Coronavirus. The n(in)th sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be more logical to give it to the people who invented the mRNA and viral vector platforms, which made quick "plug and play" development of covid vaccines possible.
Or that too :) But they didn't....

It might still happen.
Although as pointed out, the platforms themselves deserve the recognition at first.
Good point, but still.... Now would have been good as well.

A new study estimates that more than 140,000 children in the U.S. have lost a parent or a grandparent caregiver to COVID-19.

"This means that for every four COVID-19 deaths, one child was left behind without a mother, father and/or a grandparent who provided for that child's home needs and nurture — needs such as love, security and daily care," says Susan Hillis, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and lead author of the new study.

The study, which was published Thursday in the journal Pediatrics, estimated the number of losses from April 1, 2020, through the end of June 2021 at 140,000. And that number has risen in the past three months: Hillis estimates it is around 175,000 today.

Does anybody else find it strange that the 2021 Nobel medicine price didn't go to the people who made COVID vaccines?
Not really. The awarding body generally tends to wait 20-30 years before awarding most prizes – it's a fairly standard period perceived to be needed to properly adjudicate what was what.

Crisper cas9 the other year being awarded just eight years after the breakthrough discovery was a record-speed exception.

Historically lead-times were sometimes faster – but if the mRna-vaccine was to be immediately awarded like this, it would be competing for fastest-Nobel-Prize with Roentgen's 1901 X-ray prize.

have any studies been done comparing people who got covid followed by the vaccine with people who got the vaccine followed by a booster?

I heard covid and 1 shot produced a robust response. A better response than produced by the vaccine and a booster?

I would think a better response is the result of covid preparing the body for future infections better than the vaccine

Bill Maher is into nutrition and eating right and he noticed from looking at photos from decades ago how people were thinner and he lamented how covid goes after the obese. Now thats largely a result of our government subsidies to people poisoning the food supply turning a nation of relatively healthy and thin people into a cancer stricken fat camp. Hey, fat is bad for you. Replace it with high fructose corn syrup and pour it down children's throats. Meanwhile let us wage a war on drugs.

The thing is, even if people who only have natural immunity have more protection than people who only got vaccinated, getting vaccinated after recovering from Covid still increases your level of immunity.

The study I saw said people who had covid got a robust immune response from 1 shot but not the 2nd. Looking at the anti-bodies following a booster for people who had covid is actually measuring the success of the immune system built by covid, not the booster. They didn't need the 1 shot.

I don't think I should have to wear eyeglasses to drive. I have natural eyesight.

If you can see better than people wearing glasses why would you need glasses too?

It's not an argument about mandatory vaccinations, it's an argument about how stupid people sound when they're blathering about "natural immunity" in this context.

Natural immunity in this context is stupid blathering and the best you could do was come up with an illogical analogy? Then why do numerous studies from Israel show natural immunity induced by a prior covid infection is better than the vaccine? They're comparing 'vaccines', one was introduced naturally thru the respiratory system and the other thru an injection. The natural vaccine works better.

What context?

Apparently natural immunity doesn't exist because he needs glasses to drive

This does lead to some funny incentives. The only restrictions are on the symptomatic, so if I’m vaccinated and have access to a supply of SARS-CoV-2, it’s in my best interest to be regularly dosing myself with SARS-CoV-2 in order to avoid my immunity dropping enough to ever develop symptoms.

I got my 2nd shot almost 2 months ago, if I get covid now is the best time. By spring I'll be looking at a booster if I dont get covid before then, but I'd still rather have the protection created by covid itself. The key is getting it 'safely', a vaccination shortly before a covid infection is about as safe as I can expect.

Not really. The awarding body generally tends to wait 20-30 years before awarding most prizes – it's a fairly standard period perceived to be needed to properly adjudicate what was what.

Crisper cas9 the other year being awarded just eight years after the breakthrough discovery was a record-speed exception.

Historically lead-times were sometimes faster – but if the mRna-vaccine was to be immediately awarded like this, it would be competing for fastest-Nobel-Prize with Roentgen's 1901 X-ray prize.
Well, I am glad that during the world-shattering pandemic some things are running as usual. Its not like we had to change nearly everything else. Some maintained traditions in these harsh times are a joy to look at.

have any studies been done comparing people who got covid followed by the vaccine with people who got the vaccine followed by a booster?

I heard covid and 1 shot produced a robust response. A better response than produced by the vaccine and a booster?

I would think a better response is the result of covid preparing the body for future infections better than the vaccine

I think there is something about it out there, but I'm not sure. I'd not be surprised either.
The main point is not getting Covid though. You might as well argue that getting it twice will even give you a better antibody response, but this defeats the point: The goal is not antibodies, the goal is not getting sick.

The goal is not antibodies, the goal is not getting sick.
That defeats the purpose of "herd immunisation" that we had form the beginning. Vaccines or not :undecide:

Although, objectively, you probably don't want to get this unpredictable thing.

Who cares about the Nobel Prize? I’m awarding the Amadeus Prize for Scientific, Cultural, and Overall Excellence in Medicine to Pfizer and Moderna for their mRNA vaccines.

The prize for Excellence in Forum Moderation is given to @Birdjaguar for his fair actions and cleaning up unpleasant spam by a bad actor.

The prize for Excellence in Colonization is given to @Zkribbler for migrating to the Philippines and always having some interesting goings-on, even if his mail-in ballots arrive weeks after the recall election has already been decided.

Eh, that’s all I got for now. Bear in mind the prize comes with no cash award, no physical award, and no ceremony. But wouldn’t you rather have the recognition of the average citizen than some stuffy ivory tower Swedes? I would!

Bill Maher is into nutrition and eating right and he noticed from looking at photos from decades ago how people were thinner and he lamented how covid goes after the obese. Now thats largely a result of our government subsidies to people poisoning the food supply turning a nation of relatively healthy and thin people into a cancer stricken fat camp. Hey, fat is bad for you. Replace it with high fructose corn syrup and pour it down children's throats. Meanwhile let us wage a war on drugs.
Fast food and supersizing by McDonald's and the rest of the industry can take the bow for fat America. HFC and soft drinks may be part of the problem, but it is our addiction to fast food in all its forms three times a day that is killing us.

Thus continuing the trend of advocating for something you don't dare put yourself through. Bravo.

I'm not worried about getting covid, I got vaccinated recently. If I do get it I'll see the glass half full, I'm better prepared for it now and getting covid will leave me even better prepared for the future. But I'm not gonna run out and get covid on purpose if you think thats what I advocated. Now what about this trend?

I'll get a better picture of how my demographic does 6-12 months after the Pfizer shots, the early evidence from Israel is not good and boosters are needed for some people. If you knew you were going to get covid within the next few years would you prefer having an immune system that already saw covid or the vaccine?

I think there is something about it out there, but I'm not sure. I'd not be surprised either. The main point is not getting Covid though. You might as well argue that getting it twice will even give you a better antibody response, but this defeats the point: The goal is not antibodies, the goal is not getting sick.

I dont know if I can depend on not getting sick, delta proved itself too contagious even for vaccinated people so herd immunity wasn't looking realistic, thats when I opted for the vaccine.

Fast food and supersizing by McDonald's and the rest of the industry can take the bow for fat America. HFC and soft drinks may be part of the problem, but it is our addiction to fast food in all its forms three times a day that is killing us.

I'll have a double cheeseburger, double fries, and a big gulp

I got my 2nd shot almost 2 months ago, if I get covid now is the best time. By spring I'll be looking at a booster if I dont get covid before then, but I'd still rather have the protection created by covid itself. The key is getting it 'safely', a vaccination shortly before a covid infection is about as safe as I can expect.
Wow, you really meant it when you said you didn't understand the science behind this.

I don't know if I disagree. Fighting off covid while antibodies are highest might be the best way of defending long-term against variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom