1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

Konstantinoupolos has been fine ever since I downloaded the mod in December, so I guess it's been fixed for a while now.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Knowing the year would've been helpful, but my guess is: Turks spawned and founded Sogut -> Byzantines conquer Sogut -> next Turkish turn their flip is triggered, bringing Sogut back. And the Italians seem to go all Fourth Crusade :D

By the way, the Italians are still too strong for my tastes in the Middle Ages / Renaissance. Maybe including an extra early LH with low UnitBuildProb might be due - I'm already waiting for Da Capo to release his Cavour LH so I can replace Vittorio as well.

Consts.py -> tCapitals, I'd also take care to have the new city be within their core, though.

The first Italian spawn can be set in Consts.py -> tRebirth.

He's not playing the SVN version I suppose, and doesn't control the Byzantines. The bug is still there, however, I'm now through most of my pressure so I might find time to fix it the next days. Can't promise anything though.

3. The Turk

The Turk Deity

PLEASE have Konya (Iconium) as the Turkish spawn site, I don't think I can stand to see another Turkish game starting in Sogot. :ack:

Also thats exactly what I did, but it did not change anything!! You try it, and see for yourself!! :mad:
    Spoiler :
    Mad at the Machine, not you :cool:

4. Leoreth

Rage against the Machine? :lol:

You're sure your modified files are really used? I can't think of any reason why spawns stay in the same place with modified tCapitals entries.

On the Turkish spawn, I currently intend them to spawn without any settlers at all. Byzantium's existence should make sure they flip at least one city even if they don't manage to capture Constantinople. Depending on how many cities they flip in an average game, additional settlers can still be granted after the flip has happened (together with their workers). This is already in the code, I just haven't tested how this balances out.

5. rogue131

rogue131 Byzantine Historian

This is more of a strategy question, sort of finding myself on the road to a conquest victory. I've knocked out France, Russia, Italy, and vassal'd Arabia, Portugal and the Dutch as the Germans. But now I'm seeing shaky stability and I know "collapsing is coming." I'm just wondering, is it possible to win a conquest victory in RFC? :confused:

6. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Yes, yes it is

7. rogue131

I guess so, it just seems that as you conquer the "foreign area" damages your expansion and I guess at the same time the diplo-hits sway you. My civics and economy are five stars. I'm running Autocracy, Totalitarianism, State Property, Secularism and Occupation. As Germany Western Europe, except for the British Isles, is under my command, and half of Russia belongs to me. They collapsed into "civil war," which a Panzer and Infantry Blitzkrieg (you like that ;-) ) carved deep, past Stalingrad. Now I'm seeing Shaky develop. Portugal submitted to me after I knocked them off the Iberian pen, and the Dutch I believe did it out of complete fear. As for Arabia, it was weird, but what the hell. lol. I wasn't even threatening them, the Turks were though.

My fear is, as I expand, wouldn't I eventually collapse into civil war?

8. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

As Germany the main problem is actually not collapsing (conquering isn't too hard). The only game where I managed to be alright stability-wise, I had the same civics as you. Are your vassals stable ? it's bad for your stability to have unstable vassals (and neighbors).

9. rogue131

You know what I'm not entirely sure on that one? I know teh Dutch are stable, Arabia may be shaky and I'm not sure about Portugal.

10. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

Are you having trade relations with unstable countries (like england or whoever) ?

11. rogue131

Well I do have a strong relationship with England and her vassalized U.S., they're stable. I'd have to go into the game to check on Japan and Turkey.

12. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Ok, been playing this mod a few times. A few suggestions:

Italy needs to be nerfed. Its power is utterly ahistorical.

The HRE (Germany) SERIOUSLY needs nerfing. In my games they end up taking everything from France and The Netherlands to Faustindorf (Kiev). Again highly ahistorical, because even if the HRE controlled that much land, it wouldn't be under centralized usage because the HRE wasn't really a country so much as a VERY loose confederation.

13. Leoreth

I understand that Italy's UP is overpowered, but why is it ahistorical?

14. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

I think he means the strength of the civ itself is unhistorical.

15. rogue131

I just think Italy shows up too quickly. I mean when the spawn was planned, was it based around the actual unification of Italy or....?

16. jammerculture

jammerculture Prince

I have found that playing civ with a small amount of imagination adds to the game immensely. In this post as well as the prologue to your story you talk about how the game treats civs as unified states even though they were actually confederations, however I think it is important to keep in mind that what the game is portraying is civilizations, not states. So in your example you talk about the HRE being a confederation not a state, however, using the common definition, ie a group with similar language, culture, shared traditions etc, it is most definitely a common civilization. (for more on the status of the HRE, read back in the thread. There has been much discussion and future plans for the HRE/Germany)

So we have a game where we are given control of a cultural group, and then are tasked with creating a state for that civ. RFC mechanics have given us the opportunity to portray that civ in a historical context but, and this is important, also allows es the ability to play out alt-historic scenarios. What Leoreth has tried to do, in part, with this mod is tweak the mechanics to help the probability of a historic scenario from playing out but more importantly, to enhance the balancing and gameplay aspects of the original mod. The choice is ours whether or not we choose to play it out historically or not, but more importantly, imo, the game allows for enough variety to keep the game fresh.

17. Moshe Dayan

Moshe Dayan Da General

Best building ever.

18. Leoreth

To answer the actual question, no, Italy isn't supposed to spawn at the unification of Italy (which would be 1861). I just thought it would be bad to leave out the impact the Italian civilization had on culture, economics and sciences of the Renaissance.

On the embassy issue: embassies are currently still screwed in the SVN version, yes.

19. rogue131

That's pretty much what I figured you did, makes sense. Italy just vassalizes and collapses far too quickly though, but hey, this is just Civ 4, not rocket science.

Just wondering really. By the way, I know you've probably covered this a million times, but I am far too lazy to scan this whole thread. Does the instability from switching to democracy ever stop? Oh, and more on strategy, but aside from switching to state-property or mercantilism, how can one combat influence of another nation's great depression?

I haven't had any issues with embassies yet?

20. Sandmonster1989

Sandmonster1989 Knights Templar

The instability has been corrected in the SVN version and not the official version (1.64).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.