Brexit Thread IX - Voters' Remorse

You know that you cannot just choose a small time span.
Yes, quite. I think said something like that.
It must be longer than the cycle of bubbles and bursts for any useful comparison. Which is why the full 20 years of the Euro finally provide a better basis for comparisons. Between the countries inside it from the start, the ones outside it during this whole time but within the EU, and the ones outside both. Western and central Europe continent has these three kinds of countries.
I just don't have the time and inclination to run all those numbers here. Someone else, who feels so compelled, might?

EU citizens arriving in UK being locked up and expelled

Europeans with job interviews tell of detentions and expulsions despite rules allowing non-visa holders to attend interviews

EU citizens are being sent to immigration removal centres and held in airport detention rooms as the UK government’s “hostile environment” policy falls on them after Brexit, according to campaigners and travellers interviewed by the Guardian.

Europeans with job interviews are among those being denied entry and locked up. They have spoken of being subjected to the traumatic and humiliating experience of expulsion, despite Home Office rules that explicitly allow non-visa holders to attend interviews.

At least a dozen European citizens – mostly young women – were detained and expelled at Gatwick airport alone over 48 hours last week, two female Spanish detainees told the Guardian. Some were sent two hours’ drive away to Yarl’s Wood detention centre in Bedfordshire, where a Covid scare meant they were confined to their rooms.​

UK came THIRD in each of the last two main Olympics; losing out to just the immensely larger China and United States.

The UK was well ahead of any of the EU member states there.

UK is ahead, but only six medals separate 3rd and 5th places, While the US has 64 medals higher then the UK which is well ahead. Not a bad achievement in the field of sports though you know its just sports.

https://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/sample-applications/olympic-games/

Last edited:
Surely the question is why are so many EU institutions based somewhere that is so rich, rather than somewhere employment could have been used to support the economies more ?

They base themselves in a location with easy access, good hotels, bars and restaurants I imagine -

and so your EU bureaucracy ends up supporting the Belgian economy, as does NATO and the rest :)

For a small state such indirect benefits of [EU] membership often outweigh the net contribution, and make it a profitable operation.

It also has amusement value - as the freaks from all over Europe end up here :

A Hungarian MEP in Viktor Orbán’s rightwing party, spotted fleeing along a gutter to escape police raiding a “sex party” above a Brussels bar, has apologised for breaching Belgium’s lockdown rules.

Right-wing Hungarian MEP resigns for attending 'sex party' that broke Belgian lockdown | Hungary | The Guardian

Last edited:
EU citizens arriving in UK being locked up and expelled

Europeans with job interviews tell of detentions and expulsions despite rules allowing non-visa holders to attend interviews

EU citizens are being sent to immigration removal centres and held in airport detention rooms as the UK government’s “hostile environment” policy falls on them after Brexit, according to campaigners and travellers interviewed by the Guardian.

Europeans with job interviews are among those being denied entry and locked up. They have spoken of being subjected to the traumatic and humiliating experience of expulsion, despite Home Office rules that explicitly allow non-visa holders to attend interviews.

At least a dozen European citizens – mostly young women – were detained and expelled at Gatwick airport alone over 48 hours last week, two female Spanish detainees told the Guardian. Some were sent two hours’ drive away to Yarl’s Wood detention centre in Bedfordshire, where a Covid scare meant they were confined to their rooms.​

Let's hope these are just teething problems, perhaps mostly Covid related.
On the plus side, it is good to know so many EUians still want to come and work here to join the millions that have applied for settled status (despite Brexit).

Five million EU citizens apply for UK settled status – nearly double what was predicted pre-Brexit
Questions raised over Government’s control of immigration, after only 3m were estimated to have been living in UK at the time of Brexit vote

More than five million EU citizens living in the UK have applied for settled status, nearly double the number thought to be residents before the EU referendum, official figures revealed on Thursday.

The Home Office data showed 4.9 million of the 5.4 million had already been granted settled status, of which 4.88 million were living in England. This compares with the three million that were estimated to have been in the UK at the time of the vote on Brexit in 2016.

It came as the Home Office launched a new information campaign urging EU citizens living in the UK to apply for the settlement scheme as soon as possible, before the deadline of June 30.

But senior Tory MPs said it raised questions about the quality of government data on the numbers of migrants in Britain, which is critical for Whitehall departments, councils, health trusts and schools to plan the appropriate level of services to meet local demand.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...tizens-apply-uk-settled-status-nearly-double/

Five million EU citizens apply for UK settled status – nearly double what was predicted pre-Brexit
Questions raised over Government’s control of immigration, after only 3m were estimated to have been living in UK at the time of Brexit vote.

Let me guess this is the EU fault for not forcing the UK to ban Polish and Romanians immigration for 10 years.

Polish and Romanians top nationalities applying for EU settlement scheme

Last edited:
At the very least the EU could have kept a better count of migration to and from the UK over the years.

I wasn't being serious.

Edit: It will be interesting to see how it goes when the world returns to whatever the new normal is going to be.
The examples were of a family member coming to help as an au pair. (Essentially working - not allowed) and coming looking for work.

Will the UK still be as attractive if it makes itself as welcoming as say the USA?

Last edited:
The Tories don't want your tired, your poor, your huddled masses. They do however want all that foreign money yearning to be free.

At the very least the EU could have kept a better count of migration to and from the UK over the years.

I am not sure that was ever the EU's responsibility.

The EU might have wanted to undertake some estimates of internal migration to determine the success of its freedom of movement policy,
and it also might have wanted to keep a track on external migration from outside the EU into the EU by totalling member states figures.

However I am unaware of any such treaty obligation.

But the whole point of the free movement of labour is that people are not being counted when migrating internally.

As the UK, (excepting re Eire), requires and required passports to be shown, the discrepancy was down to the UK government.

The only misinformation we want in this thread is homegrown English misinformation!

I wasn't being serious.

I‘m sorry that I seemed to be the only one getting that joke. But that is also a sad commentary on how dogged this whole subject has gotten.

For example, why do olympic sports medals count? They are a very crude approximation of a countries success in sports, but they are certainly not reliable data.

You quote a link that provides results for Olympics from 1896
to 2008, but omits the last two Olympics: 2012 and 2016 !
You are determined to excel at Downunder misinformation.

Honest mistake gov.
Congrats again on Summer sports I guess ?

London 2012 Olympics: Third of Team GB medals 'won by immigrants'
More than a third of Britain's London 2012 Olympic medal winners were born abroad or had a foreign parent or grandparent, a new study has suggested.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/o...hird-of-Team-GB-medals-won-by-immigrants.html

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/boris-johnson-brexit-adviser-7980212
Now Brexit negotiator David Frost - now tasked with shaping the UK's post-Brexit with the EU, has revealed the government is looking to hire someone to demonstrate the opportunities.

Speaking to a committee of MPs, he said: “We have high hopes of outside input into this process. We’re all fully behind making things happen.”

He said those opportunities could come from financial services regulation, reform to agricultural subsidies, and speeding up clinical trials of drugs. Frost also pointed to subsidy control, changing procurement rules, and freeports where there will be imminent change.

I guess, better late than never?

Top Bottom