• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a save?

Also, any ideas on how to make the UU or UB more useful?
Thai need some way to keep up technologically or catch up later so some kind of research boost would be good.

The capital could use a river as it's on a floodplain (the production from a levee would be a good boost). They could also use a rice resource (traditional export) which would help with population (it is on a floodplain ).

please nerf the European tech rate, it's hard to drive them out when they have Rifles in 1675 and Infantry in 1832

UB: An extra +% Culture bonus. Suggest anything between +10% and +20%, like the Chinese Pavillion UB from BTS. Now that Culture is no longer an abomination, such a UB would actually help a late-spawning civ such as the Thai a lot.

UU: What is a Chang Suek? Anyway, you can make them much more effective in South Asia by allowing them to move through Jungles. Also, perhaps they could replace Cuirassiers and/or upgrade into Cavalry (like the Mongol Keshik).
culture would be good

It's a knight replacement that requires ivory and can move through Jungles

Attachments

• Naresuan AD-1898 Turn 396.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
it is on a floodplain
Meh. Most of northern China are floodplains too, but you don't see the terrain on the map. Indochina is already loaded with resources as it is. Agree about the River though.

please nerf the European tech rate
Assertively: No.

It would be absurd to expect a civ like Thailand to have tech parity with Europeans - no offense - and it would make the UHV straightforward and boring.

IMO the UHV should be achieved through diplomacy, by dragging Europeans into wars against each other through Defensive Packs (via the Thai UP), and later by exploiting Congresses (which is closely related to Defensive Packs, of course).

As for straight-up tech racing with the Europeans and beating the crap out of them, you already have both China and Japan for that purpose. Or even India/Mughals if you wish to.

TL;DR buff the Thai UP instead. Preferrably along the lines of Defensive Packs and Congresses. Currently it seems like a watered down version of the French UP.

civ_king, what scenario are you talking about with the tech rate? I've recently given the Europeans a 5% boost because in my 600 AD America starts they were almost always far from Rifling or even still researching Liberalism or similar techs.

I agree with iOnlySignIn that Thailand shouldn't be about outteching Europe. I'm still pretty sure that it's able to defeat them by diplomacy and own force (they're not that good at reinforcing their colonies after all).

Meh. Most of northern China are floodplains too, but you don't see the terrain on the map. Indochina is already loaded with resources as it is. Agree about the River though.

Assertively: No.

It would be absurd to expect a civ like Thailand to have tech parity with Europeans - no offense - and it would make the UHV straightforward and boring.

IMO the UHV should be achieved through diplomacy, by dragging Europeans into wars against each other through Defensive Packs (via the Thai UP), and later by exploiting Congresses (which is closely related to Defensive Packs, of course).

As for straight-up tech racing with the Europeans and beating the crap out of them, you already have both China and Japan for that purpose. Or even India/Mughals if you wish to.

TL;DR buff the Thai UP instead. Preferrably along the lines of Defensive Packs and Congresses. Currently it seems like a watered down version of the French UP.
k,

With little production it's kind of hard to drive out Infantry with Riflemen

If the UP got buffed making it easier to negotiate in Congresses it would be cool.

civ_king, what scenario are you talking about with the tech rate? I've recently given the Europeans a 5% boost because in my 600 AD they were almost always far from Rifling or even still researching Liberalism or similar techs.

I agree with iOnlySignIn that Thailand shouldn't be about outteching Europe. I'm still pretty sure that it's able to defeat them by diplomacy and own force (they're not that good at reinforcing their colonies after all).
600 AD was the scenario I played. Rifles in 1675 and Infantry in 1832 seem a little early since the 'pedia references the American Civil War for Riflemen and Assembly Line is turn of the 20th century

If you don't do something early to the Europeans they'll grow like crazy. Unfortunately as Thai you can't do anything to them.

I would also like to note that Ethiopia's power is that their cities can't be demanded in congresses, keep it in mind if making Thai's power to do with Congresses

haven't made it to the 20th century yet, but I'm curious; did we implement a global depression event? Be sort of interesting. . . probably not feasible though.

haven't made it to the 20th century yet, but I'm curious; did we implement a global depression event? Be sort of interesting. . . probably not feasible though.

There is already Great depression event possible if you have free market civic. And it's not that interesting as annoying ;) always coming unexpected and uninvited and in wrong time :)

Currently playing Indonesia, seeing British with Infantry in 1750... (dunno when they got assembly line, but they've had Luxury Inc. since before 1700)

England is a tech monster, they usually beeline Economics and the trading company event helps them out greatly. After adopting Free Market they usually finish any tech in 3-4 turns and only slow down after entering modern age.

Edit: So don't open border with them! Especially when you have a lot of high population cities. (yum yum)

England is a tech monster, they usually beeline Economics and the trading company event helps them out greatly. After adopting Free Market they usually finish any tech in 3-4 turns and only slow down after entering modern age.

Edit: So don't open border with them! Especially when you have a lot of high population cities. (yum yum)

It's 1892 and they are researching Stealth... (oh and global warming struck!)

Is global warming a random event or something big?

It randomly hits and turns tiles to desert... I thought it only happened after use of nuclear weapons, but the Manhattan Project hadn't been built yet.

If you don't do something early to the Europeans they'll grow like crazy. Unfortunately as Thai you can't do anything to them.

This is the same for a couple of other civs, particularly if one is trying to get Dom/Conquest/Space Victory.

I have an idea.

Leoreth, do you think you could add a Modernization event for non-Euro civs?
When it triggers on researching the correct tech, you'll take a stability hit like a Great Depression but from that point on thereafter, your civ's tech pace gains a European modifier similar to the ones that England & France have.

This could be useful to simulate the rapid rise of Japan in the 1800s, how Corea rose from being poorer and more backwards than Ethiopia in 1950 to First World living standards & modern China's ascension to superpower status.

Because currently, no game mechanic properly represents this.

Make this event available to the player but not the AIs.

Maybe 1 AI at random per game determined via a random seed.

This is the same for a couple of other civs, particularly if one is trying to get Dom/Conquest/Space Victory.

I have an idea.

Leoreth, do you think you could add a Modernization event for non-Euro civs?
When it triggers on researching the correct tech, you'll take a stability hit like a Great Depression but from that point on thereafter, your civ's tech pace gains a European modifier similar to the ones that England & France have.

This could be useful to simulate the rapid rise of Japan in the 1800s, how Corea rose from being poorer and more backwards than Ethiopia in 1950 to First World living standards & modern China's ascension to superpower status.

Because currently, no game mechanic properly represents this.

Make this event available to the player but not the AIs.

Maybe 1 AI at random per game determined via a random seed.
It should clearly be a decision called "Westernise"

It should clearly be a decision called "Westernise"

"Modernise" would be a better term.

After 7 civs enter the Industrial era, all succeeding civs that enter said era should get a stability hit for a few turns.

After 7 civs enter the Industrial era, all succeeding civs that enter said era should get a stability hit for a few turns.

civ_king is referring to the Westernization events in EUIII.

Which sort of provided the rationale for something similar in DoC.

EUIII bro
civ_king is referring to the Westernization events in EUIII.

Which sort of provided the rationale for something similar in DoC.

Yup, oh and a Christianise option too (Jesuit missions anyone?)

I personally prefer Modernise because of the possibility of China, Japan, and the Mughals or Arabia, Egypt, and Turkey being the tech leaders over Britain, France, and Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom