Guess the map 14: We mapped our sky before we mapped our Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hint: The part that's still missing has not yet been mentioned.

After doing more research, it also seems that Argentina is a "maybe". It is debated by experts whether they technically achieved this or not.

Something about space exploration, like sending own space probes, satellites?

Yes, that is on the right track, but still missing that one key element that has not yet been mentioned. You are getting closer but are missing something that's not related to anything yet mentioned

Nope! Let me try to give y'all another hint that doesn't give too much away. Here's a quote from the guess that was more or less the closest. I've removed the part of the sentence that wasn't right

Something about space exploration, like sending

Yes, it's something all these countries have sent to space, that none of the others ever have.

Canadians have been sent into space. The most recent was William Shatner.

Launched interplanetary vessels?

Is it some kind of scientific equipment?
I know USA and Russia have sent telescopes in space, but I doubt Iran and Argentina did too.
May be national navigation systems, like American GPS and Russian GLONASS? Though Galileo was made by EU, not just France IIRC.

No

Is it some kind of scientific equipment?
I know USA and Russia have sent telescopes in space, but I doubt Iran and Argentina did too.
May be national navigation systems, like American GPS and Russian GLONASS? Though Galileo was made by EU, not just France IIRC.

It's not any sort of instrument, equipment, tool, etc. Nothing with mechanical parts or electronics.

But Kirk was born in Iowa?
Yes, Kirk was born in Iowa. But William Shatner was born in Montreal, and he recently went up into space (by a few km, but they count). It's been in the news. He now holds the record as the oldest man to go into space.

Argentina had at some point a space program, so I guess they probably tried.

map.png

I got this map from reddit, and quickly checked some things via a publication, the bulk should be correct, although the map and publication disagree on the colour for Norway and Spain.
China should be yellow, as far as I'm aware.

Grey is no data/unknown, or a third category?

Argentina had at some point a space program, so I guess they probably tried.

The wikipedia article on this says that they say they did, but that nobody was around to measure the exact altitude reached, so it's not known whether they went high enough to qualify as being in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom