Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Europe Spain n and Greece probably don't have that option heavily reliant on tourism so probably can't afford to bubble for 18 months/two years and were heavily in debt.

What the governments of southern Europe have done has not saver their economy. Instead during the wave after wave of lockdowns not even the internal tourism and associated services can do business. It would have been better, economically, to accept the hit to international tourism and make do with the reduced internal one.

Silence, @innonimatu is going ballistic again

I'm already resigned to seeing things being run by idiots. Meaning more of the same.

We're in 1915 in the parallel I'm making with WW1 in Europe. Promises that the pandemic would over by christmas, excuse me by the summer, have been shown false. The attrition goes on. Now it's the promise of the vaccine breakthrough. If/when that too fails (and I do think it will) revolution will start brewing. The governments are trapped within their mistakes and obsessions, totally unwilling to change strategy. Two more years of this and it'll be 1917 everywhere in Europe.

What the governments of southern Europe have done has not saver their economy. Instead during the wave after wave of lockdowns not even the internal tourism and associated services can do business. It would have been better, economically, to accept the hit to international tourism and make do with the reduced internal one.

I'm already resigned to seeing things being run by idiots. Meaning more of the same.

We're in 1915 in the parallel I'm making with WW1 in Europe. Promises that the pandemic would over by christmas, excuse me by the summer, have been shown false. The attrition goes on. Now it's the promise of the vaccine breakthrough. If/when that too fails (and I do think it will) revolution will start brewing. The governments are trapped within their mistakes and obsessions, totally unwilling to change strategy. Two more years of this and it'll be 1917 everywhere in Europe.

Greece is more reliant on tourism than NZ is has vastly higher debt levels.

Reality Greece locking down and then closing border would require international aid to pay for it.

NZ meme.
IMG-248ba5976c891b5053e731dcb21ab08d-V.jpg

Supermarket chain did a knife giveaway and ran out.

In that case all people working and living in the coastal-beach tourism-hospitality sector should get vaccins with priority.

LOL.
In Spain, only about 2% of people has received vaccine since vaccination started in december, I can not figure out how all these people you mention would be able to receive vaccination for March

LOL.
In Spain, only about 2% of people has received vaccine since vaccination started in december, I can not figure out how all these people you mention would be able to receive vaccination for March

Well... in that case it would be very unwise to open the floodgates for tourism !
Though you still could start with the islands

Here in NL we "achieved" so far 2.5%... our government got a lot of flak for that slow vaccinating... but meanwhile we do not get enough vaccins in time and they can blame others.

Global case numbers have been dropping for the past month. This looks promising. We have the same number of average cases as back in October 2020.

Meanwhile in Australia:
- Australia has bought up some novavax vaccines. We seem to be set on vaccines.
- PM Morrison chastises government MP for promoting COVID-19 conspiracy theories and anti-vaxxer theories.
- Concerns over aerosol transmission are rising, with two groups of people in hotel quarantine catching UK variant of COVID-19 from each other despite having no contact whatsoever.
- Aussie Open still going ahead, but calls to cancel it are growing.

- Concerns over aerosol transmission are rising, with two groups of people in hotel quarantine catching UK variant of COVID-19 from each other despite having no contact whatsoever.

Is it the same hotel, and is the hotel air-conditioned?

Greece is more reliant on tourism than NZ is has vastly higher debt levels.

Reality Greece locking down and then closing border would require international aid to pay for it.

Far more income is lost due to the lockdown in services than could be made up for with tourism - let alone tourism of the type during covid. Actually the stupid decision to open tourism for a while last year was what infected the country, and tourism got locked after a month anyway.
Covid tourism is not workable, nor economically viable.

Far more income is lost due to the lockdown in services than could be made up for with tourism - let alone tourism of the type during covid. Actually the stupid decision to open tourism for a while last year was what infected the country, and tourism got locked after a month anyway.
Covid tourism is not workable, nor economically viable.

Yeah no good options all bad.

Yeah no good options all bad.

But trying to open for tourism was indeed the far worse one. And I'm saying that from country that did it even worse than Greece, and got it even worse as an inevitable result. Of course the PM here is also a strong believer in the magical antiviral properties of schools...

BMJ: Social murder, they wrote—elected, unaccountable, and unrepentant

I have not read it in detail yet, but the author was on TV, and pretty much called for BoJo to be charged at the ICC. The British Medical Journal (BMJ) is one of the most respected scientific publications in the world.

After two million deaths, we must have redress for mishandling the pandemic

Murder is an emotive word. In law, it requires premeditation. Death must be deemed to be unlawful. How could “murder” apply to failures of a pandemic response? Perhaps it can’t, and never will, but it is worth considering. When politicians and experts say that they are willing to allow tens of thousands of premature deaths for the sake of population immunity or in the hope of propping up the economy, is that not premeditated and reckless indifference to human life? If policy failures lead to recurrent and mistimed lockdowns, who is responsible for the resulting non-covid excess deaths? When politicians wilfully neglect scientific advice, international and historical experience, and their own alarming statistics and modelling because to act goes against their political strategy or ideology, is that lawful? Is inaction, action? How big an omission is not acting immediately after the World Health Organization declared a public health emergency of international concern on 30 January 2020?

At the very least, covid-19 might be classified as “social murder,” as recently explained by two professors of criminology. The philosopher Friedrich Engels coined the phrase when describing the political and social power held by the ruling elite over the working classes in 19th century England. His argument was that the conditions created by privileged classes inevitably led to premature and “unnatural” death among the poorest classes. In The Road to Wigan Pier, George Orwell echoed these themes in describing the life and living conditions of working class people in England’s industrial north. Today, “social murder” may describe the lack of political attention to social determinants and inequities that exacerbate the pandemic. Michael Marmot argues that as we emerge from covid-19 we must build back fairer.​

First time I have seen Engels and Orwell referenced in the biomedical literature.

Last edited:
I suspect it was, but reports claim they couldn't identify COVID-19 in the vents, so it remains a mystery.

They've decided it was probably surface transfer but can't be sure.

The ridiculous clowns here are apparently going to force a 2-day lockdown (wtf does that make sense? 2 days?) in the country's two largest cities, with a curfew preventing movement past 18.00 in the afternoon....... Thessalonike has the colossal number of... 150 new cases.

This government is disgusting.

The ridiculous clowns here are apparently going to force a 2-day lockdown (wtf does that make sense? 2 days?) in the country's two largest cities, with a curfew preventing movement past 18.00 in the afternoon....... Thessalonike has the colossal number of... 150 new cases.

This government is disgusting.
What good could a 2 day lockdown do? 2 weeks is probably too short, 2 months is a likely number.

Israeli scientists developed a drug called Covid-CD24 against the Covid cytokine rush. You inhale it once a day for 3-5 days. Phase 1 trial was positive.

'Promising Israeli drug against Covid-19'
Israeli scientists have developed a drug for the treatment of Covid-19. The drug, called Exo-CD24, helps prevent a so-called cytokine rush. This is an overreaction of the immune system that is partly responsible for the high mortality rate among corona patients.
In a phase 1 trial with 30 people, moderately to severely ill from the virus, almost everyone responded positively to the new drug, according to Israeli media. 29 of them were allowed to leave the hospital after three to five days. "A big breakthrough," said Nadir Arber, who built the protein CD24 with his team at the Ichilov Medical Center in Tel Aviv.
Arber added that the new preparation should be inhaled once a day for several minutes to quell the immune system directly in the lungs and quell the life-threatening cytokine rush. Treatment should be continued for five days. Before CD24 can be marketed, an extensive further testing program is required. (ANP)

https://www.trouw.nl/binnenland/ast...erland-stelt-vaccineren-zondag-uit~bbdfa5c08/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom