Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
Its sad to read this, as Delta variant is sweeping through parts of the US
The price in lives is going to be so very high.

The surreal lives of Arkansas nurses fighting Covid-19 inside the hospital and denial on the outside
"It's extremely difficult to watch so many people die, and then have people tell you on Facebook or in Walmart that you're a liar," Sunny said. Sometimes that would come from the loved ones of the patients she was taking care of.
"We had people accuse us of giving their loved one something else so that they would die and we could report it as Covid. We heard it more than once that we were fudging the numbers, or we were killing people on purpose to make Covid look like it was worse than it was, or to make it look real when it wasn't," she said.

"My own dad -- who I love, and is a great person -- I had to show him, like, no, this is real," she said. He was slowly convinced by "watching what it did to me personally -- getting phone calls from me during work where I'm just broken down crying ... There was so much death."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/22/us/arkansas-covid-nurse-vaccine/index.html

This is where a good market can price these people out of their stupidity; insanely high insurance rates for people who refuse the vaccines.

Insurance is about pooling risk, and when you have dolts who think you can fit a microchip in a needle, it’s clear they’re in an extremely high-risk group.

That or compulsory vaccinations. If it causes autism in the anti-vaccination movement, would anybody notice?

This is where a good market can price these people out of their stupidity; insanely high insurance rates for people who refuse the vaccines.

Insurance is about pooling risk, and when you have dolts who think you can fit a microchip in a needle, it’s clear they’re in an extremely high-risk group.

That or compulsory vaccinations. If it causes autism in the anti-vaccination movement, would anybody notice?
This was what I was wondering about.

Couldn't insurance companies refuse to pay out if one refused a vaccination.

I'm guessing a lot weasel put via "pre existing conditions" or if some fails due diligence or some crap.

I dont think I want to wait 2 months for a 2nd shot, I've been putting this off long enough trying to gather data and see how the situation played out. I'm okay with the Pfizer shot so far, but problems dont always show up right away.

its been about 60 hours now and the arm pain is finally subsiding

otoh, I dont mind wearing a mask while shopping and might keep doing it until we see some kind of herd immunity and a drop in new infections.

This story keeps happening. I see one of these every few weeks on Twitter, and I'm not even seeking it out.

Anyway, I'm Australian. Our vaccine situation is screwed because of our lazy government. The two choices we have are

Pfizer vaccine ... with a massive waiting line, so I might get my first dose of it if I waited for it, by the end of the year. But they've pushed the schedule back multiple times already

OR

AZ vaccine. The government ordered millions of this, because there is a production facility in Australia owned by a former major chief of staff for a government minister. Then it turns out there are 1 in a million blood clotting deaths, so they scaremongered about that, and said no one under 50 should get it. Then nobody under 60. Then they said anybody over 18 can get it if they provide informed consent. But this is after all these dire warnings and individual coverage of everybody who gets the blood clots.

So after all that, I still got the AZ vaccine and so did most of my family. But there are piles of supply, that nobody is using. They are still dragging their feet over importing others, they still haven't bothered to seriously try and get more Pfizer (and there are reports they were offered enough Pfizer to do everybody, but passed) or to get other vaccines. So NSW where our State Government sat on its hands too long, will now probably be in lockdown til the end of the year, or maybe even longer.

Last edited:
The blood clot issue is definitely a part of having the public informed in a wrong way. That should have either not been pushed, or with more information for the context.

I'm flying today to see my GF for our 1st anniversary. Unlike the last 2 flights, this time I directly got the boarding pass online after checking in. Means nobody will check my vaccination/test/recovery certificate. Because... I don't know. They really should.

The blood clot issue is definitely a part of having the public informed in a wrong way. That should have either not been pushed, or with more information for the context.

I'm flying today to see my GF for our 1st anniversary. Unlike the last 2 flights, this time I directly got the boarding pass online after checking in. Means nobody will check my vaccination/test/recovery certificate. Because... I don't know. They really should.

Somewhere high up there is aktionismus to the wider public with certificates this and that... and then you get that long chain of execution and enforcing with feeble links everywhere.

One of the reasons why industry automates and mechanises almost everything possible in the car industry is that it almost eliminates the human factor from quality-reliability risks. Also when it is more expensive in purely financial cost considerations (without the risk considerations of products out of spec from recall cost, reputation loss, etc).
With processes in non-human systems you have as remaining human factor the inspections and controls on those systems, but here statistics from mass data collection during production are like a super-layer to assure the specs of the components and assembly.

It is like that desinfection cleaner example of @Josu.
Give that cleaning to people who have to satisfy their bosses or voters with showing off actions, and there is more guarantee on smoke than content.
Upgrade those escalators, rolling stairs & floors, etc with UV desinfectance when they rotate under the walking surface back to the start of the stairs (no safety risks humans) and you control a systemic level, a systemic percentage of virus killing (and less environmental load from chemical desinfectants).

Humans are in general unfit for 100.0000 % securing tasks.
We like too much improvising and creativity as personal touch within a system that does not chain us.

Upgrade those escalators, rolling stairs & floors, etc with UV desinfectance when they rotate under the walking surface back to the start of the stairs (no safety risks humans) and you control a systemic level, a systemic percentage of virus killing (and less environmental load from chemical desinfectants).
Or they could acknowledge that cleaning surfaces is just theater, and concentrate on airflow and density.

Or they could acknowledge that cleaning surfaces is just theater, and concentrate on airflow and density.

Whereby noted that controlling airflows in spaces is for standard suppliers still at an amateuristic level, is very difficult.
What you need there is really advanced modellings with very high computing power with as input 3D measurements by the suppliers of the space needing air treatment.
Everything related to hydrodynamics and aerodynamics is a computing headache. That's why those windtunnels and water tanks are still so important.

But it is also exactly where real science resources can be focussed, because human intuition and experience fail bitterly in practical aerodynamics unless it is totally a repeat order and situation (whereby this is for production halls never the case unless you close all opening to outside the building, or put big airlocks in between,to eliminate windpressure effects that differ all the time with wind direction and wind pressure.
A supplier of air treatment systems should not base its decisions on rough experience. But they do... and work with the tools they know, fitting or not.
(my experience witnessing the practical results of air treatment system investments in metal industry shop floors of some 20 plants that it is also expensive because most fail to do what was suggested-promised)
Human intuition of "experienced" companies, big or small, craftsmen or engineers with glossy powerpoints... it was a poor base for reliable investments, for fair results meeting HSE semands even when knowingly over-investing to get the "bloody nuisance" from the agenda.

100 people connected to the Olympic$ have been infected with the coronavirus, some Japanese nationals working inside the games areas, some foreign athletes, foreign media correspondents, and support staff. I thought they were all supposed to be vaccinated?

We went from “Olympics to celebrate humanity’s triumph over the coronavirus” to “safety and peace of mind” to “we have an obligation to the world; opening (the games) has true value in overcoming the coronavirus.”

Not my words—those are the Prime Minister’s.

100 people connected to the Olympic$ have been infected with the coronavirus, some Japanese nationals working inside the games areas, some foreign athletes, foreign media correspondents, and support staff. I thought they were all supposed to be vaccinated?

We went from “Olympics to celebrate humanity’s triumph over the coronavirus” to “safety and peace of mind” to “we have an obligation to the world; opening (the games) has true value in overcoming the coronavirus.”

Not my words—those are the Prime Minister’s.
I think holding the olympics in these conditions is madness. I am generally into the rule of law, but when contracts signed in a different age so overtly go against democratic will there has to be something wrong with the system.

We may be returning to the revolving-door system of Prime Ministers if the polls keep moving the direction they’re headed. Abe was the longest-serving PM ever at over 8 years, but in this century we’ve still had: Obuchi, Mori, Koizumi, Abe (first time!), Fukuda, Aso, Hatoyama, Kan, Noda, Abe again, and now Suga. Koizumi and Abe together make up about two-thirds of that time. :lol:

How the Delta variant achieves its ultrafast spread

According to current estimates, the Delta variant could be more than twice as transmissible as the original strain of SARS-CoV-2. Researchers might now know why Delta has been so successful: people infected with it produce far more virus than do those infected with the original version of SARS-CoV-2, making it very easy to spread.

In a preprint posted 12 July, the researchers report that virus was first detectable in people with the Delta variant four days after exposure,compared with an average of six days among people with the original strain, suggesting that Delta replicates much faster. Individuals infected with Delta also had viral loads up to 1,260 times higher than those in people infected with the original strain.
Original paper (not peer reviewed yet)

Spoiler Some graphs :

Summary of the epidemiology and early detection of the Delta SARS-CoV-2 variant in Guangdong. (A) Time series of 167 laboratory-confirmed infections originated from the first index case on May 21. Daily numbers of new infections shown in red and samples with high-quality sequences (coverage>95%) are shown in blue. (B) Estimate the time frame between the exposure to the first RT-PCR positive in quarantined subjects. The best-fitting distributions of the exposure to RT-qPCR positive interval for the infections caused by the Delta variant (n=34) and the 19A/19B strains (n=29). Lines represent the best-fitting distributions of the interval. Bars represent the cumulative number of the interval (days). (C) Ct values of the Delta variant infections (n=62) and previous 19A/19B strains infections (n=63) in quarantined subjects when screen test first turn to be positive. Dots represent Ct value distribution tested by RT-PCR in ORF1ab gene (left) and N gene(right). Box plots indicate the median and interquartile range (IQR); the whiskers represent the maximum and minimum values. (D) Schematic of the relation between the viral growth rate and the relative viral loads on the day viruses were first detected (Day 0). The viral load of 19A/19B strains and the Delta variant infections on Day 0 were calculated. The horizontal dashed line in purple represents the detection threshold of RT-PCR testing; the dashed line in red represents the lower limit above which infectious viruses could be potentially isolated.

(continued from earlier thread)
Putin's press-secretary said Russia will be "gradually fulfilling" obligations for delivery, because vaccination of Russian citizens is a first priority.
Who would have known in advance that we may suddenly require vaccine for ourselves, in the midst of global pandemics??
On Russia's part it is at least bad faith to sign a contract which it was already announcing it could not fulfil and demand that its customers not engage any other suppliers. That as well as the middlemen scheme detailed in the article I posted and in earlier posts.

On this side of this bargain of death the entire government should be expelled from office for not preventing tens of thousands of avoidable deaths (and hundreds of thousands of people who get infected and survive but still have long-term sequels, and/or have lost family members) just in order to fulfil a strategy of international alignment, patently telling its population that even the very existence of its alleged citizens is secondary to their ambitions and dreams of power.

On Russia's part it is at least bad faith to sign a contract which it was already announcing it could not fulfil and demand that its customers not engage any other suppliers.
I'm not sure this was the case, tbh.
That Russia announced it could not fulfill the contract with Argentine, and after that both sides happily signed it. Sounds strange to me.

The issue has got Peskov attention (therefore, Putin's as well), so there will be a new delivery soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom