Clown Car IV: The Dotard and Dunce Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's going to change a little, in part because of how Trump just steamrolled over the expectation that a candidate have no faults.

It's going to become possible for a candidate to admit this kind of stuff up front and not have it sink the campaign right from the outset.

Being too dumb to know that blackface is offensive pales in comparison to the racist crap Trump got elected despite, so just fess up right out of the gate.

D'ump is a Republican. They are very forgiving about racism and such. If it had been revealed that he had a subscription to Mother Jones that might have sunk him.

Anecdote included purely for entertainment:

Spoiler :
I was in the navy in the eighties. McCarthy had certainly been officially discredited, but there was still plenty of 'red scare' to be found in various corners of the cold war. I was, oddly enough, right in the front lines of the cold war, so being a Mother Jones subscriber was a choice made for reasons other than career enhancement.

Then one fine day I'm reading the latest issue and come across "we need your support-gift subscription offer." Now, at that time Mother Jones was pretty much 100% funded by subscriptions. It wasn't really sold anywhere, and their commitment to "not being biased by the financial support of the military industrial complex" extended to refusing ads from pretty much everyone. So I thought that getting a few gift subscriptions to pile onto my own was an admirable idea.

I considered a couple like minded friends, but unlike me they lived on base in the barracks so their mailing address was actually the boat. That seemed like asking for trouble for them. So I got myself a gift subscription, giving the boat as my address. But an extra copy for myself that I could pass around on the boat didn't seem like doing as much as I had set out to do, and one copy for the entire boat seemed...stingy. So I got another one to be delivered to the boat...in the captain's name.

And people think I've never been a nice guy.

Surprisingly, he was...unappreciative.

D'ump is a Republican.
Yeah, but I think he's loosened things a bit for everyone.

When one thinks back to unseemly celebration crashing Howard Dean's candidacy, one sees we'd gone too far.

Last edited:
D'ump is a Republican. They are very forgiving about racism and such. If it had been revealed that he had a subscription to Mother Jones that might have sunk him.
Nah, man, he even admitted to having funded HRC's campaigns.
He already did, then the day after that he is saying it's not him in the photograph.
That's… very Trumpy of him.

I guess you wont be defending that

https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/jet

How about you Lex?

None of that does in any way support what you said. The only thing that you did get right, was that the movement of the sun over the course of the year shifts the jetstream north and south, everything else was just nonsense that has nothing to do with what this site is saying. Climate change has next to nothing to do with that, and it certainly won't push the jetstream further north and cause a stable situation from which it is harder for the cold air to escape. You can't just randomly connect axial tilt and warmer climate and pretend that they have the exact same effect. In no way, shape or form does a 1-2 degrees warmer climate have the magnitude to override the general effect that causes the seasons. The jetstream will still move back and forth in just the same way, depending on how the earth is positioned compared to the sun.

Anecdote included purely for entertainment:

Spoiler :
I was in the navy in the eighties. McCarthy had certainly been officially discredited, but there was still plenty of 'red scare' to be found in various corners of the cold war. I was, oddly enough, right in the front lines of the cold war, so being a Mother Jones subscriber was a choice made for reasons other than career enhancement.

Then one fine day I'm reading the latest issue and come across "we need your support-gift subscription offer." Now, at that time Mother Jones was pretty much 100% funded by subscriptions. It wasn't really sold anywhere, and their commitment to "not being biased by the financial support of the military industrial complex" extended to refusing ads from pretty much everyone. So I thought that getting a few gift subscriptions to pile onto my own was an admirable idea.

I considered a couple like minded friends, but unlike me they lived on base in the barracks so their mailing address was actually the boat. That seemed like asking for trouble for them. So I got myself a gift subscription, giving the boat as my address. But an extra copy for myself that I could pass around on the boat didn't seem like doing as much as I had set out to do, and one copy for the entire boat seemed...stingy. So I got another one to be delivered to the boat...in the captain's name.

And people think I've never been a nice guy.

Surprisingly, he was...unappreciative.

My nephew came home from a tour in the Air Force thinking McCarthy was a Great American Patriot.

I don't think we're going to get a national emergency out of this state of the union though I do expect Trump to say he could totally do that and will if the evil Democrats don't stop letting rapists into the country.

I'm expecting to see teleprompter Trump to make an appearance tonight and for the press to mostly ignore the content of it and tell us how presidential he sounded. I am hoping PBS repeats their performance from after his televised oval office address where they more or less fact checked him the second he went off air and told everyone he was misleading and spreading falsehoods.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia is supplying the latest US weaponry to their various "Allies" in Yemen. I'm certain that if anyone in the US govt. tries to bring this to Trumps attention he will say either "I don't care" or "You're Fired" 'cause the Saudis would never lie to him.
https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2019/02/middleeast/yemen-lost-us-arms/

Hey, they paid for it, they get to do whatever they want with it. You can't really expect the US to take any responsibility for what we sell.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia is supplying the latest US weaponry to their various "Allies" in Yemen. I'm certain that if anyone in the US govt. tries to bring this to Trumps attention he will say either "I don't care" or "You're Fired" 'cause the Saudis would never lie to him.
https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2019/02/middleeast/yemen-lost-us-arms/
Wow that is a pretty damning story. Well with friends like these the American Hegemony doesn't really need enemies.

Honestly though we should not be allied with the House of Saud. They have made a business of export radical Salafist teachings for almost a century. I supported the shale boom of Bush not because I wanted the Koch brothers to be billionaires x10 but because I wanted to extricate the US foreign policy for arming what is truly an enemy of global peace. Its about damn time the American (and the globe) people get that payoff.

On almost every issue Iran makes a more sympathetic ally in the region then Saud does, the only exception being the Israel question. Which begs the question why do the Israelis tolerate this duplicity of the Saudi regime? I'm assuming this is one of those too many people are making money things and that needs to change.

I don't think we're going to get a national emergency out of this state of the union though I do expect Trump to say he could totally do that and will if the evil Democrats don't stop letting rapists into the country.

I'm expecting to see teleprompter Trump to make an appearance tonight and for the press to mostly ignore the content of it and tell us how presidential he sounded. I am hoping PBS repeats their performance from after his televised oval office address where they more or less fact checked him the second he went off air and told everyone he was misleading and spreading falsehoods.

A friend of mine suggested that it would be worth showing in a Mystery Science Theater format, with a trio of commentators pointing out the lies from the bottom of the screen in real time, and perhaps throwing popcorn.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to bear to watch it.

He won't declare the state of emergency, but he'll threaten to. He'll torture logic to try to blame that on the Democrats being unwilling to compromise (effectively defined as: give him exactly what he wants). A big keyword will be "unification," but "unification" will effectively mean "do things my way."

The one cool thing is to remember that Pelosi will be sitting behind him. I think she'll be largely on good behavior, e.g. not undercutting each individual bogus claim with facial expressions. But I think her being there might unnerve him a bit. I expect to see him trying to look back at her, to see how she's reacting. If that turns out to be true, that could be the one fun thing about watching it.

He's hard to listen to when he reads off a teleprompter. Hard to listen to at any time, actually, but especially then.

Last edited:
Wow that is a pretty damning story. Well with friends like these the American Hegemony doesn't really need enemies.

The best thing about Saudi Arabia has been watching all the liberals suddenly become critics of our policy toward the Kingdom now that Trump is in office, apparently unaware that Trump's policy is just a continuation of US policy that has been unchanged for decades.

Indeed, Trump's administration is at least more honest about the nature of the relationship. Rather than the slick PR of the Obama Administration, Trump's media surrogates were quite open that the US alliance with KSA was more important than justice for Khashoggi.

One can only hope that liberals can manage to recall their outrage about Saudi human rights abuses when a Democrat next occupies the White House.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to bear to watch it.

Frankly, I can't understand why Pelosi is allowing him to have the speech on the House floor. If I were her I would have said something like "this President has proved he uses every opportunity to lie to the American people blah blah blah so as long as I am Speaker he will not be using the House to give his State of the Union speech, as we will not be helping him lie to the American people."

Frankly, I can't understand why Pelosi is allowing him to have the speech on the House floor. If I were her I would have said something like "this President has proved he uses every opportunity to lie to the American people blah blah blah so as long as I am Speaker he will not be using the House to give his State of the Union speech, as we will not be helping him lie to the American people."

Yeah, so (given that she has) maybe the move is to shake her head at each lie. It could work a little like Tim's MST3K idea.

He will be visibly under her. One thing I hope she does convey through body language is that he's there at her allowance, that she is running this overall event (at which one activity happens to be the President being allowed to speak).

Here's one I'm mulling. Would he be ballsy enough to begin "The state of our union is imperiled" (rather than the usual "strong")? I mean, it's not a Trumpian kind of word, so he probably couldn't sell it. But in substance I expect that to be his message.

Last edited:
I think its notable that this is all before the social media dawn (apocalypse). We have a whole generation of future politicians coming up who have a permanent record of every stupid action ever taken. We are still in search of that ground where forgiveness of stupidity and retribution for said stupidity is to be found.

I used to think this was going to be an interesting facet of the future, but I'm convinced now most people won't care really. Short attention spans and less interest than before. Trump showed that well enough.

Yeah, so (given that she has) maybe the move is to shake her head at each lie. It could work a little like Tim's MST3K idea.

I stole it.

But now I'm wondering just how quickly someone could make it and post it to YouTube.

Anyone want to be famous?

It would need a animatronic toilet or porta-pottee that says "This guy's more full of **** than i am!"

Just want to add a clarification about Megyn Kelly, not that it matters much. But this is, for once, something I can speak about where I may have an informed perspective. I worked on that show for almost a year, from before it went on air in late Sept 2017 until August 2018.

Megyn Kelly Today took over the 9am time slot of an extremely popular hour of the Today show, but the format for MKT was almost the polar opposite. Her sober and introspective news-topical chat segments supplanted a exuberant and silly morning romp revolving around pop culture. It was a difficult fit, but NBC News was invested $$$$ into her. Ratings were horrible at first, but she really hit her stride with her coverage of #MeToo. Which led directly, exactly 8 weeks after she went live, to NBC firing Matt Lauer - the personality who had nearly single-handedly kept the Today show where it was in the ratings, and where it was in the finances. Matt basically kept NBC news solvent, from what I've read. Matt's popularity was an insurance policy against financial distress - but with him gone, the Megyn Kelly hour's costs became a huge sink that couldn't be ignored. Nobody wanted to site through the live show, they had to resort to audience giveaways to get people into the seats.

During the Olympics in February 2018 the 10 o'clock hour was also aired from the same studio with a live audience. They didn't have any trouble filling seats at that point. The executives wanted to keep producing the 10 o'clock from 6A with the live audience instead of the closed studio at street level where they normally were, but it wasn't going to happen logistically or financially. Too bad, since it worked *really* well. Say what you will about Kathie Lee, but she's a first-rate entertainer and that live audience every morning set her on fire.

After the Olympics it was back to normal programming, but at least the giveaways were enough incentive to get live people into the audience. The MKT show was on a sort of autopilot, but most people could tell that it was just a matter of time before they would have to shake things up somehow. NBC made a big bet on Megyn Kelly, and it was already clear by Spring 2018 that the bet wasn't going to pay off.

Megyn Kelly had had other gaffes before, but the black-face comment was - in my personal opinion - a convenient way for NBC to try to resurrect something of the 9 o'clock hour. The blackface comment wouldn't have gotten her dumped during her coverage of #MeToo, nor would it have gotten her dumped in the first couple of months. But with that hour of the show dragging down the ratings of the popular 10 o'clock Hoda & Kathie Lee hour, it was the right reason at the right time (if not past time) to cut her off.

All of this is happening against a larger background of shrinking budgets, shrinking revenue, Comcast corporate belt-tightening (i.e.widespread labor restructuring and cuts). I wouldn't read too much into the Exec decision to cut her for the comment. If they had wanted to keep her on, they would have.

I was never in the loop on any decision-making on that show, so I am only speaking as someone who worked in the building, on that one show specifically, but would hear (and read) things that were rumored to have been said by the people that mattered. I may be wrong about much of this, since I had no specific knowledge of the show beyond what was required for my particular duties.

Ok, back to the Parade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom