1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DaNES II: When the Stars Fall

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Dachs, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Cannae

Cannae Philosophy of Poverty

Dachs, I am sorry I haven't been active in this nes, because of major events in RL but I will promise to be more active from now on. And I still have interest in leading the Gothic Horde. And if they have been made a npc I would like to claim them again.

2. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Angel of Verdun

OOC: Maybe you could start by reading the update. The Goths just finished despoiling a good section of Kimmeria, and are all set to go get the rest.

3. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

I'm not even sure if the Goths have a conception of trade, beyond "you make stuff, we loot it." :mischief:

4. spryllino

spryllino Deity

Basileus Platon wonders what inspired such cowardice in the hearts of our good friends to the East. We fail to see why Baktria does not offer peace to Kaspareia and defend their new-found vassals properly.

Furthermore, Platon reminds Nikandros that he is still welcome to make suggestions on how we could have peace.

5. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

To: The Esteemed Residents of the Oikoumene

A Council of the Ierophantai of the Pentarchy of Sophism has been announced. It will be held at Antioch, with the Basileus Andronikos Nikator presiding. This council shall define the essential dogmas of Sophism, and decide what to do with this Gassanid movement which has just come into existence, and their place in the Oikoumene. The Ierophantai - of Antiocheia on the Orontes, Athenai, Alexandreia, Baktra, and Panormos are all invited and necessary for this council, but leitores of lesser ranking in the Oikoumene as invited as well; including the leaders of the Gassanid movement.

6. spryllino

spryllino Deity

Leitores from Areian lands shall be permitted to attend, provided that a non-Sophist observer, selected by Basileus Platon, may also attend and supervise the conference.

The Ierophantos of Baktria will be granted a safe-conduct through our territory, which is obligatory.

7. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Kleitos, Axios of Panormos, does not recognize the hierarchial nomenclature set forth by the Perseid Empire. Nonetheless, we shall send a delegation. While we respect the holiness of the Pentarchy, the independence of the five sees has been respected since time immemorial. As such, we adamantly protest enforcing dogmas over the variant forms of worship of Hagia Sophia that have proliferated across the world, as we accept the diversity of apparitions and forms in which the Parthenos makes herself known. It has always been thus, since the very beginning of our faith, and we shall make this position known at the council. Perhaps what these Gassanids have to say is valid, and the decision to condemn what might be revelation as heresy, we consider preemptive.

Edit: We're also mistrustful of a secular basileus basilion presiding over a Sophist gathering, particularly given the religious history of the Perseids and the Sophist revolts.

8. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

Tch internet killed my post

Anyway; treaty around the points of giving you the forts and strongholds bordering Sousiane and that strip of terrain, 1000 talents and giving the Armenians a bit off the top.

Counter offer?

9. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

Can I get the faction info for Mazsakata, or could someone point me to where it was posted? I can't find it.

10. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

11. spryllino

spryllino Deity

To Seleukids
    From Areia

Not nearly good enough. The territorial changes we proposed will stand firm. The Armenians will receive their 500 talents. We could possibly decrease your payment to us.

12. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

My point remains, those territorial changes are vast in comparison to the power you have, you cannot even afford to maintain the army you keep. Any such treaty that sticks to those points is doomed to failure.

If you cannot negotiate on the land, then we shall continue for yet another campaigning season.

13. spryllino

spryllino Deity

It is the Armenians who want the largest amount of land. While we stand firm behind them and we support their demands, we suggest you contact them by PM if you wish to discuss that.

14. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

Either you speak for both of you or I will only make peace with one of you, decide.

15. spryllino

spryllino Deity

We assume that it's war then. If it's otherwise, Armenia, and you'd rather compromise, please post on the thread.

16. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

Good. Burn Selukia dude.

17. Adrogans

Adrogans Quiet Laughter...

On the Defensive

The scouts sat and watched from a safe distance as the Iberians continued for day after day of doing…nothing. The Walhians had all expected them to press their advantage and instead the Iberians were sitting tight and avoiding conflict.

The scouts whispered together discussing the activity, or really the lack thereof in the last few days from the Iberians. They could only sit and discuss estimates of the numbers and type of warriors the Iberians had.

Finally they drew lots to see who would go back and report to the war council. The unlucky one nodded to his fellows and then set about loading his horse for the trip. Needless to say this was not what the war council would want to hear, but they needed to hear it.

In the Front

The scout approached the large camp openly so the sentries could challenge him and he could respond in kind. The scout and sentries met and sat around telling tales to each other for a short while. Once the scout had warmed by the fire and had his horse taken care of he headed to the center on the camp.

The walk through the camp was depressing as always for the scout. If the damn Iberians and their stupid war hadn’t come to Walhia he would probably be hunting in the woods near his home to bring in some game for himself and furs to trade. All around him he saw the groups of men huddled by fires who would all be doing something similar had they not been drawn up into this.

As one got closer to the center of the camp the denizens increasingly kept their areas more and more organized and clean. It was amazing to the scout how different over just a matter of yards. He really preferred the woods all of these people and make shift lean-tos and tents and eventually a decent hall built from timber felled just a bit to the south. This of course was where the council met.

He took a deep breath steadying his nerves, and wondered to himself why he was always so fearful of reporting when he could stare down a charging beast without issue, but discussing the recent reports from all the scouts with the war council frightened him beyond reason.

Perhaps he thought it was because if they didn’t like him, or even his message they could well just execute him. Though to be fair the current Trohtîn and his family had never been prone to such an outburst.

Finally after delaying the inevitable for long enough he stepped up to the entrance and announced himself to the guard. The guard simply looked him over for weapons and then knocked on the door several times in a distinct pattern, it opened. Behind the door sat one of the largest men the scout had ever seen. He was always impressed no matter how many times he saw Ewald. The heir of Walhia simply waved him in and then followed him to the council table.

Heated Discussions

“… there is no reason to allow them to live like this. They should have to drop their old gods as we have been trying to get them to do…” A strong fist hit the table with a reverberating crack which could almost be felt through the air. The Trohtîn had apparently had enough of this argument.

“We have discussed that more than we have ever wanted to. First off, is this really the damn time to discuss it again!” Everyone in the room looked as if their father had just slapped after talking back. The Trohtîn then continued in a quieter voice. “And besides does it really matter what the damn natives think? Will it affect your life at all? No? Good then lets focus on real issues.”

The room then erupted into frenzied conversation regarding plans and decisions on how to deal with the Iberians. The scout stood in a corner of the room just as happy that he had gone unnoted by the lords in the room, every moment more he could avoid drawing attention to himself was an improvement.

Ewald didn’t say much during the discussion the scout saw. But his eyes were intense and he could hear the wheels turning in his mind as to what should be done as he put all the reports and ideas being bandied about. Finally he apparently decided that it was time to make the scout the center of attention, because he stood up glanced his way and then announced to the room at large, “Lords, we have a report from the scouts sent to watch the main Iberian force.” The room quickly stilled and quieted.

The scout stood straighter and shook his mind free from the paralysis it had been in since he arrived in the camp. Then he reported about the relative lack of action by the Iberians. Some supplies and recruits had filtered in, but not much else was being done as far as the scouts could tell.

The scout bowed and then looked at the Trohtîn who made a small gesture letting him know it was safe to excuse himself and get back to the forests that were his home. The scout knew how to make an escape, he left quickly and quietly.

Ewald followed him almost as quietly. He stopped the scout after he had left the room. “What is your name?” Ewald asked him.
    “Erwin my lord.”

“Erwin I have a task I need you to do for me…”

Unlikely Assistance

The scout had been redirected to watch the south he was told it was to make sure that the Trohtîn and the council would be aware if the Aorsi decided to enter the fray. And why wouldn’t they, thought Erwin. I mean this situation is tailor made for them. They just fought off both the other nations on the peninsula. Erwin tried to imagine the devastation if they were to attack Walhia. He shuddered in the dark.

After a few days he noticed birds taking flight a ways off in the distance. It would be a day and half or so he estimated to get over there and see what disturbed that large a cloud of birds. Whatever it was he hoped it wasn’t a sign the gods had deserted Walhia entirely.

Erwin never would remember how he made it in only a day. All he could remember was being constantly worried that the Aorsi had decided to invade Walhia as well. He searched the site as well as he could and discovered the obvious traces of a large force of cavalry had passé through, though based on their direction it would seem they were going to attack southern Iberia.

He followed the trail for several days to make sure he was right before he turned his horse after a well deserved rest and headed north to the main camp once more, Lord Ewald would be ecstatic to hear this news.

Decisions, Decisions

Erwin arrived once more at the main camp and as always felt anxiety; anxiety for being surrounded by so many people, anxiety from not being in the woods, and anxiety over how the Trohtîn and council would take this news. He could only imagine it to be good news, but some lords would take it in a negative light.

He weaved his way through the camp avoiding all the fires he could and in that way avoiding the possibility of giving away the report before he got to the council. He knew if he let this out of the bag before the council knew, he would be up the creek. Of course if he did let it slip maybe they would let him leave and go back to his home and his hunts. He immediately squashed that idea as one of his more stupid thoughts as of late.

He saw the same guard out front from the last time and he was just as talkative as ever. The same sequence of knocks was delivered to the door and it opened to show a servant of Lord Ewald. Somehow Erwin wasn’t surprised.

He was led to a small room off from the main meeting hall and was told to wait until he was called forth to report. He sat and drank from the wineskin which had been offered him. It was so much better than the usual swill he could afford. He filled his own wineskin with what was left. He also ate some of the meat and bread that had been dropped off with the wineskin. He packed the remainder away, never knew when he might need it.

Eventually Lord Ewald came and told the Erwin to follow him to the room. This set Erwin’s mind alight with questions. Why was Lord Erwin so interested in him? Was he this way with all those who came with reports? Or was he playing some game that made him keep tabs on one lowly scout? Erwin stopped thinking himself in circles; his mind just wasn’t that twisty. The wine probably hadn’t helped either; it had been a good size wineskin.

He entered the room and this time all conversation stopped immediately. Gods damn it all why were they so attentive this time? Did other scouts report before him? He looked over the council trying to compose himself quickly, and what he saw there set his heart crashing almost to the floor. They all looked worried. Then he stopped on the Trohtîn and his heir. They weren’t worried at all. In fact…

“Scout, tell the council what you have seen to send you returning to us from the south.” The Trohtîn commanded. Erwin noted several faces tightened up at the words: from the south.

“My Trohtîn,” Erwin saluted as was proper. “I was watching over the river and noted a large flock of birds take flight in the distance. When I went to investigate I saw the tracks of a large number of horses heading west.” The council was silent, most seemed stunned and worried, but the Trohtîn and his heir both sat there and seemed to relax a bit.

“Continue.” The Trohtîn commanded once more.

“I followed the tracks to make sure of where they were headed and it was definitely to Iberia my Trohtîn.” He finished and bowed once more. He tried to back out of the room and was almost through the door when the questions started.

18. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Dachs, I need an extension. My orders are not even remotely complete and are dependent on you coming on IRC and I'm not sure if you are going to come on today, so I need some extra time to figure this stuff out. :(

19. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

This I second.

20. Yui108

Yui108 Deity

You have until tomorrow...