• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Georgian-Russian War: the Western response

Status
Not open for further replies.
as someone who almost always disagrees with hawkish american policy i have to say its a good idea, i think nato naval units in the black sea and a mobilisation of the turkish military would be enough to make russia back off, whatever russia may claim georgia did, its russia who forced elevation and they need to back down
Indeed. I'm certainly not suggesting we start firing warning shots across the bows of the Russian fleet, but flexing our muscle a bit here may give them pause.

That risks escalating things even more. Georgia isn't' worth fighting a major war over.

How? It's international waters. Does Russia have a problem with freedom of navigation in international waters?

The Georgians started it, V. They broke the ceasefire and walked away from scheduled peace talks, and in doing so deliberately targeted and murdered 1,400 civilians in the capital of South Ossetia. Even if you hate Russia, there's no intellectual honesty or integrity to be had in siding with Georgia.

The Georgians started it, V. They broke the ceasefire and walked away from scheduled peace talks, and in doing so deliberately targeted and murdered 1,400 civilians in the capital of South Ossetia. Even if you hate Russia, there's no intellectual honesty or integrity to be had in siding with Georgia.

"He started it!" wasn't a good argument for WWI, and it's not a good one now. Both nations have been very underhanded and the whole situation should be condemned. Letting Russia just roll in doesn't fix this.

In Soviet Russia you don't listen to propaganda, propaganda listens to you!

VRWCAgent said:
Indeed. I'm certainly not suggesting we start firing warning shots across the bows of the Russian fleet, but flexing our muscle a bit here may give them pause.

Or make Russian flex theirs as well. Sounds awfully close to pushing "enemy" into standard dilemma whether to backdown (=>lose) or raise (then we do what what? raise higher?).

How? It's international waters. Does Russia have a problem with freedom of navigation in international waters?

They'll take it as a threat aimed at them. Which it is.

The Black Sea Fleet is already active. I really don't want to see a US and Russian fleet facing each other off in the Black Sea.

They'll take it as a threat aimed at them. Which it is.

The Black Sea Fleet is already active. I really don't want to see a US and Russian fleet facing each other off in the Black Sea.

We'd get to see if those Backfires could really wipe out a carrier battle group like in Red Storm Rising.

In Soviet Russia you don't listen to propaganda, propaganda listens to you!
In capitalist America you are the object of propaganda, not realazing this fact.

In capitalist America you are the object of propaganda, not realazing this fact.

You know, this is funny because the point of Russian Reversal jokes is the opposite of the way things really work.

We'd get to see if those Backfires could really wipe out a carrier battle group like in Red Storm Rising.

FEAR RUSSIA!!! THEY ARE GONNA CONQUER THE WORLD LIKE THIS!!

I have reveled their evil master plan for world domination.

Possibly.

But I do have a 36" HDTV, an $1800 dollar laptop, XBOX 360 with 8 games, and food stocked to the brim in my fridge.

God, do I love American consumerist capitalism!

Possibly.

But I do have a 36" HDTV, an $1800 dollar laptop, XBOX 360 with 8 games, and food stocked to the brim in my fridge.

In Romanian capitalism you don't have that. I don't see what this has anything to do with Russia.

Possibly.

So you have exchanged your freedom to laptop and XBOX?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little prosperity, deserve neither liberty nor prosperity.

Or make Russian flex theirs as well. Sounds awfully close to pushing "enemy" into standard dilemma whether to backdown (=>lose) or raise (then we do what what? raise higher?).

while i didnt actually say what you quoted me on, i'll answer i dont think russia would be stupid enough to go to war with nato, its a fight that they would lose, making russia think nato would step in should be a succesful bluff

and to the above poster i dont feel that I or most westerners have exchanged freedom for our xboxes etc, it is possible to have both freedom and prosperity

I'm not for a Kremlim Puppet in charge of Georgia but if Shaakasviki did indeed order the attacks that killed Civilians and Peacekeeper then I wouldn't consider him a fit leader.
Saakashvili is a war criminal and will be judged by international tribunal or by national court - as Saddam Husein (and I hope verdict will be the same)

I have more than you written (9 games :)), and I had more when I was in Russia. Does it mean, Russia is better place for living? How smart is your original argument?

I'm getting 3 more games Tuesday (Madden 09, Head coach, and probably Fight Night) so that brings my total to 11. How smart is my original argument? Pretty smart still: the only time I had to wait in line because of a shortage was when Grand Theft Auto 4 came out. I know things have changed in Russia economically speaking, but it wasn't too long ago when people had to wait in line for toilet paper.

So you have exchanged your freedom to laptop and XBOX?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little prosperity, deserve neither liberty nor prosperity.

I'm going to takeaway points for a Russian lecturing me on freedoms and the use of a quote than has been abused over and over for the past 6 years. I still get to vote (or not if I chose-how about that for freedom!) without the threat of political violence or intimidation. I know the President isn't going to chose his successor *cough*putin chose medvedev*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom