Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mayans are excessively strong, due to teching. They frequently have longbowmen by the conquestador event.

This solves all the Arabian problem
Because we live in the best of all possible worlds :goodjob:

Leoreth, I can't remember if I asked this or not, but is it possible for AI-controlled civs to spawn with different units than human-controlled civs?

In particular, I'm thinking that an AI-controlled Arabia could use extra help in the form of Camel Archers spawned in Iraq and Libya. However as a human player, I'd rather control my own destiny rather than have cities in Libya and Iraq be handed to me on a silver platter when I play as Arabs.

Regarding Persia:

Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example, Byzantine pretty much guarantees the collapse of Babylon and Carthage. ...
-In both starts Carthage and Babylon were alive and well. This should not be the case, however, the game has no real alternatives. It seems to be difficult to ensure that Rome takes out Carthage and Persia takes out Babylon. I look at it like this: if you are playing Rome or Persia then you are in control of their demise. If you are not and your one of the others, it would be unfair to force your collapse. Byzantine spawning in your laps will at least make sure they don't live long past then.
Yeah, game mechanics sucks... If only AIs knew how to act more in tune with history.
I think I'm right in thinking we all would prefer Persia to be the civ that cleans the region of anachronistic civs (Babylon, Egypt and Phoenician city of Sur) rather than the Byzantines.

Possible solutions?
- Does the Persian AI currently have a total war mentality against the Babylonians, Egyptians and Greeks? Having that might be able to help the AI better replicate Persia's aggressive expansion.
- Persians conquered all of Asia Minor prior to invading Babylon. Would it be possible to make it easier for Persians to get a city Sardes within the first couple of turns of their spawn? This could either be done by giving Persians a settler on Sardes or maybe there could be an independent city there that Persians get soldiers spawned next to.
- After chariots are buffed, maybe Leoreth can play around with number of extra immortals and chariots the Persian AI spawns with? There might be a magic number where Persians can defeat an AI Babylonians at least half the number of times (this means human player playing smart can still ensure their survival).

I think I found a not so good bug. After finishing the Internet, I got 3 techs, and then in the next 10 turns got two more that I did not research. I think its related to the internet's completion but I would have no idea how to tell. I certainly didn't do anything to get them.

I think I found a not so good bug. After finishing the Internet, I got 3 techs, and then in the next 10 turns got two more that I did not research. I think its related to the internet's completion but I would have no idea how to tell. I certainly didn't do anything to get them.
I can't remember the wonder's exact effect. I think it has something to do with you'll get whatever technology has already been researched by at least two other civilizations.

Sometimes I can't seem to start any games in 3000BC. Not sure what really happened.

Python exception

maybe this'll help

P.S. check out Rome, also look at the workers in China!

Attachments

• AutoSave_Medieval Age Turn 164.CivBeyondSwordSave
    291.3 KB · Views: 54
  • civ error.jpg
    civ error.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 134
I think the problem is more that if the AI discards a spot because it thinks it unprofitable, even the highest settler map value can't get it to settle there. This especially true if everything is full of jungles but the AI lacks the tech to chop them.

I'd like to get the AI to settle there as well, but granting it a free jungle clearence seems to be too much in my eyes, so I'll try first if I can trick the AI into settling there now that the reason is located.

The problem with jungle is that you can't found cities on it in RFC. In order to do so, you must clear the jungle first and then found the city and this is definetly something that the AI can't do. The AI doesn't discard crappy spots, just look at Arguim and Sefadu!:lol:

Hello!
First of all, thanks for your great mod... I really enjoy it!
I played a couple games this weekend, both with the Spanish (Monarch difficult)
The 600 year scenario was quite unbalanced: the Byzantines discoveres Printing Press around 1200 and never collapsed, even if they loss Constantinople and Athens.
Italy was a mayor superpower, conquered France, Aztecs, etc.
The 3000 year scenario was more balanced, but once again we had a strong Italy who conquered the Byzantine Empire.
Here is a list of strange issues:
1) the IA still build the Ancient Wonders in 1600!! It's really strange to see the Hanging Gardens built in 1600.
2) Italy in the 3000BC scenario had the capital in Carthago area, and called the capital 'Ravena'... quite strange. Anyway, I think Italy is a bit overpower.
3) Byzantium Empire in the 600AD scenario was overpower, but not in 3000BC.
4) Mongols didn't conquer anything... they are quite pacifist in fact! ;-)
On the positive sides:
1) I really like your mod! :)
2) China was a strong power, which is nice to see.
3) Colonization is very interesting.

I hope this feedback will help you.

Since colonisation of the East Indies has been mentioned recently, may I suggest spawning independent cities in the Malay Archipelago (East Indies)? The region was filled with dense populations of city-building trader types long before European colonisation, so it would make much more sense historically. Here are some detailed city suggestions I made way back in 2004 for standard RFC: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=191290

You forgot to move the stone in the 600 AD start, the one underneath Tisfun :mischief:

Also I agree 100% with lumpthing's suggestions! Great Work! :goodjob:

Oh and there is also the bigger problem that non of the Arabian flips are taking place! Egypt, Jerusalem and San'a don't flip!

EDIT: They are flipping, but they flip like 5 turns into the game :/

Also remember that Catholicism should be in Jerusalem and the Temple of Soloman, which IMO should be renamed as "The Wailing Wall" or "The Western Wall"

When I conquer a city Islam does not spread instantly to the city, it just deletes the previous religion. And Tisfun should have Zoroastrianism in place already.

And the Central Asian cities should all have Buddhism (not Hinduism!). Also I would decrease the barb numbers in Central Asia, to make sure that those cities are destroyed instantly when the game starts, which seems to be whats happening often.

actually turk, Central Asian cities should have Zoroastrianism and Buddhism. But if one religion is supposed to represented than it should be Zoroastrianism because its historical significance to the region.

There are too many vassals in the late game because the HUGE civs have even large civs as vassals. After say, 1950, vassals shouldn't be allowed.

The parliamentary-ism bug I noted earlier was a fresh install of 1.7 playing as the French.

On the issue of balance:

1) Overpowered Germany- Poland! Institute Poland as a minor civ! That would prevent Russia and Germany from gobbling up all that Eastern European land without a fight. Periodic respawns of Poland provided certain conditions are met (even before nationalism) would ensure that the area would be a thorn in the sides of those two land-hungry imperialists (Russia and Germany). Like in real life the area should be tough to hold onto; border flips should be common.
2) Overpowered Byzantines- Major nerf for Catapharacts. Suggestions have already been made by others on this subject. Arabia should actually pose a threat to the Byzantines; in my games usually Justinian manages to subjugate all of the Arabian peninsula. Also, Justinian shouldn't just settler spam. In my last game he had four COMPLETELY UNGUARDED cities founded in Morocco. Yes, four cities over like six or seven tiles (excluding mountains). Not one had a soldier for more than a thousand years because Justinian was too busy settling everything from the Maghreb to Merv. Once I saw a Byzantine empire stretching strait from North Africa to Pagan (and never below shaky to boot).
3) Italy- With the overpowered Byzantines to the east and a hungry Germany to the north, Italy gets devoured a lot more than it did in the previous version. Which is good, provided this doesn't mean that Germany and the Byzantines don't use Rome's gold and production to support giga-empires as described above. But if Italy DOES survive, it becomes a technological superpower (albeit not a political or military one; it usually vassalizes). This needs to be fixed. It's kind of annoying to spawn as America with a nuclearized Italy.

four games: two Aztec starts on 600ad, two on 3000 b.c.

fourth and fifth screen from aztec 3000bc start

6,7,8 from second 3000bc start This one has the most realistic Byzantine empire. notice babylon

In four games we have no Byzantines in two of them, although it is obvious that they were strong in one. We have an independant kiev in two, I would think a second "Polish" civ would further irritate the Russian/German border, and only have a powerful Italy once

North Africa is incredibly bare

I expected to get more powerful Byzantine empires.

Attachments

• Aztec1.jpg
    Aztec1.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Aztec2.jpg
    Aztec2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Aztec2byz.jpg
    Aztec2byz.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 92
  • aztec3000world.jpg
    aztec3000world.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 84
  • aztec3000.jpg
    aztec3000.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 62
  • Aztec3000exc.jpg
    Aztec3000exc.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Aztec3000exc2.jpg
    Aztec3000exc2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Aztec3000bworld.jpg
    Aztec3000bworld.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 82
I know this may be common knowledge, but I still would like to know: What is this SVN you all speak of?

You forgot to move the stone in the 600 AD start, the one underneath Tisfun :mischief:
I didn't ;)

Also remember that Catholicism should be in Jerusalem and the Temple of Soloman, which IMO should be renamed as "The Wailing Wall" or "The Western Wall"
Sometimes it spreads there during Byzantine control, which I think is fine to reduce its prevalence in the Near East. Different names for different scenarios are difficult - maybe rename the building to "Temple Mount" to cover both the temple and its later ruins?

When I conquer a city Islam does not spread instantly to the city, it just deletes the previous religion. And Tisfun should have Zoroastrianism in place already.
Yeah I messed something up in the code (Islam was spread but removed immediately after). Fix will be online soon.

There are too many vassals in the late game because the HUGE civs have even large civs as vassals. After say, 1950, vassals shouldn't be allowed.
Historically, after 1950 was a high time of vassal making ;) I usually don't play until that late, could you post a screenshot so I can see the exact situation?

The parliamentary-ism bug I noted earlier was a fresh install of 1.7 playing as the French.
Damn. I'll look at it again.

I know this may be common knowledge, but I still would like to know: What is this SVN you all speak of?
It's explained in the first post of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom