Appropriate reactions

I'm well aware of what the real picture is.
The real picture being: "The modern left is hypocritical morally bankrupt trash."

Which translates to: Ziggy is hypocritical morally bankrupt trash. Because Ziggy is modern, Ziggy is left.

People need to take a chill pill. All the doomsdayers talking about immigration, supreme court, wars in the middle east, russia, all that stuff happens slowly and is not solely influenced by the president.

What you should be appropriately concerned with is health care and the economy cus there congress and trump can enact real change, for better or worse. Will they try to replace obamacare entirely or fix portions of it? It would be a really big deal if suddenly some 20 million americans go from rising premiums to no insurance at all. Obamacare has issues but made some real strides on stuff like pre existing conditions and lifetime maximums. Hopefully those aren't lost in a total repeal.

The other issue is the economy cus trump clearly subscribes to supply side economics (although he has said he will get rid of certain deductions for the ultra rich like carried forward interest). So it's really a battle of reaganomics, cut taxes, decrease regulation and let the businesses boom and hope that leads to increased pay for workers vs more taxes and government spending to spur the economy.

It's really weird too cus you'd think his tariffs fly in the face of supply side economics but he says he wants them. I hope we don't see a bunch of inflation. Though I just bought a house and a car last two years so I wouldn't mind interest rates going up a bit.

I know. When there's a global recession you have to cut funding from either welfare, healthcare, public education, or science funding. He should have cut the other three? Would that have made you happier? I doubt it.
Welfare, healthcare, and public education are all provincial responsibilities. The science he went after was specifically anything to do with the environment, since he had to keep his buddies in the oil industries happy.

Robo calls. Lol.
What sort of comment is that? It happened - not to me, since I live in a riding that has been heavily and pathologically right-wing (federally) for the last 80 years - but it did happen in some other ridings. Liberal and NDP supporters were called and told their polling stations' locations had changed, or the hours had changed - in an attempt to make people go to the wrong locations. Once there and having found out there was no polling station (or it had closed), presumably the voter would either give up or wouldn't be able to find the correct place in time. They got caught red-handed doing this with phone calls, so they tried it with the Voter Information Cards this past election. Thing is, nobody is ever going to believe that sending people over 100 km out of the way, or to a private island accessible only by private boat (no ferry service), or "disappearing" people from the voter's list when they'd been on it, at that address, for over 30 years could be anything but deliberate.

But, you have no problem with both the NDP and Liberal Party paying Canada's State media the CBC millions for positive coverage? Look it up.
Suppose you provide a link, since you're the one making the claim. You do know, don't you, that 9 of the 11 people on the CBC Board of Directors were appointed by Stephen Harper as payback for their having donated to his version of the Conservative Party?

Honor killings are trendy and liberal now. Bad on Harper for passing a law against FGM and honor killings. Canada should be more like Saudi Arabia.
Wow. Looks like somebody doesn't actually know what I was talking about in reference to the "Barbaric Cultural Practices" snitch line.

Canada needs unvetted Middle Eastern immigrants that hate Western culture and values? Vetting people so you don't bring in the ones who practice FGM, honor killings and are sympathetic to Sunni Extremism and practice Sharia is bad. Don't write laws forbidding those things either because that would be rayyssiss.
I see talking points like this daily on the CBC comment boards. The CPC "opinion adjusters" are still being paid to spout their assigned talking points of the day. You forgot to express hysteria that Justin Trudeau hasn't forbidden mosques from requiring that men and women sit separately when they're conducting their religious services.

As I said the left's reaction and rhetoric is pure hysteria.

Maybe the modern left will come back to reality someday, but I won't hold my breath.
I've actually had the experience, more than once, of having to argue for my right to vote because some airhead Elections Canada returning office employee (Conservative/Reform-Alliance-appointed) didn't feel like complying with the law that says disabled voters are allowed to vote at home, by special ballot, if they have a medical condition that makes it impossible for them to vote at a regular polling station.

It's not "hysteria." It's fact.

BTW, another fact is that I'm not male, so kindly stop referring to me as "he".

It seems to me that this is what happened:

At the DNC: "Hey so the Republicans are going with Trump as their presidential candidate"

"LOL okay so hmm who should we pick to run against him? How about the one person we know a lot of America despises and would never vote for?"

