1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How you get around?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Feb 10, 2017.

?

How do you get around your immediate area (to work, see friends, go out on the town, etc.)?

1. Walk

2. Bike

3. Drive a personal vehicle

4. Carpool

5. Uber/Cab

6. Bus

7. Subway/Train

8. Motorbike/Moped

9. Water Vehicle (really?!)

10. Something Else

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

20-25 minutes, Uber is ~$30, cab is ~$45. (Assuming no tip in either case.) I mis-spoke about parking, it's actually a one-time charge of $12.50 to park at (or depart from) the airport, so total trip cost of ~$20. Going rate for parking your own car is $13/day.

2. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

I get around thusly:

002-13TDI_ZCMYU006_large.jpg

Cutlass, REDY and schlaufuchs like this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I drive my own car to get to work and back. Anywhere else I need to go is usually in walking distance so I also walk a lot.

4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Next time just drop her off at the door and head home. ;)

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Some airports charge a fee to enter or exit the drop-off zone. e.g. Stansted's 'express drop off' price is £3.

I typically get places by a combination of walking and trains. I live within walking distance of a train station, and most places I need to go are also near a train station (e.g. work in the city). I used to also catch a bus as well as a train to get to uni. I very occasionally borrow my parents' car, or carpool with friends.

If going to the airport I'll also catch a train, because it's actually on my train line, between my stop and the city (so I go through the airport train station pretty much every day). The prices are exorbitant, though, so a more circuitous public transport route is worthwhile if there's more than one person, or a car drop-off.

6. Commodore

Commodore Deity

That is outrageous. What justification do they have for charging people just to drop someone off? Every airport that I've ever been to here in the US just lets you drop someone off at the door without having to pay. Of course they put strict time limits on it and you start getting some really dirty looks from the airport police if you linger for more than a minute, but at least we don't have to pay.

7. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Is it really that much more outrageous than paying $6 an hour to park in one of the garages?

It makes you think twice about using the drop-off point when you could be using a shuttle, a taxi, or drop off further out and walk in. Which is, I would imagine, rather the point.

8. Commodore

Commodore Deity

No, it's not. That's outrageous as well, but at least airports in the US give you the option of just dropping someone off at the terminal without having to pay.

9. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I drive an older convertible that I keep alive through a combination of spending a lot of time under the hood and prayers to unspeakable elder entities.

Also sometimes I walk to places close by :lol:

10. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Tram/subway mostly.

11. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

People will pay it. In capitalism, that's surely justification enough?

12. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Why, someday restaurants'll charge us for water, we used to laugh when I was young.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  13. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Utilities be acting up

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it"

15. civvver

civvver Deity

I just recently took the family on a trip and long term airport parking was $11 a day. This was an uncovered lot far enough away you took a shuttle (fortunately it was complimentary) to get there. So we spent $66 on parking. But an uber or cab ride from our house about 25 miles away would probably have been the same or more, plus I had two kids who need carseats, not really conducive to a cab ride.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I wish I could pay more for plane tickets that would guarantee me no children on the flight.

I don't quite understand why the market is failing in this case.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The economic reason is probably that airlines expect to face a large enough wrath from parents/families/etc. leading to potentially a lot of lost sales vs not much gained in the acquisition of a new customer who is not likely to be brand loyal in the future

Mind you I think there is merit in the idea of of a "child-free" airline, and I think I did see something like that before.. but I can't really remember the details

18. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Well, sure that's the real reason for it. I was asking what BS reason those airports came up with for it though to make it sound like it was something that was needed instead of the money grabbing scheme it obviously is.

19. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Practically nothing is within reasonable walking distance of my house, but public transport is pretty good so I try and use that as much as possible (basically if I have the time). Have a car for other situations, and will uber if I've been drinking.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity