Coronavirus 12: Don't Abandon Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like natural immunity from previous variants doesn't work well against Omicron.
But good news is that currently available vaccines can be used without modification and are still effective against hospitalization and death.

Neither natural immunity nor the vaccines do sufficiently well against the contagiousness of Omicron. We have evolved a strain that's resistant to the immunity we've already generated, just like the antivaxxed predicted. Of course, the same strain was possible in societies with 'natural immunity' and the vaccinated didn't suffer Delta nearly as bad as the unvaccinated. So, AFAICT, the antivax rhetoric didn't buy any progress against their threat (a future penetrative strain) but did allow people to suffer from Delta more than necessary.

I will point out that we weren't able to handle a simple step-change in contagiousness. If Omicron had been the original strain, the entire globe would be crying under the strain in ways we just cannot imagine.

This is still potentially our last pandemic on 'easy mode'.

Neither natural immunity nor the vaccines do sufficiently well against the contagiousness of Omicron. We have evolved a strain that's resistant to the immunity we've already generated, just like the antivaxxed predicted. Of course, the same strain was possible in societies with 'natural immunity' and the vaccinated didn't suffer Delta nearly as bad as the unvaccinated. So, AFAICT, the antivax rhetoric didn't buy any progress against their threat (a future penetrative strain) but did allow people to suffer from Delta more than necessary.

I will point out that we weren't able to handle a simple step-change in contagiousness. If Omicron had been the original strain, the entire globe would be crying under the strain in ways we just cannot imagine.

This is still potentially our last pandemic on 'easy mode'.
Do you think future pandemics are going to be worse?

Do you think future pandemics are going to be worse?

I think they could be. I want to re-emphasize that regardless of the Wuhan lab, Osama bin Laden could have make covid-19 on purpose if he had his resources today. I think that we've shown that we cannot handle a single step-change in infectivity, virulence, or initial biodistribution without global catastrophe.

This is a quick version of the thesis. There are extended interviews I'd recommend.

20220122_122121.jpg

Damn I caught a coronavirus

90% of this post is a 'bravo' to the above.

10% of this post is to point out (again) how bonkers India is in the data.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/india/

The Delta wave plus their current 50% at 'fully vaccinated' just makes everything super interesting. Omicron is now hitting, so we'll see if their ~98.5% survival rate continues or if it de-correlates with intensely faster spread.

Has anything close to a random sample been taken of people and their respective immunities/vaccination status? As much as we’re seeing an increase in positive cases with omicron, we’re also not seeing the people that don’t get sick.

mortality rates for people in England and Wales

for 0-64 where covid was the cause of death as opposed to a contributing factor only about 3,500 people died, >64 the number was 13,000+ and the average age was over 81

so about 17k people died from covid

I think we wants to point out that there are more people who probably died due to a combination of illnesses.
But that was anyways what your post was based on (right), so not sure what Zelig's getting at :think:.

Dismissing comorbidities is as misleading as including things like car wrecks in the number of deaths. Besides that, I do not measure coronavirus damage by the numbers of deaths alone: there are also long-term effects on seemingly many, and even if one fully recovers after x time it is still not something I want.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can always just add more logos until no one notices.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-01-booster-shots-omicron-cdc.html

well thats great, I'm 5 months out and they recommend the booster for me

but I do have a question

The papers echo previous research—including studies in Germany, South Africa and the U.K.—indicating available vaccines are less effective against omicron than earlier versions of the coronavirus, but also that boosters doses rev up virus-fighting antibodies to increase the chance of avoiding symptomatic infection.

does symptomatic infection do a more thorough job of teaching the immune system to respond to related bugs in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom