Antifa rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for useful clarification. . .

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47219957

This is what inhibiting free speech looks like. The President (a government official) using a mob to prevent reporters from reporting on the President. Antifa is not able to do this, so to the extent they limit speech they do so without violating the constitution.

More examples of US governments actually violating free speech rights. . .

NORTH DAKOTA LAWMAKERS are considering a bill to restrict the release of records related to security operations involving “critical infrastructure” — a category that includes fossil fuel pipelines. The bill comes after The Intercept and other media outlets published stories documenting law enforcement surveillance and coordination with private security during the Dakota Access pipeline protests, many of which were based on records released under the North Dakota Open Records Act.

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/11/north-dakota-public-records-pipeline-protest/

Essentially hiding their actions against protesters so that they can get around culpability of violating the first amendment.

Again this is what actual suppression of free speech looks like, not some kids punching nazis.

Right wing terrorists shut down Oregon assembly. These terrorists include a state senator. . .

Also late Friday, Courtney and House Speaker Tina Kotek, both Democrats, condemned comments made by Sen. Brian Boquist, a Republican from Dallas, Oregon, that urged the state police to “send bachelors and come heavily armed” when they come to bring him back to the Capitol.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2019/...ocking-oregon-from-addressing-climate-crisis/

Remember the reaction to BLM members threatening law enforcement? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Call Antifa to round them up

Lavoy Finicum too

I'm not sure further escalation is called for yet, although posting this here was intentional.

I'm not sure further escalation is called for yet, although posting this here was intentional.
I very much think it is. If state governments and the Federal government continue to tolerate threats from militias, there will be more of them until civil war is upon us.

How does one meet the Antifas? Are they on meetup.com?

Maybe in Oregon. . . They seem to have a decent following there right?

Do people still think that being anti fascist is somehow inherently fascist

I wonder how well turning the tables and saying anti-Communist is somehow Communist would work. I wonder what ol' McCarthy would have said to that out-of-left-field challenge lobbed at him.

I think that depends on the validity of the dissent. Vaccines should be mandatory, no it is not fascist to silence the anti-vax.

Attacking protesters to silence dissent is 'inherently fascist'

Not really. It's definitely totalitarian, authoritarian, intolerant of opposition views in a violent way, and having an oppressive attitude. But these are generic socio-political traits attached to MANY ideological viewpoints and stances, both right-wing and left-wing. Fascism, by proper definition, is a VERY SPECIFIC socio-political outlook and ideology with VERY SPECIFIC defining qualities, beliefs, parameters, and contexts - it's NOT just a word for generic tyranny.

Attacking protesters to silence dissent is 'inherently fascist'

No it's not, if the protesters are literal neo-nazis, white supremacists etc.

Intolerance of Intolerance isn't bigotry, it's common sense.

Edit: I understand it's difficult if you have no skin in the game, but EVERYONE should resist Neo-nazis and their ilk, if they had their way people like me would end up dead

I think that depends on the validity of the dissent. Vaccines should be mandatory, no it is not fascist to silence the anti-vax.

attacking them is

No it's not, if the protesters are literal neo-nazis, white supremacists etc.

Intolerance of Intolerance isn't bigotry, it's common sense.

Edit: I understand it's difficult if you have no skin in the game, but EVERYONE should resist Neo-nazis and their ilk, if they had their way people like me would end up dead

If if if... We're not talking about 'intolerance', we're talking about attacking protesters.

Not really. It's definitely totalitarian, authoritarian, intolerant of opposition views in a violent way, and having an oppressive attitude. But these are generic socio-political traits attached to MANY ideological viewpoints and stances, both right-wing and left-wing. Fascism, by proper definition, is a VERY SPECIFIC socio-political outlook and ideology with VERY SPECIFIC defining qualities, beliefs, parameters, and contexts - it's NOT just a word for generic tyranny.

so fascism isn't totalitarian, authoritarian, and intolerant of opposition views in a violent way, thats anti-fascism.

We're talking about protesters who if they had their way would institute fascism, which would lead to the deaths of those in the lgbt community, people of colour, political dissidents, etc yet you are willing to defend them? Talking to them doesn't work, nor does platforming them either.

That makes you morally culpable at best and an enabler at worst.

so fascism isn't totalitarian, authoritarian, and intolerant of opposition views in a violent way, thats anti-fascism.

No. Fascism IS totalitarian, authoritarian and intolerant of opposition, definitely. But it's not UNIQUE in being so by far. It's just a SPECIFIC form and ideology with a SPECIFIC context and framework of being those traits. But there are MANY, MANY, MANY socio-political ideologies and viewpoints on both the right-wing and left-wing of the spectrum who also match those traits. And, those groups do violently apply those traits against EACH OTHER all the time (classic case study - Communist and Nazi party militia framing electoral activity in the Weimar Republic).

We're talking about protesters who if they had their way would institute fascism, which would lead to the deaths of those in the lgbt community, people of colour, political dissidents, etc yet you are willing to defend them? Talking to them doesn't work, nor does platforming them either.

How about anti-vaxers?

No. Fascism IS totalitarian, authoritarian and intolerant of opposition, definitely

Do fascists violently suppress speech?

Ugh, you forgot women from your list there. SMH.

Looking at the way Antifa acts, if they had the power, their reign would probably also lead to the deaths of political dissenters, some of which would be LGBTQQIP2SAA+, people of varying hues, women, children (does harming children evoke an emote anymore?), people of money and the escalating cascade of people that would be deemed to stand in the way of utopia, who would be deemed "privileged" or "white supremacist", or what ever their crime would be this time. For the rousseauists of the French revolution it was monarchist, for the Bolsheviks it was bourgeoisie, and so it goes. I wouldn't trust either of them with power. Not the fascists, and not the anti-fascists.

How about anti-vaxers?

They're stupid, and will be responsible for negligent death, debilitation, and higher medical costs on a large scale for no appreciable gain if they get their way legally and legislatively, which should be enough for major prison time in any civilized society in and of itself, but I never hear about them (yet) resorting to violence to silence opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom