Altered Maps XIV: Cartographical Consistency

Similarly, how appropriate would it be to describe Bulgaria as a country in the osman era?

So
I suppose I'm trying to "challenge you"

In what way is Scotland and Wales countries that Sapmi isn't? Or Bavaria/Bayern for that matter?

I don't know, tbh. It's a matter of tradition I guess. If - concerning a certain geographical area - the people in it, and the people surrounding it, have traditionally regarded it as a country and called it a country, then I suppose it is one. Also if wikipedia says it's a country, that's probably good enough for me.

The broadest definition of a country is a nation with its own government occupying a particular territory. Wales and Scotland fall under this definition (depending how you define "nation", "government", "territory" and "own", of course - but if we start doing that, we could be here all night), while Sapmi doesn't?

I'm just guessing really.

I'd say 'country' is a rather vague and generic term used to refer to patches of land of widely variable sizes that are not necessarily identified with a certain ethnicity, culture or other.

It can be used to refer to merely rural areas as well as to the large polity that contains both such areas and others politically recognised and/or constituted as part of it.

From the same site:

Spoiler US Gerrymandering Index :

Spoiler Most Gerrymandered Districts :

The Arizona one isnt really fair, they have an independent boundary commission but are also trying to keep the Navajo and Hopi in different districts, I think.

Milk consumption worldwide

Global lactose intolerance for comparison (don't have Asian-Americans for some reason :/)

[...]

Hm, didn't know that so much milk was consumed here, tbh. I haven't drunk it since highschool, but i know some people who regularly do :)

I wonder if it means "milk" as in "milk", or if that also includes anything processed like cheese, yoghurt, butter, etc.
Sounds more likely for me.

And I'm somehow surprised about the high lactose intolerance here. Thought that'd be lower.
Also: What's going on there in Niger o_O?

<in best Borachio style, nvm>

Global lactose intolerance for comparison (don't have Asian-Americans for some reason :/)

If the Chinese data isn't from the last five years, it's way out of days. Practically every single ad break on Chinese TV features dairy products now.

Also, the lactose intolerancy map is the wrong way round. Lactose intolerance is normal. Lactose digestion is the noteworthy mutation to show.

Top Bottom