German help needed!

happy to help

When should I use "denn" and when should I use "weil?"

Not being able to figure this out is eating away at my brain.

I don't think there is any difference in the meaning of those words.

There is a difference in how you construct sentences with them. "Weil" starts a subordinate clause (Nebensatz) and "denn" connects two main clauses (Hauptsätze). Because "denn" always connects two sentences, the reason given by "denn" always has to come after the fact it refers to. On the other hand, the subordinate clause started by "Weil" can be anywhere you want.

I think, you don't have to use "denn", you can always work around it with "weil". But that doesn't work the other way around.

I think the difference is similar to "because" and "for" in English, but I don't think "denn" is as archaic as "for".

When in doubt, just use something with an umlaut. For example "Äh" or "öh" or "ääääääääh". If that doesn´t help, just mumble something like "grmpfmlrmpf". Alternatively: "Hä? (pause) äääh..". Always works!

What about "tun" and "machen" are they interchangeable?

Was hast du heute getan? Was hast du heute gemacht? (What did you do today?) [machen sounds correct to me]

Mir tut die Hand weh. (My hand hurts.) I don't think machen will fit in there.

very much interchangeable.

was tust du? (rarer) or was machst du?

was hast du getan (more common) or was hast du gemacht? (rare)

tun (as you have pointed out) does not work in some cases.

Was hast du heute getan? Was hast du heute gemacht? (What did you do today?) [machen sounds correct to me]

examples are correct. (machen doesnt fit indeed.)
"etwas tut weh" is a standalone phrase anyway.

however, you say "ich mache meine hausaufgabe", but not "ich tue meine hausaufgabe", whereas you can say "ich mache meine arbeit" as well as "ich tue meine arbeit".

no rule here, just common usage, sorry.

Well, Mr.Godwynn, commonly you could translate "tun" as "to do" and "machen" as "to make;create". In spoken language however, nobody cares so much about the difference. And your given examples are flawless, so you already saw how to use them.

I use almost exclusively "denn" since word order is damn complicated enough for me to complicate it more. Does this sound "a bit awkward in spoken language"? :)

Similar, but probably more complex question - when should I use the Präteritum and when should I use the Perfekt? I can never decide!

I use almost exclusively "denn" since word order is damn complicated enough for me to complicate it more. Does this sound "a bit awkward in spoken language"? :)

Similar, but probably more complex question - when should I use the Präteritum and when should I use the Perfekt? I can never decide!

I´d say that the distinction between the two forms is not as strict in German as in English. In everyday speech, both forms can be used. The Präteritum is more prevalent in northern Germany than in southern Germany, at least one of my linguistics profs told me so.
But technically (written German, but I don´t think most people think/know of that), you may only use the Perfekt when the content of your sentence has "Gegenwartsbezug" iirc. I currently have no idea how to translate it :D. ~ It has to have some relevance to today/what you are doing or talking about at the moment.
Perhaps I can think of an example - if you´re talking to a friend about a book you´ve read with the intention of telling him something about it´s contents, most would say: "I habe gestern Buch X gelesen". "I las Buch X" sounds a bit odd in this context, although it´s not technically wrong.

präteritum is for written language, perfekt for spoken language. generally.

depends on the spoken dialect or whatever you are trying to achieve with what you're writing.

for you they are totally interchangeable and probably will be forever. :p

Ah I see! :D

In that case, I will go by what I go now - if the first to come to my mind is the imperfect (=Präteritum) form, I'll use it, if the past participle is easier to remember, I'll use that! :D

On average, the Perfekt is harder for me as the auxiliary verb depends on whether the main verb is "moving" or "stationary", and also makes the word order a bit harder for me, but then again the Präteritum is harder with verbs with a separable prefix.

So I have the perfect solution - whatever my memory brings up first. ;)

Perhaps I can think of an example - if you´re talking to a friend about a book you´ve read with the intention of telling him something about it´s contents, most would say: "I habe gestern Buch X gelesen". "I las Buch X" sounds a bit odd in this context, although it´s not technically wrong.

that's the point. it's a matter of style, not a matter of rules.

Yes, but as I answer those questions all the time: Don't bother with that too much. You'll get better in a stable course with practising your skills, so don't be ashamed to speak with some flaws and be grateful for everybody who is correcting you.

Ich habe es gemacht. - I have done it.

Ich machte es. - I did it.

Do you see any significant difference? I don't, so just speak in the way it seems more approbiate in the respective sentences. And you never do something wrong when you use like 90% of the time Perfekt, because it's just so much more common in spoken language. Präterium tend to sound a little more awkward when you use it too frequently, but actually that's up to decide for everybody on his own.

I see!

Well in this particular case I wouldn't have used the Präteritum form "las" anyway since I forgot it long ago. :D

Do you see any significant difference? I don't, so just speak in the way it seems more approbiate in the respective sentences. And you never do something wrong when you use like 90% of the time Perfekt, because it's just so much more common in spoken language. Präterium tend to sound a little more awkward when you use it too frequently, but actually that's up to decide for everybody on his own.

In English, there is a difference. :) I assume the one in German is smaller, though. :)

To summarize, I´d say that you should just use whatever comes to your mind initially, although you should perhaps focus a bit more on Perfekt forms over time, as they seem to be much more common (in conversation, als Holy King said). Too much Präteritum can sound clunky.

Top Bottom