1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Implementation of city wall tiles - a preview

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Dark Sheer, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

The biggest resource file I know is Casus Belli's Edited Resource Compilation:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=59068

He has 24 resource files in a row. From his "readme" text: The size or capacity of the resource sheets is not as important as the sequence of the icons. Civilization has the ability to easily read up to 999 resource icons on a pcx file. The number of icon slots in a row is not restricted to six and can be any manageable number. Likewise, the number of rows on a sheet is not restricted and an original sheet could be in practically any configuration (i.e. 6x6, 12x12, 24x36, etc.). So long as the sheet is labeled as “resources.pcx” and is located in place of the original file it can be used. However, for some as yet unexplained reason the maximum size replacement for the “resources_shadows.pcx” is a 6x11 (66 shadow icon) pcx sheet. If anything larger than this is used it causes the game to crash in Random games. This problem does not occur when the original “resources.pcx” is replaced with the 24x60 (1440) size icon sheet, but the shadows are not avilable.

I attache a "cleaned up" version of this resource file. :)

Attached Files:

2. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

Interesting. When I made the resources.pcx file wider than 12 icon the program doesn't appear to read the 13th icon in the first row. (maybe because I was testing with a file of which the 13th place doesn't has the right icon width :hmm:)

Actually I was trying to test whether the resource icon can be any larger than the current size. Apparently its hard coded again. IMO, in a game such as CivIII where the mod is the most important thing, the program should not have hardcoded so many thing. I mean if it can allow the height of the mountains to be above the gfx tile then why restricting the height of other icon and gfx tiles? Without restricting the height one can make the graphic look more 3D like. :p

3. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

When Civ3 vanilla came out, modding functions were just a little fun tool. Devellopers didn't think that it would have a such success and thus when they made the game, they only though about their own design needs.

4. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

I know, I know :sad:

But after so much feedback, not to mention so many successful Civ2 mods (includung those expansions by Micropose itself) one would think that the designers are smart enough to think of them for Civ3. :confused:

I guess they found the solution by turning everything 3D in Civ4. :hmm:

5. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

A bigger resource file on the map would be very useful. But all my tests to create such an icon on the map failed.

Dark Sheer, does the megaresourcefile work for your mod ?

6. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I checked this thread again and realised again how nice those walls look!

7. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

I am currently painstakingly placing these walls in my 256x256 ROTK China map. Had to take a break just after doing 5 cities. :p

I still have not found anyone who is interested in joining me to make such a mod though. I guess I will just have to start a new thread before anyone will jump on the bandwagon. ;)

I was ramaging through my stuff looking for my San9 CD. Found San8 instead. :o And on top of that discovered an old treasure. The Official Guide to Civilization ! :lol: :lol:

I guess there is no harm to show how the city walls are placed in my biq file. :king:

Attached Files:

8. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

The pic looks great, I`m following this with much interest :)

9. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

When I start the ROTK thread for discussion I am expecting you to be one of the contributor. ;)

10. Stormrage

Well, gee, anyone could say that, I read every thread :)

But sure, I`d like to see your mod finnished, I loved to play Dynasty warriors on PlayStation2 :)

11. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

Speaking of PS2 I remember playing Kessen II (决战 II) in 6 hours straight from start until it ends. :lol: :lol:

12. Stormrage

I played FF7 for 27 hours (no sleep, no food, no bathroom)... I just couldn`t stop :crazyeye: after that, I slept trough the whole day and night...

Never did come around to playing kessen, tho..

13. WildWeazel

WildWeazel hard-coded Supporter

That map looks great DS :goodjob: I like the way you combined the walls with actual mountains.

You sound like one of the guys from the CivAnon trailer. :p

14. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

That mystified me too. That CivIII would be turned into a modfest by the fans if given half a chance seemed pretty obvious to me ...

Speaking of resources, is there anything particular you need?

15. Stormrage

:) Whats that?

16. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

17. Stormrage

Well, it was just that one time :D

And looks who`s talkin`, the guy who is making the "One More Turn" theatre! :lol:

18. William GBTW

William GBTW 73h 1337 H4x0rz

19. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

I can understand that. I had this idea two years ago and finally figured it out recently, ;)

20. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

That pic is great, although a bit too zoomed out to understand anything. I guess that words are city names?