1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How you get around?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Feb 10, 2017.

?

How do you get around your immediate area (to work, see friends, go out on the town, etc.)?

1. Walk

2. Bike

3. Drive a personal vehicle

4. Carpool

5. Uber/Cab

6. Bus

7. Subway/Train

8. Motorbike/Moped

9. Water Vehicle (really?!)

10. Something Else

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. civvver

civvver Deity

You can, it's called first class tickets. What family can afford to sit in first class with kids? And the plane is so noisy there's no way you'd hear kids in the back all the way up front.

Anyway my kids behaved great. The baby slept or ate the whole flight and my other one watched tv. The plane engines were louder than they were.

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Nobody except the wealthy and those with expense accounts can afford first class tickets. I asked about the cost of upgrading at the counter on my last flight, would have been $11k extra over the $600 I paid for my seat. I think you'd be able to fill planes full of people with no kids if you charged everyone $20 extra to avoid children though.

3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Personal car. I live far enough away from the city that while public transit exists, it doesn't come close to matching my schedule and would add an hour to my commute if not more.

4. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

It'd be bad press. It's safer to annoy you somewhat than enrage social media mom.

I'd never pay 20 bucks for that though. Of all the massively irritating things about flying somewhere, kids really don't make the top part of the list. I'd rather they banned booze, if you forced me to choose.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yeah maybe I haven't flown enough but I have never encountered a big problem with babies on an airplane.

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

The "babies crying on planes" is an outlier phenomena.

But it's memorable because once they start crying, they don't stop. A cramped cabin is not an ideal place for baby-soothing unless you've trained them real well (which 99% of parents don't/can't do).

7. west india man

west india man Immortal

My first ever flight was just before I turned 2 years old and involved me throwing up and crying for basically the entire 11 hour flight. I've been on planes with crying babies since then, and it's pretty bad when you're sitting near a loud baby or toddler who won't shut up for an entire transatlantic flight

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I was just reminded that the church I was taken to as a kid had a sound proofed room in the back. And parents with crying children were supposed to relocate to that. So maybe what we need to do is to force airlines to keep a couple of seats in the cargo hold. And if a child starts crying, then and their parent would be forced to move to there. :mischief:

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I mean

have people never heard of headphones

10. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I was seated next to a mother and daughter on a plane when the daughter was just less than 2 years old once. Thankfully, she was much better behaved than west india man. No crying, no throwing up, no temper tantrums. Playing with toys some, looking out the window, napping... really a model almost-2-year-old for flying in an airplane.

I get around primarily by bus, walking, and car, in order by how many trips I take (car would be second in mileage, since it gets the longest trips). Public transportation is so-so here, but I'm near a couple of the most frequent lines so it's much better for where I am than for most people in the city, and I found I like the extra time I get by not having to focus on the road for 20 minutes in the morning and evening commute. I bike for recreation, but not really for point-a-to-point-b, so I didn't vote that. I forgot to vote for carpool, but I do carpool with friends when going to events; if we're going to and from the same place, or one of us is along the other's route, it would be silly to take two vehicles, especially if the destination's parking situation is limited.

11. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'd expect to get kicked off a flight if I got drunk and made as much of a racket as kids do.

I travel light, and I've yet to find a pair of IEMs or earplugs that aren't uncomfortable after some hours. And even with IEMs that give better sound isolation than headphones, I'm still able to hear kids.

12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Well, they're kids. They get a pass on crapping their pants too, up to a point. <shrugs>

13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah but I don't have to deal with their crappy pants.

If I did, I would absolutely be willing to pay money for a free market solution to the problem.

14. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Nooooooo :(

schlaufuchs and Lexicus like this.
  15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I dunno, I'd be alright with airplane booze being banned. Problem is that the beers are all crap macrolagers from blacklisted brewers (mostly ABIB), which basically leaves wine, which is either too expensive, or only free on long-haul flights where I'm abstaining in order to optimize jet-lag recovery.

16. west india man

west india man Immortal

Sometimes the babies are loud enough to drown out even the sound from the earphones :(

17. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Given that it's multple choice, did anyone NOT tick "walking"?

18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Well...yeah. Because I don't walk considerable parts outdoors (probably not even a 100m in one go).

19. Catharsis

Catharsis catch u on the flip scythe

I missed that it was in the poll :(

In any case I harbour a suspicion that the forward-roll is actually more efficient than walking (seems to work for Sonic), but I don't have the necessary panache to live my life that way.

20. west india man

west india man Immortal

Surely rolling everywhere would tire you out a lot quicker than walking would?