Altered Maps XIV: Cartographical Consistency

So why are the Dutch and the Serbians so tall?

Arakhor said:
So why are the Dutch and the Serbians so tall?

I don't know. Someone had to be, I guess. :confused:

Or maybe it's "barbarian" descent (Roman sources described Germanic and Slavic people as much taller than Roman citizens).

But the English and the Ukrainians are much shorter.

========================

Height is largely determined by a combination of heredity and nutrition. So there might be also something about nutrition (in Ukraine I guess poverty = poor nutrition, but England is rich so it's not sheer scarcity of food, but might be something about their dietary habits).

While hereditary factors no doubt play a role, k think nutrition and other environmental factors are important as well. I think a century or two ago the Dutch were joked of as the one of the *shortest* people in Europe, for example. In some Asians, the younger generations - who have access to better food, healthcare, and so on - are noticeably taller than their elders. Bu the Japanese are still somewhat shorter on average despite all this.

Distribution of average male height in Europe:

Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1570677X14000665

Authors have suggested a positive correlation between height and frequency of haplogroup I. Haplogroup I is the marker of Mesolithic hunter-gatherers in most of Europe (except for European Russia, where Mesolithic hunter-gathrers had different HGs - it seems that mostly R1). However, looking first at the map above and then at their data on frequencies of I, doesn't convince me that there is a strong correlation (let alone causation).

Figures on frequencies of I in the studied countries from their "Appendix A. Supplementary data":

Can we get to maps we can actually talk about? Height of people in Europe: fine; a load of brown dots in southern France: not fine.

Just keep chugging milk down until you get a reaction, I guess.

If I consume too much dairy I get a reflux. Which can be more or less unpleasant. It takes about two or three pints (of milk or milk products, like yoghurt) consumed over a day and half for me, I think.
IIRC even people who are lactose intolerant can avoid the more unpleasant symptoms for a long time if they've had dairy continuously since infancy. So if you're mildly intolerant you might be able to drink/eat quite a lot.

Most popular cartoons in various European countries. Either that or most popular cartoon characters from various countries. Not sure how accurate it is, though, either way.

Oh wait, my bad, I should've said most popular cartoons in, not from, various european countries. Hmm. Either that or it's most popular cartoon characters from various European countries they live gin or something.

So...half of the European countries don't have any cartoonists?
And I'd have thought that Fix und Foxi are better known than Grisu, but then again, this is from a global perspective, I guess.

Also: Most be "from", not "in".
Asterix is probably one of the most popular cartoon figures here.

D'Artacan? I doubt many under the age of thirty know it, let alone like it. I personally know but have never watched it, not that they have aired it anytime in the last ten years (at least).

Dogtanian was Spanish?? I didn't realise that.

The source material was, certainly, but Wikipedia claims it was Japanese-Spanish in origin.

Top Bottom