[NFP] Byzantium & Gaul Pack (September 2020) - Patch Notes Discussion

The livestream seemed to imply the units from SoZ gave the culture though. Brings up a good test - if they build the Venetian Arsenal, do they get double the culture there? If so, they would have arguably the best source to convert late production to culture by spamming boats.

Does Alexander the Great get double science with venetian arsenal? I would guess the game uses the same script to check.

It seems Gaul's warrior replacement cannot upgrade into swordsmen, and must wait until musketmen. A very odd choice, considering that swordsmen are an Iron unit and gaul focuses on mining.

Also, the Oppidium industrial zone replacement comes with Iron Working (swordsman tech) as well...

guess we now understand why they gave it the +10 CS VS stronger units

Welp, as to the Mac version, a patch downloaded and installed and I can start the game, but Gaul and Byzantium are not available. Further, they do not show as being available in the Steam Store.
Yup same issue here.

But I restarted Steam again, and now I see them.

A question regarding Byzantium: Does a completed Hippodrome give a free Heavy Cavalry unit, as well as every building in that district?
Or is only one Heavy Cavalry unit granted when all buildings in a Hippodrome are constucted?
Thanks

It's whenever a Hippodrome is completed and any building within it is completed.

So building a Hippodrome and then building the 3 buildings in it should award 4 free heavy cavalry in total.

There is a strange quirk in the combat animation for the Gaesatae -- the last enemy figure leaps across the hex and disappears. Not sure whether that's intended or a bug

edit: I think I know what it is. They're using the Spearman animations, but some of the Gaesatae figures have swords rather than spears, so the victim is doing the "being impaled on a spear and thrown" animation, but the Gaesatae figure with a sword is just standing there.

It's hard to believe that bugs that are this obvious (within the first 15 minutes of play) get through QA. It's not a good sign that the QA guy was talking about things that "he thinks" might have been fixed in the next version, the day before live release.

Last edited:
that city is following Eastern Orthodoxy, while the other cities he has are following crab religion. Perhaps that’s the issue?
Confirmed, he screwed up!

There is a strange quirk in the combat animation for the Gaesatae -- the last enemy figure leaps across the hex and disappears. Not sure whether that's intended or a bug.
I see that Gaesatae skewer the last enemy and swing them overhead, much like or exactly like the spearmen do.

I am disappointed that they still haven't done anything about the barbarians which are still a pain in the ass, nothing more. It can't be so hard to implement an option "raging barbarians" (on or off) like in previous Civ games. So we all have to play with raging barbarians all the time.

It's not a good sign that the QA guy was talking about things that "he thinks" might have been fixed in the next version, the day before live release.

Keep in mind that there's a 3-4-month delay between Firaxis finishing work on the patch, and it releasing. Lots of things have been fixed that aren't public yet, so generally these "I think" quotes are going to be because they know the problem is fixed, but don't remember which release the fix is in.

Keep in mind that there's a 3-4-month delay between Firaxis finishing work on the patch, and it releasing. Lots of things have been fixed that aren't public yet, so generally these "I think" quotes are going to be because they know the problem is fixed, but don't remember which release the fix is in.
Except the problem he was talking about (Work Ethic) apparently isn't fixed.

I see that Gaesatae skewer the last enemy and swing them overhead, much like or exactly like the spearmen do.
It'll do the animation correctly if the Gaesatae figure happens to have a spear, but if he or she has a sword, he or she just stands there while the victim flies through the air.

Maybe QA plays with the animations off, otherwise I don't see how they could miss it.

Playing the game for a bit on Immortal, a ways into the game, and it feels like the AI changes to focus more on science is pretty noticeable. Not sure what it will mean for the endgame, and I still wish it wasn't as easy to befriend people (allied with everyone in my game right now) but it definitely feels like they're keeping up better science-wise.

Just started up a game as Byzantium, and I wince at "King Basil II". He was an emperor (basileus), it's in his friggen name! /s

Does anybody else have the unfortunate automatic turn ending on with this update? The moment I move my last unit the turn automatically ends and I don't find the menu/option where to turn it off. :cry:

Top Bottom