Guess the Map VIII: Didn't Color the Island Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
A countries value is related to how it chooses to represent itself.

Map:
Spoiler :

Well... Some kind of number of politicians or representatives in a specific organization?

edit: or perhaps a number of specific organizations the countries are part of? Some aspect of the UN?

Republic/democracy/federations/etc.?

Nepal is coloured incorrectly. It should be amber for 5.

No suggestions are on the right track so far. Edit: Takhisis's guess could be interpreted to be in the right direction, but I'm pretty certain that that interpretation is not the one that was intended. A point isn't awarded for being a dictatorship or any other form of government.

Subjective hint.

Before gathering the data I knew that North Korea and the UK would have fairly high values. They were among the few countries that I knew would have a high value. I guessed that many countries would take the same (boring*) route to a high value as North Korea, but didn't know which countries. Algeria and Ethiopia take that route. Papua New Guinea's route is mildly interesting*. The country that scores highly in the most interesting* way is Brunei.

* to me.

Number of ceasefires signed that still haven't been followed by a declaration of peace !

Number of de jure ongoing wars with low or 0 casualties per year !

it's not any of the last 3 suggestions.

I don't think either of those last 2 apply to Brunei.

This is about one of the most basic things you can say about a country.

Edit: While looking up it's military history, I noticed that on Brunei's wikipedia page (as opposed to a different wikipedia page that I used to gather the data) it's marked as a yellow (4) country instead of amber (5).

Length of country name

In general that makes sense (assuming number of words), especially with the hint, except a couple of things, the UK has 8 (should be 5) and you can't have zero words in a name.

You can if it doesn't have an official name.

If purple is zero it can't be that. Saudi Arabia is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Spain is the Kingdom of Spain. Mongolia and Canada are just called that, though.

Maybe it's number of words in a country's official name other than "kingdom" "of" and "[name]"? Or number of unique words in the title of a country's official name?

PNG is the Independent State of Papua New Guinea, which is six words, so doesn't fit that criterion. Its Tok Pisin name is Independen Stet bilong Papua Niugini, 5 words, so that doesn't work either.

Length of country name

Almost there. As the length of the name increases the likelihood that the value increase does as well, but it's not guaranteed to increase.

If purple is zero it can't be that. Saudi Arabia is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Spain is the Kingdom of Spain. Mongolia and Canada are just called that, though.

Maybe it's number of words in a country's official name other than "kingdom" "of" and "[name]"? Or number of unique words in the title of a country's official name?

PNG is the Independent State of Papua New Guinea, which is six words, so doesn't fit that criterion. Its Tok Pisin name is Independen Stet bilong Papua Niugini, 5 words, so that doesn't work either.

I'm pretty sure PNG has a value of 6.

Using Arwon's idea, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would count in the 'four' bracket.

I think Goodfella has it. Number of Es in the full official name.

Belgium/Belgique/België has an e :twitch:
And so has Luxembourg. Or do the names themselves not count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom