Coronavirus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way over on the right, deaths per million population, were at 11th, had been up to 9th IIRC, until a couple south american countries passed us. Well get back to 10th very soon when we pass UK.

We are #110 in that category, but I wouldn't say it is what matters. If enough people have the virus, future deaths may increase dramatically. A few months ago the feeling in the US was that the total deaths wouldn't go over 150.000, and they are 200.000 already.

Btw, while technically the US is 11nth currently in deaths/million, you should note that two of the countries above you are microstates, with populations only numbering a few thousand people (Andorra and San Marino).

Last edited:
We are #110 in that category, but I wouldn't say it is what matters. If enough people have the virus, future deaths may increase dramatically. A few months ago the feeling in the US was that the total deaths wouldn't go over 150.000, and they are 200.000 already.

Btw, while technically the US is 11nth currently in deaths/million, you should note that two of the countries above you are microstates, with populations only numbering a few thousand people (Andorra and San Marino).

That's one good thing about that other list...it leaves out the microstates.

Official numbers out today.

NZ GDP dropped 12.2%.

Long-term forecasts deficit out to 15 years. Long term forecasts probably not that good but yeah next 4 years not gonna be fun.

If enough people have the virus, future deaths may increase dramatically. A few months ago the feeling in the US was that the total deaths wouldn't go over 150.000, and they are 200.000 already.
If most of the Americans had worn the masks in the public places like what New York governor Andrew Cuomo has suggested since May 2020, the total U.S. Covid deaths should be around only 135,000 by now.

If the beaches stayed close for several weeks longer, more Floridians would have been saved.

Last edited:
Official numbers out today.

NZ GDP dropped 12.2%.

Long-term forecasts deficit out to 15 years. Long term forecasts probably not that good but yeah next 4 years not gonna be fun.

I think we should look at unemployment numbers rather than GDP as this goes on. GDP can be gamed too easily and does not measure real economic activity well.

I think we should look at unemployment numbers rather than GDP as this goes on. GDP can be gamed too easily and does not measure real economic activity well.
The total U.S. unemployment reached nearly 40 millions at the highest peak. If some of those jobs can offer the work at home options, the entire situation maybe more suitable for the lower income groups.

Some jobs like the restaurant workers must work inside the commercial properties, however if the customers can follow curbside pickup procedures, the safety and the economy can at least be partially fulfilled.

Google turns this up as the first result.

Amazing how well Africans are doing, I wonder if recent emigrants show a similar rate. I've heard African Americans are getting hit along with Brazil which has a large population of people with African ancestry. Maybe Africans already have herd immunity from more recent covids while people who left the continent centuries ago dont have as much protection.

Amazing how well Africans are doing, I wonder if recent emigrants show a similar rate. I've heard African Americans are getting hit along with Brazil which has a large population of people with African ancestry. Maybe Africans already have herd immunity from more recent covids while people who left the continent centuries ago dont have as much protection.
The herd immunity level of the African Americans reached 68% in the New York City areas. It still heavily depend on where there have lived and their blood types.

@Berzerker, it could be any number of things off the top of my head.

First, you have to test to find cases. Poor countries probably don’t have the testing capacity, and it’s fair to say most African countries are very poor.

Second, as a poor continent how much mobility does the average African have? If many of them can’t leave their village or city, they might be less likely to come into contact with someone who has it.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head so I can’t say definitively that economics is the sole predictor here; India is a pretty poor place and they have many cases. Maybe there is something biological, but then what would explain the high rate of African-Americans? Too many mysteries to solve!

If a population is poor enough they won't have as many elderly people.

Good point! Younger people tend to be more asymptomatic so there’s that too.
Also the younger people tend to go outside more especially the beach areas during the hot summer.

We still need the old wise generations, some of them have had plenty of experience living through the Great Depression of 1929.

If a population is poor enough they won't have as many elderly people.

Africa is easily explained.
1. Poor lack of testing.
2. Younger population,larger families.
3. Limited mobility. Probably not as limited as we assume.
4. Less tourism hotspots.
5. Less international travel.

USA#1!!!!
India is catching up the daily cases really rapid recently, there's a high chance USA will drop back to #2 before Trump's re-election bid readies.

A lot of the "value of stimulus package" figures out there include the value of guarantees and back stops which don't actually mostly need to be paid. Might be the case here.
I'd rather Dr. Fauci makes some decisions for me and my society since he's the expert and I'm not in this profession, if he suggests the local and federal governments to pass certain bills and measures, then I'm for them -
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

India at any rate has four times the population of the US, and is considerably less organized.
That said, it would take unprecedented increases in deaths in India, to go from its current 80K deaths to something above the 200K deaths of the US, in little over a month. (or did you just mean #1 in cases of people having the virus, but not having died due to it? Imo that isn't much of a metric).

We still need the old wise generations, some of them have had plenty of experience living through the Great Depression of 1929.
Is this in response to my post? :confused:

Did I advocate the culling of the aged at any point, ever? Uh, no.

And the youngest people in the labor force at the start of the 1929 stock market crash would be about 110 years old today. I doubt you’ll find many left to glean this wisdom from.

I expect to be equally vexed by the next reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom