1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Thanks a lot! I'll input these points and try to balance them from there. Thanks! :p

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

There's this thing called university which only lets itself be ignored for so long :mischief:

The +25% science output has to come from somewhere, I guess :lol:

It's already been answered, but you could also simply have looked into the city name manager file ;)

3. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

Make Zoroastrianism act as Shia Islam in the Middle Ages. Problem solved.

4. The Turk

The Turk Deity

I can't believe I didn't think about that before! :lol:
    Ya, why not in 600 AD start, remove Zoroastrianism and instead add in Shi'ite Islam or Orthodox Christianity (split of 1054)! Problem solved!

5. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

I don't think Shia Islam is neccessary. There just aren't enough civs that are regularly muslim, and not every sect and division can or needs to be represented. Orthodox Christianity has a better case for it imo, the game is already eurocentric so you don't really loose anything by making it more so. Seeing as one of the main projects going on right now is making the Byzantines playable it might make sense to add Orthodoxy as an appropriate religion for them.

6. Leoreth

And I don't know where those ideas like "replace X with Y in the 600 AD scenario" come from. They're different scenarios, not different games, so I think this is the wrong approach.

7. The Turk

The Turk Deity

So you can't do that then? Is that what your saying?

8. Sir Tornado

Sir Tornado Chieftain

BTW (don't know if this is a known bug or not) when France gains a city in congress (before discovery of Rifling), it comes with Musketeers. It should be regular Musketmen.

9. Sandmonster1989

Sandmonster1989 Knights Templar

Lol. I was unaware the "musketeer" unit still existed.

Leoreth, I'm wondering if you had enacted any changes to the United Nations?

And have fun with "university" :goodjob:

10. Leoreth

It's possible, but it would be complicated and it's simply not desired in my opinion. The basic principles of the game should be the same regardless of scenario.

Thanks, will be fixed.

It's still in the game, and it seems there are still artifacts of it in the code ;)

No, not at all. They usually come quite late to matter in most games anyway.

I don't know what these quotation marks are supposed to mean :mischief:

11. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

I just got around to playing the Italians for the first time, and I have to say, I was impressed. :D It was clever of you to have the Romans respawn as (seemingly) an entirely different civ. I have a small quibble, though. The Bersagliere seems awfully... underpowered. Don't get me wrong, the extra point of movement is great, but that's really all they have going. Perhaps a bonus against some other type of unit? Or allowing them to move through jungle?

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

It isn't entirely different, it sort of has geographical ties

13. Leoreth

Well, their point is to make up for Italy's lack of horses and cavalry, both historically and ingame, so I don't know which other ability to give them. Maybe the commando promotion instead of an extra movement point?

14. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

Well, I think you should keep the extra movement no matter what you do with it. It's probably fine the way it is. :lol: Upon investigation though, I think it's supposed to be spelled Bersaglieri, not Bersagliere.

15. jammerculture

jammerculture Prince

I had this big, well thought out post typed up and it got lost in uploading so here goes again, this time in point form!

-Founding religions as a strategy exists in civ and should be represented in rfc

-India fits the bill, semi-historically and by game design

_we don't want all the civs to play the same

-however, nothing to stop us from changing uhv conditions that keep the same flavor

-Few ideas to replace 5 religion condition:

-Found three religions (Bud, Hind, Zor) and spread your founded religions to x % of land (Asia, Persia)
    This keeps the race to monarchy which is the only thing good about the current UHV and is slightly more historical. So it would be a tech race, production UHV

-Acquire X gold from shrine income by x
    Same effect as first but different implementation

-I had a third but don't remember it. Doh! Something about building religious wonders or building.

Anyway, definitely something lost in translation but this will have to do lol

16. Leoreth

Usually, the unit names are in singular (axeman, swordsman etc.), therefore I kept the Italian singular as well.

On India: I've once read a great suggestion that instead of founding five religions, they were required a certain amount of temples, say, 20. So the player is left with the choice of founding few religions and many cities or vice versa.

17. Opera

Opera Deity

Doesn't India's stability suffer from having non-state religions?

I kinda like the idea of a great number of temples, although it shifts the focus on spreading religion rather than founding it. Still it sounds more interesting than founding 5 religions.

Tangential but, would you mind trying to give us an interface for UHV progress? In the case of the above idea, it would be nice to know at a glance at how many temples you are.

18. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

For that example, you can simply look at the statistics section of the info screen. You'll see there the number of temples you have built (one entry for each religion).

19. Leoreth

A new UP could help with the stability ;)

I think spreading the religions you found further adds to the uniqueness of India's UHV, because otherwise it's really only a veiled tech race (and we got plenty of that).

I've also thought about a UHV progress interface, and in the case of India's temples it's no problem because that'd need a counter variable anyway (when it's "build x temples by" - "own x temples in" is another matter). But there are UHV conditions that are not checked regularly, but only when their deadline is met, and most of them for good reason because the algorithm to determine them isn't always very fast. So doing that every turn to show the current state in the victory screen produces quite an additional overhead.
    Given that, I think it's counterintuitive to display some goals and others not, so probably everything has to stay as is.

20. Opera

Opera Deity

Ah yeah, forgot about that.

But why not, a new UP and a new UHV with religion-spreading as a focus of sorts. Sounds way more interesting than the current UHVs. However, the "no anarchy" UP they got is really neat and will be missed :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.