Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even more updates in the SVN:
Spoiler :

# made Justinian less military inclined
# nerfed several Byzantine coefficients, most prominently research, GP rate, production, city upkeep
# reduced Byzantine likeliness to train settlers or offensive units
# changed Cataphracts to strength 9, +25% against melee
# removed Byzantine spearmen in 600 AD Africa

More feedback:
Leoreth, I can't remember if I asked this or not, but is it possible for AI-controlled civs to spawn with different units than human-controlled civs?
Yes, it is.

Possible solutions?
- Does the Persian AI currently have a total war mentality against the Babylonians, Egyptians and Greeks? Having that might be able to help the AI better replicate Persia's aggressive expansion.
I think they have.

- Persians conquered all of Asia Minor prior to invading Babylon. Would it be possible to make it easier for Persians to get a city Sardes within the first couple of turns of their spawn? This could either be done by giving Persians a settler on Sardes or maybe there could be an independent city there that Persians get soldiers spawned next to.
It's worth a thought at least.

I think I found a not so good bug. After finishing the Internet, I got 3 techs, and then in the next 10 turns got two more that I did not research. I think its related to the internet's completion but I would have no idea how to tell. I certainly didn't do anything to get them.
That's how the internet works iirc.

Sometimes I can't seem to start any games in 3000BC. Not sure what really happened.
Did the game crash immediately, or after a few turns?
My game consistently crashes. Why?
Only while playing the 3000 BC scenario?

For both of you, it's likely the Roman UP bug that crashed your games. No fix found yet, unfortunately :(

Leoreth:
Could you post a (short) list of updates to the SVN in the past month to a month and a half. I have not been playing DoC lately (or Civ), and would like to know what I've missed. :D
Well, everything that was added in the SVN while you were away is now part of 1.7, and you can see a list of its changes in the first post. There were some updates during the work on 1.71 (rebalancing), but they were all mentioned in my last few posts.

Python exception

maybe this'll help
Can't reproduce this from your savegame ...

The problem with jungle is that you can't found cities on it in RFC. In order to do so, you must clear the jungle first and then found the city and this is definetly something that the AI can't do. The AI doesn't discard crappy spots, just look at Arguim and Sefadu!:lol:
I'm not against opening up certain spots like Manila so a city can be founded there. But this can't be the problem for places like 600 AD India, where the optimal places are usually settlable but still no one founds there-

Here is a list of strange issues:
1) the IA still build the Ancient Wonders in 1600!! It's really strange to see the Hanging Gardens built in 1600.
2) Italy in the 3000BC scenario had the capital in Carthago area, and called the capital 'Ravena'... quite strange. Anyway, I think Italy is a bit overpower.
3) Byzantium Empire in the 600AD scenario was overpower, but not in 3000BC.
4) Mongols didn't conquer anything... they are quite pacifist in fact! ;-)

I hope this feedback will help you.
Definitely, thanks! :)

1. Noticed that as well, not sure what to be done about it atm.
2. Yeah, its UP will get nerfed in the future.
3. Currently balancing them :)
4. Depends. From my observation either they conquer China and then remain quite expansionist, or they fail to do that and become rather peaceful.

Since colonisation of the East Indies has been mentioned recently, may I suggest spawning independent cities in the Malay Archipelago (East Indies)? The region was filled with dense populations of city-building trader types long before European colonisation, so it would make much more sense historically. Here are some detailed city suggestions I made way back in 2004 for standard RFC: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=191290
Great work, but the problem is that if we place these cities there, the colonial civs will be even less likely to control Indochina (naval assaults are even more difficult for the AI). Personally I'd rather portray the colonial era correctly than the precolonial era.

For minor civilisations like those, it might be better to represent them as some preplaced villages/towns instead of fully fledged cities. Might even encourage some colonisation there.

Leoreth what do u think of Arabian units (2 camel archer and Longbowmen each) spawning in Libya and Persia. Arabia on the first turn can start with a settler and archer. Swordsmen should be deleted and settler either deleted or spawning in arabia and/egypt (removal is best).

and I just installed the svn and teseted it out. I think Tisfun should have more hammer rosurces (is it possible these can be removed after 1300 ad). and Persia in general should have some of their tiles worked, and more buildings added since the Tisfun was as large and prosporus as Constantinople and the Sassanids were just as powerful (almost) as Byzantine so maybe they can have one tile worked near sihraz and one near Tisfun.

Update: just tested the newest svn, looks great:). Byzantines are balanced, Arabs expand good but there are little problems. Tripolis, Samarkand and Merv are almost always destroyed. The population growth of Baghdad is great but i think it should have an iron or something to increase prod. Also the Byzantines never settle Dyracchium( or watever its called).

Overall Gread Job

Relative Size of Cities throughout History: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_urban_community_sizes#Middle_Ages

Hello Leoreth,
I've played a couple of games with the Romans.
The games went perfect (very nice new UP!) but I realized that as soon as I conquer Carthago the game always crashes the next turn...
I tried different things (leaving the Phoenicians with one city, razing the city, etc.) and always the same crush.

In the features list in the original post there's a typo:

Leoreth said:
New total wars on spawn: Rome on Greece, Persia on Babylonia and Persia

Persia declaring war on itself? :mischief:

EDIT:

Oh and what do you think of the Poland idea?

Hello Leoreth,
I've played a couple of games with the Romans.
The games went perfect (very nice new UP!) but I realized that as soon as I conquer Carthago the game always crashes the next turn...
I tried different things (leaving the Phoenicians with one city, razing the city, etc.) and always the same crush.
Oh yes it does. Do you have a save of some turns before that? Does it happen again when you reload?

And do I get you right that the new army spawns, you conquer a city with them and only in the next turn the crash happens?