"I honestly don't see what could possibly go wrong with that plan"

:lol:

I should be crying not laughing, but F it, the American political establishment brought this on itself. Trump winning is already affecting my portfolio and the strength of the Canadian $, and who knows what else is going to happen over the next 4 years. I don't forsee anything good coming out of this, except that.. it might be a bit entertaining from time to time I guess?

Good job, America. You did the undoable. Please don't try to beat this with something even more stupid a couple years from now

After some reflection, the appropriate action for those of us in the US who may be dissatisfied with the election results is to take action and start to pave the way for superior results in two and four years. The Democratic establishment has utterly failed its constituency. Through corruption at the highest levels of its national leadership, the Democratic Party anointed an establishment candidate and froze out the passionate left wing of the party. As a result, the Party’s electorate wasn’t engaged in this campaign and now the Party is reaping its dues.

The appropriate action is to write to your elected officials and get them to engage with the public and tack to the left. Write your congressmen and tell them the Democratic party lost because it did not reflect the interests of its electorate. Perhaps more importantly, write your local officials and encourage them to run for higher office. The Democratic bench suddenly got real shallow and a lot of guys are going to need to get called up from the minors. Encourage those who you think will do a good job to take that leap.

God help us all. It just got real. It might be several months before it gets REAL real, but the pucky is going to hit the fan.

Time to remember why states' rights and limited federal powers are important. The Democrats just got flogged for not listening to their Tea Party. If you live in a healthy state, please help run those furnaces of democracy. Prohibition and minimum wage initiatives did well yesterday.

Everyone who keeps talking about how everything is going to be fine, you're blind.

Let's take the most optimistic view on a Trump presidency. No additional wars, Trump surprisingly doesn't destroy free speech for the press, etc... But what he will do, what consitutes a major part of his program (and of his appeal) is his promise to refuse the Paris agreement and make the US go back on the track of fossile energy. Coal and oil.

Many scientists think the the Paris agreement is too little too late. But it's something. It might slow down climate change enough that we find a way to manage it later on. It's also a good first try, upon which it will be possible to have other agreements in order to save our planet. But if the US's CO2 production increases dramatically over the next 4 years, along with a refusal by its government to participate in any attempt at salvaging the earth, it will take at least a decade before progress can be made again. And I mean a decade after Trump leaves office. And 2030 (at best) WILL be too late.

Climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese right ? From now on you won't find me weeping whenever a hurricane hits the American south.

I'm fairly lucky in that I'm quite removed from a Trump victory, so I'm seeing it more through the lens of "exciting political event" than "this is terrible how will I survive" (and probably much more so than a lot of American posters) - does personal detachment from a political loss provide more freedom for dispassionately assessing outcomes without the need to inject optimism or pessimism? Or is greater tact required when prognosticating about the impact of a political loss on other people?
As a white, heterosexual man without any children living in a relatively prosperous corner of the US I'm kind of in this boat myself. The election of Trump makes me want to throw up and I no longer know what country I'm living in, but it's entirely possible that it won't directly impact my life too much.

There are plenty of Loonies in Canada anyway. In fact, Canada has way, way more Loonies than the United States.

People need to take a chill pill. All the doomsdayers talking about immigration, supreme court, wars in the middle east, russia, all that stuff happens slowly and is not solely influenced by the president.
This is a good point, and the reason I'm also very concerned about the Republican control of Congress and, soon, of the Supreme Court. The Democrats didn't just lose the White House last night, they also underperformed in the Congressional races. How President Trump interacts with the more traditional Republicans is a big question, but still, the Republican Party essentially has both hands on the wheel now and is as close as any party ever gets to having its way for the next couple years (and of course Supreme Court appointments are for life, and there's potential for President Trump to name three justices to the Court while he has the Congressional majority to get them confirmed).

There are plenty of Loonies in Canada anyway. In fact, Canada has way, way more Loonies than the United States.

I'm not talking about the currency. Not in a humorous mood right now.

People need to take a chill pill. All the doomsdayers talking about immigration, supreme court, wars in the middle east, russia, all that stuff happens slowly

No. You wake up one morning and see on TV a great big fire in a skyscraper because some plane crashed into it.

No, I'm sticking by what I said. War and stuff does NOT happen slowly. Everything is fine one day and then, wham!

Make America Stupid Again

Top Bottom