1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AOS9001

AOS9001 Slightly over 9000.

A powerful Mongolia? Impossible! Though I do seem to recall mentioning of a conquerors event for whenever the Mongols reached Russia or Arabia, those events plus expanded settler map would do the trick I'd think.

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Inconceivable!

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm also considering to flip Samarkand and Merv to AI Mongolia to create closed borders with Russia and the Middle East.

4. The Turk

The Turk Deity

That would be a nice idea :)
    In general though, I would recommend having another city in Central Asia. I was thinking Kashgar would be a good idea since it was really a city at the crossroads between Persia/Middle East and China/East Asia. And you could at a silk resource right next to it, to further represent the silk road.

Also you have nerfed the Turkish spawn right? Because that really needs to be done. IMO I would get the Middle East finished first, by implementing the Persian Muslim Dynasty, before you head East, therefore you can work on further implementing the Mongol invasion of Persia, with an already preset Persia to invade. :)

5. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Is this the result of the GP renaming bug?

It happens only when the GP renaming bug actually occurs.

6. AOS9001

I can't remember if this has been brought up before, but when the Reformation hits, sometimes Protestantism goes into the cities of nations that stay Catholic, even ones running theocracy. At least, it's happened to me a few times. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

7. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Makes sense, and I don't think it's a bug

8. civ_king

The proper response is to purge the heretics.

Leorth, the Reformation is too jejune, it needs fanaticism. I propose that Catholic countries that reject the Reformation are given a choice, a) be otiose getting a -1 with Catholic civilisations and a +2 with Protestant countries or b) celebrate the Catholic Reformation and get three Jesuits

a Jesuit would be Missionary that costs six times as much also requiring both a University and a Catholic Monastery; Jesuits have special powers
    1) Spread religion, Jesuit can't move during the next turn
    2) Inquest, Jesuit purges non-Catholic religions, can't move for the next two turns and produces whipping unhappiness
    3) Found University, Jesuit is immobile for the next four turns and then makes a University (if still alive).

9. J. pride

J. pride King

There needs to be an inquisitor for the Turks too?

Or the other option would be to remove christianity from Istanbul and Anatolia on the turk spawn

10. civ_king

Why? Conquest by the Turks significantly altered relations between Orthodoxy and Catholicism

11. J. pride

J. pride King

I didn't get eat u mean

Way I'm trying to say is currently there is no way to remove Christianity from Anatolia and Rumania, regions that were more than 90% Islamic after the Turks.

12. AOS9001

I like this idea. I'm always up for more variety of options. And failing this, maybe just bring in the religious prosecutor unit for nations with theocracy... It's logical, and adds more flavor to styles of gameplay.

13. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

The regular Inquisitor works, too

/begin shameless self-advertising
    PSSST- IT'S IN MY SYNTHESIS MOD
    /end shameless self-advertising

14. AOS9001

I've never seen an inquisitor in this mod, though I have a strange feeling I've seen one in RFC before... Must be going crazy again.

15. civ_king

You sir are absolutely right, we need some way to represent the Protestant Inquisitions

EDIT: I think the Indian UB should be changed since it comes after all the victory conditions happen

16. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Prosecuting religions, like protestantism, should bring -1 relations per city against all protestant nations, like in SoI.

17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

There are three "symptoms" of errors in the current system:

1. A Python exception like that one occurs.
    2. GP are renamed to named to nonsensical strings, most often single letters
    3. Non-standard characters like umlauts, accented vowels etc. are not parsed correctly from their HTML codes.

I'll intend to fix all that by switching away from a Python-based rename method to unique unit GPs for every civilization like in SoI. It only requires some amount of work to add all those new units into the XML.

No, that's intended. Most large cities had minorities of different confessions, at least right after the Reformation.

The problem currently is only that multiple religions are only an asset, not a liability in the religion system in RFC. I don't think we need to become as detailed as civ_king in his suggestion (which would turn the Reformation into something favoring Catholicism, weirdly). But the Reformation itself should spark more initial conflicts (maybe wars between neighboring countries with different confessions?) and multiple religions need to be penalized more, with unhappiness for non-state religions like in SoI. Prosecutors need to be added as well then, of course.

18. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Isn't there instability from non-state religions?

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yes, but that's all. Nothing to worry over usually, considering the huge benefits that make up for it (opportunity for +1 happiness and +10% science, where the happiness might even cancel out the stability hit).

20. AOS9001

I see. Personally, I think a more war-torn Europe would balance things out for the rest of the world, and the Reformation is a perfect opportunity (The Wars of Religion and all). Prosecutors would be a great addition to this mod, as I've said, throw in a bit of chaos to mess with the current order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.