FFH - Some Orcs Are Bigger Than Others

Don't know enough to add constructively to the conversation. However I'm trying to learn the basics...
Spoiler :
Playing a basic game (noble normal erebus) as the Gregori as recommended by the manual. This is my fifth start( different map each time) and I've got up to T100. Maybe I should continue this as an "Help. I'm a noob" thread in FFH2.

^
What do you want to know ?

I've finished a game with Cassiel, yesterday. Not my favourite leader.
You can't do anything with religion. Means you can't run certain civics,
thus you can't loose your neutral status.
And this means no over- or undercouncilling.

You aren't running one of my favourite civics, Agrarianism.
Farm grassland, they don't give hammers anyway.
And farms + Aristocracy will benefit from the FIN trait.

Basically I'm trying to figure out everything starting with basics such as growing an empire, building an economy, exploration. Religion and magic can probably wait a bit. It'll be better not to clutter up this thread with my stuff so I may head over to the FFH forum to post a game there.
Sorry for the interrution Oz :blush:.

I guess AH first is the safer option, while mining/masonry first could lead to a faster buildup followed by economic recovery. Either way is fine for me.

The more I look at it, the more I think we should move around a bit before deciding on where to settle. Even in regular Civ I might consider it given this start, but especially in FfH with the starting settler bonus and expensive worker techs.
Our current location requires 3 different techs for its resources, has no space for farming (before chops), too much water and only two hills. Not terrible but rather unimpressive.

We could move W, off that peninsula we're on, to see if we can get a more land-based capital. It would also block off our starting location from everyone else, so we can settle it later at leisure. There's plenty of forest W of us as well and I think it shouldn't be hard to do better than what we have, tile-wise.

On civics, do we want Nationhood or stick to Religion? Are we going for an early religion?

It looks like wheat in the bottom left corner of the screenshot. We can move SW and get wheat, cows and spices in BFC which we should be able to use fairly quickly.

The more I look at it, the more I think we should move around a bit before deciding on where to settle. Even in regular Civ I might consider it given this start, but especially in FfH with the starting settler bonus and expensive worker techs.
Our current location requires 3 different techs for its resources, has no space for farming (before chops), too much water and only two hills. Not terrible but rather unimpressive.

Think maybe you're right, maybe a wander is in order...

How about SW with the final settler movement point, then (unless other good spots come up) settle in range of the wheat? It's still better than the original location, requiring only a single tech (agriculture) rather than two as an early investment. Even better if we can cut down the number of sea tiles and get some more hills in the BFC.

I don't think we need to hurry, spending another turn or two is fine, especially considering the blocked off land we reserve for later. Since you said there are barbs already out in the world on turn 1, our world spell might give us a bit more info as well.

What do you think about Nationhood? If we want to switch we should do it now so we don't waste a turn in anarchy.

What about moving west through the mountain pass and see what's on the other side? We'll have a lot of land blocked off for later use, so even if we're a few turns behind we can't easily get boxed in. How hard can it be to do better than this carp?

Then again, I said that too before we moved the first time... :mischief:

1E has the appeal of quite some production. If we could land the Heron Throne it would make a good cap. That might be a nice play as Octopus Overlords is a nice religion and we'll need Fishing for it anyway (well at least if you're a priest and not a drown candidate :D). So 1E for me!

Early information about the map will be very useful, huts would be a nice bonus.

If we're going to have a problem with research and less of a problem with early barbs (coz were all barbarians) that coud be an argument for an early commerce city such as calendar resources to the north of our settler.

If we're going to have a problem with research and less of a problem with early barbs (coz were all barbarians) that coud be an argument for an early commerce city such as calendar resources to the north of our settler.

There are plenty up there, will be a nice commerce city...

So a recreation, didn't realise that my PC wasn't taking screenshots :mad:....

Settled one east as discussed

Started meeting the AI even before the world spell was fired off.

You can see what orcs we picked up after firing off the spell here

Have met 7 AI already, Cardith is just west of use Einon just south and Cassiel a little east.

Surrounding land aren't great but a few sites are around.

We popped 4 huts I think, 3 for gold and one for a map, was hopeful of a tech but we are cashed up for the next while.

So who wants to continue this....

Attachments

• Ben AD-0015.CivBeyondSwordSave
    147.8 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom