them.
- The two lines stretching way west (black) and way east (red) do not exist yet, but are high priority projects with planned stations, environmental assessment done, etc.
- There are plans for more more BRT routes north of the existing ones, near where you see Vaughan and Richmond Hill on the map, but they don't seem set in stone yet, so I didn't add them either.
- Not much to say about the other BRT lines other that they all connect to existing hubs and form a nice "can't get stuck in traffic" rapid transit network in the whole Golden Horseshoe. And if you look closely you can see that a lot of them tend to end at boundaries between municipalities

On top of all this there is also a 526km long regional commuter rail network servicing this whole region with 7 lines and 68 stations. If you see any of the lines on my maps ending in odd places, chances are they are connecting up with a GO Rail station. This GO rail network extends to areas beyond this map that you can't see, but basically just nearby cities, for commuting to/from work type scenarios. That's how Hamilton and Niagara falls are connected to Toronto, while on the above map they might seem a bit disconnected from a public transit pov.

On top of that GO also has a fleet of 517 commuter buses that fill in the gaps and stop at many GO Rail stations, plus 15 bus specific GO Transit stations.. Some of these routes run in dedicated lanes and so I should probably eventually add them to my map.. but these are sort of longer-distance bus routes that might belong in their own category. There is one being planned that spans the entire region from east to west.

If you've actually read all this and are now thinking: "So why is the airport not really that well connected to this network?

GREAT QUESTION

There is a plan to build a large transit hub right at the airport that a bunch of these lines would connect to. But.. details are vague right now and all those other projects are getting priority. The airport has never been connected well. Ten years ago I had to sit on a 45 minute long bus ride, which took me to a subway station an HOUR away from the city core.. These days there is an express rail link from downtown to the airport in place.. which I should actually probably add to this map too (since it has 3 stops that connect up to various parts of the network)

Last edited:
Going by the maps, it looks like either the metro lines are overly short or the light rail lines are overly long since they cover roughly the same distance. Also, the bottom map implies there are way too many transfers in the system (e.g. from Brampton to the city centre)

Top Bottom