• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded it from the fraxis mirror. BTW I've just reinstalled civ4+bts and still having these weird memory problems with DoC and RFCEurope as well. (my game is genuine)

Yes, they're a little cheaper in the 600 AD scenario, I think because you have less trading opportunities (advanced Rome and Greece are usually alive in 600 AD, for example).

Arabia is a good idea, imo. Japan's another, they have a decent tech modifier and can take over China without fear of collapse.

So I was playing as Arabia, and doing fairly well (steam power in 1500!), but at some point my tech costs suddenly doubled (went from ~11,000 for genetics to 20,000 in just a few turns)! I think this is largely due to the fact I was expanding, and around the same time I started having stability problems. Does tech cost scale with number of cities, and how?

So I was playing as Arabia, and doing fairly well (steam power in 1500!), but at some point my tech costs suddenly doubled (went from ~11,000 for genetics to 20,000 in just a few turns)! I think this is largely due to the fact I was expanding, and around the same time I started having stability problems. Does tech cost scale with number of cities, and how?
IIRC 8%/city after 10

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but for some reason Italy never seems to spawn in any of my games as roman rebirth, and rome is never alive at the time... any reason it might not be happening?

In civilopedia there's the criterion for Italian spawn:

Italy: Only spawns if there are at least as many cities controlled by independents as by other players. (In Italy of course, at 1167 AD)

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but for some reason Italy never seems to spawn in any of my games as roman rebirth, and rome is never alive at the time... any reason it might not be happening?

And if you're looking to play as Italy then the best thing you can do in order to force a respawn is load up your 600AD start and play as Inca, then just worldbuilder all the cities in the Italian Peninsula to the Independants. Three turns later and you will be able to switch.

I'll relax their condition soon, they really don't spawn often enough.

I'll relax their condition soon, they really don't spawn often enough.
I'd also like to see their expansion UHV changed. Italy's territorial ambitions has always been to recreate the Roman Empire - Ethiopia is incidental and peripheral.

I suggest:

Control or Vassalize every Mediterranean civ/city except France in 1940.

Oh, and another thing:

As Rome, if you declare war on two European civs on the same turn (i.e. Phoenicia and Greece), you're given an army to fight each of them.

Oh, I understand. I assumed "When you declare your first war on a mediteranian civilization" meant that only the first time you declare war on ANY med civilization you get an army. I'm sorry clearly you meant the first time you declare war on each civ.

Rome's UP means you can get 4 small armies for declaring war on Greece, Phoenicia, Egypt and Persia. (Babylonia? I'm not sure, they're dead most of the time.)

I'd also like to see their expansion UHV changed. Italy's territorial ambitions has always been to recreate the Roman Empire - Ethiopia is incidental and peripheral.

I suggest:

Control or Vassalize every Mediterranean civ/city except France in 1940.

I disagree. The conquest of Ethiopia (and Greece and Libya) are according to Italian history. They are the only territories not colonized by other European nations and they were the real unique goals of Italian expansion in 19th and 20th centuries.
In addition, this UHV is achievable after the achievement of the other 2 previous UHV (with Fascism every military UHV is easier).

The only thing I suggest is to provide an Italian re-spawn around 1861, the year of Italian Unification. I think it's useful, as well as historical point of view, to balance European pattern of events in 19th and 20th century (for example, German UHV will become harder to achieve).

The only thing I suggest is to provide an Italian re-spawn around 1861, the year of Italian Unification. I think it's useful, as well as historical point of view, to balance European pattern of events in 19th and 20th century (for example, German UHV will become harder to achieve).

1861 may seem the official rebirth of Italy, but I think what Leoreth has tried to do is consolidate the cultural city-states (Venice, Florence, Papal Rome, Kingdom of Sicily, etc) of Italy into a playable civ. I don't know if that was your objective Leoreth, but it seems like it was? 1861 does seem a good rebirth, but doesn't really give Italy anytime to achieve its goals with powerful civs all around it.

Yes, it was. I pondered both options but really couldn't come up with a way to make an interesting game out of a 1861 start.

Does Italy spawn in 1861 if they didn't in 1200, due to foreign presence in the region ? My last game as France only lasted till 1829 so I couldn't witness an italy spawn after that...

I disagree. The conquest of Ethiopia (and Greece and Libya) are according to Italian history. They are the only territories not colonized by other European nations and they were the real unique goals of Italian expansion in 19th and 20th centuries.
Captain Obvious got many new fans recently. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows about the Italian conquest of Ethiopia.

The problem is, like you said, Italy is late to the colonial game. It conquered Ethiopia only because it was leftover from other Europeans. You think, that given a choice, Italy would rather have Ethiopia than say, Egypt? Think again. In this game, we play Italy from the Renaissance (not the 19th century) in an alternate history. Give me a good reason why you should go for Ethiopia if Egypt is available to you.

Same with the Germans. You think they chose Namibia because they think it's the best piece of land in Africa?

on the other hand, Captain Unnecessary and Uncalled-for Meanness is not making as many fans, at least not over here.

on the other hand, Captain Unnecessary and Uncalled-for Meanness is not making as many fans, at least not over here.
In other words, you admit that you have no opinions or ideas whatsoever about an alternate history of post-renaissance Italy? And that Italy is somehow destined for Ethiopia since the 12th century?

No surprises here.

Don't forget that every civ seems to have one non-realistic UHV condition.
And while iOnlySignIn might have worded it a bit harsh, he is right. Colonisation of Africa was one huge land-grab, and the quality of the land was second priority: the only goal was to get a colony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom