• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Christianity and the Old testament

Besides, the ten commandments are meant for Jews only, not gentiles. There's the Noahide laws for the gentiles.

Christ changed that. You see...Christ didnt come to create Christianity.....he came to change the Jewish Faith as prophesy foretold. I dont think the plan was to create an entire new religion......but the Jews rejected him as the Messiah.

And if one considers this, then of course the old testament is relevant and pertaining to christianity today. While we may no longer live under the Law of Moses, there are still huge parts of the OT that directly pertain on our daily lives and plenty of wisdom to be gleaned from it.

Christ changed that. You see...Christ didnt come to create Christianity.....he came to change the Jewish Faith as prophesy foretold. I dont think the plan was to create an entire new religion......but the Jews rejected him as the Messiah.
Jesus was a false prophet for the simple fact that one of the two types of false prophets recongized in the Tanakh is one who declares that any particular word or commandment which God has said no longer applies. God's word is supposed to be eternal. The prophecy wasn't to change the Jewish Faith. The prophecy was to bring upon the Messianic Age.

Jesus was a false prophet for the simple fact that one of the two types of false prophets recongized in the Tanakh is one who declares that any particular word or commandment which God has said no longer applies. God's word is supposed to be eternal. The prophecy wasn't to change the Jewish Faith. The prophecy was to bring upon the Messianic Age.

He fulfilled the law, thus the penalty of the Law no longer applies to those that believe on him. The penalty of breaking the law was death, but Jesus had conquered that.

He fulfilled the law, thus the penalty of the Law no longer applies to those that believe on him. The penalty of breaking the law was death, but Jesus had conquered that.

"fulfilled the law" = "law no longer applies." Thus, false prophet.

Jesus was a false prophet

And on that note, we will simply have to disagree. But bear in mind, your allegation does nothing to change my point. Christ, the messiah, came to offer the new covenant, as a fullfillment of jewish prophecy. In that regard, again, its obvious that the OT is still pertinent and holds meaning to christians today.

"fulfilled the law" = "law no longer applies." Thus, false prophet.

The law didnt apply before Moses either....were those prior to Moses....i.e. Abraham, et al...also false prophets?

Hardly.

The law didnt apply before Moses either....were those prior to Moses....i.e. Abraham, et al...also false prophets?
Nope. They had separate covenants, and were not the Children of Israel. The Noahide Covenant still applies to all of humanity, for example. Besides, last time I checked, "law that no longer applies" is different from "creation of law", and something being eternal does not mean that there was no creation.

There's alot of sense in what you're saying, however some people on these boards have stated verbatim on several occasions that the Old Testament has abosilutely nothing to do with Christianity.
Who?

So, you are essentially telling me that this was all decided by error-prone humans, and is not based on an instruction from God, like the rest of the Bible.

Since when does the word of man overrule the word of God?
Not at all. I'm saying this is the most reasonable interpretation of the Bible that I see, and the vast majority of Christians agree. Man does not overrule God, and I don't know where you got the idea that I said that.

Have you even read the whole Bible, may I ask?

Bill, that's the difference between a prophet and the Messiah. A prophet did not have the authority to nullify the law, but the Messiah could, because He is God Himself.

Katheryn for one. There have been others but names elude me, a number of them were fringe posters though.
Huh. Well, that isn't, as far as I can tell, a mainstream view. The number of people who believe that are probably as numerous as the people who think Christians are still under all the Old Testament laws. Two extremes, neither a majority, or even when put together. :)

Bill, that's the difference between a prophet and the Messiah. A prophet did not have the authority to nullify the law, but the Messiah could, because He is God Himself.

The Tanakh/Old Testament says absolutely nothing about the Messiah being God, and instead says that he would be a high priest, king, and prophet.

Besides, if He was to create another covenant with the gentiles, He wouldn't have done it by creating one which sought to destroy the beliefs of the Children of Israel.

Not at all. I'm saying this is the most reasonable interpretation of the Bible that I see, and the vast majority of Christians agree. Man does not overrule God, and I don't know where you got the idea that I said that.

See, what's happening is man interpreting which parts of God's word to follow and which to discard - without God's input.

Since God hasn't told you which parts to ignore and which to accept, why not follow all of God's word?

And I've read the entire Bible, yes.

Since God hasn't told you which parts to ignore and which to accept, why not follow all of God's word?
A) Because it regularly contradicts itself.
B) Because you have no guarantee that any- let alone all- of it is God's word, it's simply the doctrine of the Church that these particular writers were "inspired" by God.
C) Because blindly accepting anything you're told "just to be safe is" hardly a true expression of faith.

Top Bottom