1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Why waste efforts on fixing something that is perfectly balanced for a civ like India? The fact that the UHV is quite hard (to some) isn't a real reason to change it and so far anyone hasn't given a better one. The UHVs that give the player a choice to follow to completely different tech paths are quite rare.

Anyways building x amount of temples by y year does sound awfully easy to accomplish (and a lot like the boring UHVs in RFCE, which they are now trying to get rid of) and so does spreading religions.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Depends on the number of required temples. If it is high enough, the most common strategy to get them is still to found 4-5 religions because you usually can't have enough cities without fearing collapse.

3. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

What about 30 temples?
    # cities/#religions
    5/6
    6/5
    8/4
    10/3
    15/2

4. jammerculture

jammerculture Prince

would it be possible to make it be "x amount of culture per turn from religious buildings" which would allow more varied strategies employing wonder, monasteries and temple building?

5. The Turk

The Turk Deity

I think 30 is too much, I would rather you have 15 Buddhist and Hindu monastries/Temples. I think that would be MUCH better.

6. Sir Tornado

Sir Tornado Chieftain

Why would you need to found religions? Both Persia and China are nearby and have their own religions, just get them (especially Zoroastrianism will be easy). Sign open borders with Arabia once they spawn and get Islam as well.

The only religion that would be missing is Catholicism (Protestantism would be discovered very late anyway)

BTW Leoreth, I discovered an error in dawn of civilization text. When you play Japan in 600 AD start, you still get the DoC text saying it is 660 BC and Japanese people are getting ready to blah blah blah.

7. Sir Tornado

Sir Tornado Chieftain

Leoreth, I have always thought the AP elections sort of didn't make much sense. I think instead of just population, the votes in AP should be decided on basis of how many Church/Monastaries/Cathedrals/Great Priests you have in your cities.

Also, having ability to "sell indulgances" would be nice for AP resident and would also be very historical (possibly increase happiness in certain cities for a few turns at the expense of losing some gold?)

Also regarding HRE thing... it would be nice if you could represent the "independent states" in HRE. Would it be possible to make Frankfurt, Hamburg, Memel and Berlin (shifted into Posen's position) as unplayable OCC civs as Vassals of HRE until rise of Prussia? At that point, they would break away from HRE (with Memel and Berlin flipping to Prussia) and Frankfurt/Hamburg could form a "North German Confederation".

8. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

There's no need. The Italian city states are represented as a single civ, I see no reason why the German ones shouldn't be as well.

And I really like the idea for the temples UHV for India.

I would suggest one of their UHV's to be build x number of temples, 30 sounds about right, and one to be found maybe 3 religions to retain their former emphasis to some degree. Otherwise like someone said, they wouldn't need to found religions they could just wait for them to spread.

9. Leoreth

Yeah, that's a good point. So what if we change the UHV to:

1. Found Hinduism, Buddhism and Zoroastrianism (latter ahistorical, but not unplausible, and is more difficult than the other two).
    2. Build 30 temples by (no idea, 200 BC?).
    3. The old population goal.

On the AP: it already factors your religious buildings in, iirc. The problem with adding new resolutions is that the AI also has to be taught how to use them, and I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

10. Sandmonster1989

Sandmonster1989 Knights Templar

The first goal for India is too easy on Monarch. Maybe founding Hindu, Buddhism, Zoro, AND one Late Game religion (like Christianity). That was always the challenge, and that is what made (well, makes) it fun.

@Leoreth. What about increasing the options of some of the resolutions available? What I mean is, there is already a declare war resolution, so why not influence the game (if possible) to make THIS resolution appear more often (I usually get either open borders or end a war. Those are just lame, especially when it is the same on four times in a row, and fails all four times--which doesn't happen often, but has happened to me).

11. jammerculture

jammerculture Prince

the only reason to change india's uhv is to make it more historical. which founding any western religion does not do. Currently it provides a unique challenge that I can see being fun for certain types of players. The key to making everyone happy imo, is to find a happy medium.

Perhaps if founding the three religions is too easy then a way needs to be found to make a second uhv that accomplishing the first one makes it more difficult, so that a new challenge is created: how to balance the two. So to accomplish the first goal requires you to beeline monarchy to get before the Persian spawn, maybe the second one needs to require techs in other branches of the tree for example.

Currently, India is one of the more difficult UHV imo (one of the few I can't beat). India as one of the worlds oldest continuous civs deserves a unique and challenging gameplay. Imo, if a really good change can not be found, then it should stay the same.

also, if the date for the temple UHV was early enough then waiting and hoping for religion spread would not be possible. In my perfect civ world, India would have an early game condition based on religions (founding, spreading or Great Saint birth), a mid game condition based on culture or GP's and a late game condition based on population, economy or unity. So i would like to see either a religion founding condition OR a temple building condition that is made so founding religions is necessary, but not both.

12. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Everybody should keep in mind that we already have a 'religion spreading and temple building UHV' with China. Why get another one?

I would rather change China's last goal, since it is both trivial and boring.

13. The Turk

The Turk Deity

So what!? Different civilization, different context, different situation, I really don't think thats such a big issue that it has a similar UHV.

14. Sandmonster1989

Sandmonster1989 Knights Templar

Turk is right. With 2 completely different other UHV's, a third UHV similar to one of China's shouldn't be too bad. It will be used in different circumstances.

15. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

Just finished a diplo victory as Italy (well, essentially). I'm kinda curious. Would it be possible to code the game to allow the player to play as civs when they respawn? I think it might be kinda interesting to have a go as Egypt in the 600 AD scenario when they respawn in the 1700s.

16. Leoreth

An indirect possibility already exists - enable cheat mode and use the command to scroll through all active civs (was it ctrl+Z? I always forget that).

17. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

I'm not completely sure if you need the shifts but here is what works for me.

Shift-ctrl-z = Go back one player slot
    Shift-ctrl-x = Go foward on player slot

Note: This is with RFC:E/M not DoC it might be different.

PS: If you want to plays as one of the dead civs in 600A.D. then make them playable in the WBS otherwise when you load it will force you civ onto the lowest player slot (Egypt)

18. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

... o.o

... I'm... I'm just so happy. It's beautiful. *sheds a tear of happiness*

EDIT: Next turn

*falls onto knees and shakes fist at the heavens* TUUUUUUUUURKS!

EDIT 2: Still more turns.

._. What just happened?

19. The Turk

The Turk Deity

I'm having a bit of difficulty spawning the Germans at Aachen and the Indians in Varnasi. I thought I knew how to, but apparently I'm still a noob, so does anybody know where I can change the starting places of civilizations?

Also how do I disable the Italians from respawning until after the Renaissance?

20. jammerculture

jammerculture Prince

How is your Constantinople not a smouldering pile of rubble? Was the city ruins issue fixed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.