By the way, how far do you get with the Roman UP? I'll definitely will make their conquest goal harder and need some guidelines to what they can achieve.

In the features list in the original post there's a typo:
Persia declaring war on itself? :mischief:

EDIT: Oh and what do you think of the Poland idea?
Yeah, it has to say Phoenicia, will be fixed.

I forgot Poland. Seriously: might be possible, especially within the context of a later HRE/Prussia split. Maybe it's better to re-evaluate the issue once we're that far.

Edit: looks like I can replace Italy's Vittorio Emmanuele soon: Da Capo will release his new Cavour LH shortly. I'm also thinking about another Renaissance leader for Italy, but other than Enrico Dandolo who's kinda lacking in quality I've no idea whom.

I just finished a German uhv on 600 ad start.
firstly i wet my self a little when rome had a crusade and captured Jerusalem.
Secondly the Arabs respawned with a random Indian city for some reason.

they capitulated the Mongols so I guess that was one of there conquests

What do you mean by Rome had a crusade? JC :p

Awesome. Though I have no explanation for the respawn Chennai ...

Anyway, I've also created a few Aztec starts and I like the new Byzantines. It's also nice to regularly see the bird-shaped Caliphate now. They lack some expansion in Northern Africa now though.

Going for some Netherlands spawns now to observe the Byzantine-Turkish dynamics.

Definitely a great improvement - now if only the Byzantines would stop being so interested in Persia... :confused: Maybe the Persians should be available as a civ at the start of the 600 AD scenario like China and Japan are. The Sassanids were still a major power in the region at the time. But then again it might prevent Arabia from expanding there like they did in real life. But I do suppose that you could make the Arabs at auto-war with Persia and code a large stack of Arab units to appear near Mespotamia.

Definitely a great improvement - now if only the Byzantines would stop being so interested in Persia... :confused: Maybe the Persians should be available as a civ at the start of the 600 AD scenario like China and Japan are. The Safavids were still a major power in the region at the time. But then again it might prevent Arabia from expanding there like they did in real life. But I do suppose that you could make the Arabs at auto-war with Persia and code a large stack of Arab units to appear near Mespotamia.
I suppose you mean the Sassanids :) I don't know if there's a value to playable Persia when they historically fell 5 turns after the game starts.

That Byzantines are so interested in Persia is because they still use Greece's war map (where I've even put more emphasis on Persia to encourage an Alexander empire). I hope to be able to fix that tomorrow, together with settler and city name maps.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16487 Caterina Sforza! :crazyeye:

I may be playing Assassin's Creed too much.
Not that bad, but she wasn't really powerful enough to deserve that kind of prominent position.

Edit: The 1500 AD situations were ... interesting. In three games we have:

1. Byzantium and Arabia dead, Ottomans controlling the Bosphorus, Latin Greece (first screen)
2. Arabia alive, Byzantium exiled to Tripolis (!), Ottomans controlling the Bosphorus, Latin Greece, Holy Roman Rome (screens 2 and 3).
3. Byzantium and Arabia dead, HRE controlling the Bosphorus, the Turks focused on the Middle East instead, and a Spanish Kingdom of Jerusalem!

Hey Leoreth,

I like how you have Tisfun flip to the Arabs, but I want to point out a few glaring issues with the Arabs:
1) The Arab civilization only really began in 632, with the death of the Prophet Muhammed, thats when they began to spread outside of their peninsula. So its only logical that the Arabs spawn date is moved then
2) Baghdad was not found until 750, so IMO Baghdad should just spawn there with a capital in 750 and have the Arabs flip it. It just makes the most sense. Or else have Tisfun be captured, and then in 750 have its name changed to Baghdad, like Edo becoming Tokyo for Japan.

Also PLEASE PLEASE put a Byzantine Sicily in play, or else it really does not make any sense. If you don't believe me, just try it out for one game, I'm sure it will be really cool :king:
Also now that you've nerfed them so much giving them one city in Sicily will not be such a bad thing; and on top of that I hope you increased their chance of building Dyrachium a city which REALLY should be built from the start of the game, or should at least be an independent city.

And lastly, the Turks REALLY need to STOP settling/conquering past Mespotamia/Baghdad! I HATE to see the Turks in Persia (the Safavids) OR (and espeically) in India (the Mughals)!!:mwaha:

Awesome those look much better now. Did you tweak the Arabs at all? I have never seen them take Constantinople.

If i get a chance to run a few test games, what would be the most helpful?

On your turkish games: uber-Germany was the most common inbalance. Italy was non existent.

…And lastly, the Turks REALLY need to STOP settling/conquering past Mespotamia/Baghdad! I HATE to see the Turks in Persia (the Safavids) OR (and espeically) in India (the Mughals)!!:mwaha:

Well clearly the ONLY way to solve this problem is to include a new Persian civ (with a conditional spawn like how Italy is to Rome right now) representing the Safavid and Kajar Dynasties

Regarding independents, what is the AI aggression level toward them? Would it be possible to create regional themed independents (aka, 4 or 5 Indy civs rather than 2)? That way you can tailor AI civ aggression toward independents on different regions beyond using just the war map.

For instance, cities that revolt in Northern Africa will mostly belong to Indy 3. Arabs and Turks have much, much higher aggression against Indy 3 than say the Germans or Malians. Maybe you could even script a few wars between Indy 3 and the Arabs/Turks.

Also can someone explain to me what the reasoning behind giving the Turk's their UP is? It seems kind of useless right now and not very distinctively Ottoman given how much ethnic tensions arose in the latter centuries of their existence.

Could Britain get Nigeria on it's stability maps? also adding the Gold Coast, Palestine, N. Borneo and Iraq would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom