Female Only Screenings of Wonder Woman - Sexist?

My big question is why would you want to attend a single-gender only showing of a film? Not only does it open oneself to the bigotry/closed mindedness claim, but what does it actually accomplish?
The comic book subculture can be an extremely uncomfortable place for women. Women may well want to enjoy it in an environment that removes that discomfort.

Like what?

Well... having to sit at the back of the bus is a minor inconvenience really isn't it? And who cares if you can't use some water fountains if you have your own right?

No, I think it's more about a) the fact that man-woman is an actual deep difference in mankind, which has a very clear divide and a profound effect both in physiology and in behaviours (unlike race or height or whatever, which are much more about gradient) and especially b) that it's not derogatory about either.
If it were only about going in pair, then segregation/apartheid wouldn't be seen as such a big deal (after all, it always went in pair, white/black, the problem was lying in the fact that one case was clearly considered superior than another).
The motivation is different, obviously (although I guess it's not that different, is it?). As for arguments against segregation in other areas, there are two big differences: First, it isn't imposed; nobody is forcing the women to go to women-only screenings. Second, I'm not aware that anyone is claiming the screenings available to men are somehow inferior. I guess I don't see the comparison you're drawing. This still looks like a molehill to me.

The comic book subculture can be an extremely uncomfortable place for women. Women may well want to enjoy it in an environment that removes that discomfort.

A movie theater isn't beholden or even dominated by the comic book subculture. Indeed, while comic-related movies are the most powerful force in Hollywood right now, comic books sales are going down, with most analysis pointing to the wider interest of the superheroes as characters themselves outside of their comic book setting.

And past that, women in comic book culture are generally some of the more active and outspoken in the community, particularly in driving the cosplay and fanficition subsets.

"The unfairness is so low here, that it doesn't really matter. They can just drink from the other water fountain, which is nearby."

Yes, female-only screenings of Wonder Woman are remotely comparable to Jim Crow segregation. I have an idea, instead of just posting nonsense like this why don't you find the nearest black person and spit in their face? It would be more honest.

This is an extremely dangerous game to start playing. For example, some people are extremely uncomfortable around black people, gays, or women, but something tells me you would not apply this same logic to those situations.

That different standards on <something> are somehow not a double standard just because there are differences between the genders in the general sense.

Which is of course your usual strawmanning trick, because I didn't make the ridiculous logical leap this accuses me of.

Yes, female-only screenings of Wonder Woman are remotely comparable to Jim Crow segregation. I have an idea, instead of just posting nonsense like this why don't you find the nearest black person and spit in their face? It would be more honest.

It's quite worrying that you can see no reason for anyone to say something like that, even when you've read the full context of what was being asked for, other than because they despise black people and want to spit on them. No-one that blinkered should have the nerve to feel they can divine the "honest" intentions of other people.

The existence of gender inequality is nonsense?
It's amazing how fast guys flock to finally acknowledging that gender inequality exists when it's a matter of "Whaddya mean, I can't watch this particular showing of a movie about a comic book character?"

Contrast that with all their protestations of "there is no wage gap; women just choose to stay home and have babies and miss out on promotions and professional connections that would enable them to get promotions or other good jobs or raises."

For that matter, contrast that with the ridiculous arguments in Canada over changing the anthem: "Men went to war, women didn't, so of course the anthem doesn't need to mention women." (it's not true that women didn't go to war, btw; many did as support staff, nurses, some impersonated men so they could fight, and some women worked as spies)

A movie is a pretty trivial thing to get worked up about. It's not that the theatre is permanently barring men, or refusing to hire men. As I said before, this is a publicity gimmick, and whether it works or not, some women will probably take them up on it so they don't have to listen to all the sexist remarks from the audience.

My big question is why would you want to attend a single-gender only showing of a film? Not only does it open oneself to the bigotry/closed mindedness claim, but what does it actually accomplish?

Whenever I watch a movie, outside of my date or friend group making comments to each other, I don't want a lot of talking or commenting during my viewing. The rest of the theater could be made up of raccoons for all I care.
Better bring enough money to buy all of them a tub of popcorn, then. Otherwise, they'll steal yours thisfast! :p

I haven't set foot in a movie theatre since December 30, 1999. I haven't really missed it, either, for the same reason of wanting to concentrate on the movie and not be annoyed by anyone else talking, rustling with their food, spilling drinks, coughing, and so on.

A movie theater isn't beholden or even dominated by the comic book subculture. Indeed, while comic-related movies are the most powerful force in Hollywood right now, comic books sales are going down, with most analysis pointing to the wider interest of the superheroes as characters themselves outside of their comic book setting.

And past that, women in comic book culture are generally some of the more active and outspoken in the community, particularly in driving the cosplay and fanficition subsets.
Some women are very active in costuming (the term "cosplay" hadn't been invented at the time when I used to go to conventions), and the majority of fanfiction is - and always has been - written by women. And sure, a woman can put on a skimpy outfit and walk around the halls and attend panels and parties and the Saturday night costume competition. But that doesn't mean she wants jerks to point and make sexist remarks or catcalls.

I think some part of the reason for this women-only screening is that some women would like to watch a movie about a female superhero and not have to hear some of the men catcalling the main character.

They would be quite comparable to whites-only screenings though.

Do you know how many hundreds of American movie theaters offer whites-only screenings of every movie?

Uh, guess again :lol:
Okay, how about some links? I suppose some small towns would do this, if the general attitude of the area was racist. I don't see how any theatre chain in a big city could get away with it, though.

some women will probably take them up on it so they don't have to listen to all the sexist remarks from the audience.

Are there likely to be a surfeit of sexist remarks coming from the audience?! Does that sort of thing routinely happen in cinemas in the US? And if so are you implying that that's the sort of atmosphere in which all men enjoy watching films? I mean maybe they could have a rigidly enforced "don't shout out sexist remarks" showing instead, that way all the normal men can enjoy it too.

American movie theaters don't let blacks in? Am I still in 21-st century?

In many areas of the country, there are no blacks to let in. There are de facto whites-only movie screenings all across this great land of ours.

This is what I mean about a false equivalency. "Women only would be the same as whites only!" No, it wouldn't, at all. For a whole host of reasons, starting with the general redundancy of even having to specify a screening is "whites only." That tends to be the default in many places.

What do you even mean by that in the context of this example? It's a freaking cinema where people sit in their chairs and watch a movie, people who for the most part don't even read comics, and are not part of "comicbook subculture". What's the worst thing that's going to happen? That a random guy yells "Show us your boobs, wonder woman!"?

Are there likely to be a surfeit of sexist remarks coming from the audience?! Does that sort of thing routinely happen in cinemas in the US?
Why would you ask a Snowman which Season is the best?

Which is of course your usual strawmanning trick, because I didn't make the ridiculous logical leap this accuses me of.
What did you mean then? Akka, whom you quoted, was referring specifically to the screening, and how it would be thought of differently if it were a male-only screening, you then said it would only be a double standard if things were the same. Things ARE the same, there are two groups, both normally don't suffer restrictions to which screenings they can watch. There is already parity there, so of course it is a double-standard to treat female-only screenings and male-only screenings differently.

In many areas of the country, there are no blacks to let in. There are de facto whites-only movie screenings all across this great land of ours.

This is what I mean about a false equivalency. "Women only would be the same as whites only!" No, it wouldn't, at all. For a whole host of reasons, starting with the general redundancy of even having to specify a screening is "whites only." That tends to be the default in many places.
Everybody knows that by "White only"-screenings people mean "Screenings where only whites are allowed", not "Screenings only whites attend", which is a direct parallel to the "Female only"-screenings shown here.

Top Bottom