Like, like, hate, hate

Live trash can

Warlord
Have you ever changed your mind about something?

When I first was acquainted with philosophy, I hated it. I thought it was dumb! But some years later, I tried it and liked it! My life had changed enough for me to like it.

If I don't read some philosophy today it is because I don't have time. Or it is a part of philosophy which I deem to be evil or destructive.

I think it a strength not to make up your mind about something before you have understood it properly. But as my example shows, in different contexts you might pass different judgments, so...

Brussels sprouts too, although it took me until adulthood to change my mind about those.

I dunno man, when the vegetable already smells like farts and I haven't even eaten it yet, it's not much of a mystery how that's gonna go :cringe:

Peas. Hated when I was a little kid. Started loving as a teen. Brussels sprouts too, although it took me until adulthood to change my mind about those.
What was wrong with peas? :confused:

I hated Brussels sprouts as a child. I still hate them, over 50 years later.

I did change my mind about spinach - used to hate it, but love it now.

What was wrong with peas? :confused:

I hated Brussels sprouts as a child. I still hate them, over 50 years later.

I did change my mind about spinach - used to hate it, but love it now.

I now like spinach. Has to be fresh though but thats true for most veg.
I even found a cabbage I like, sweetheart cabbage, although I haven't cooked with it myself yet, so it may well be that chef is just more talented than me.

I dunno man, when the vegetable already smells like farts and I haven't even eaten it yet, it's not much of a mystery how that's gonna go :cringe:

Some days vengeance on the dog is a perk.

Sautéd spinach with lots of garlic is a wonderful side dish, particularly with a white pasta sauce like vongole. As a kid I loved the flavor of spinach in other dishes; now I love it on its own too. It goes extremely well with pepperoni, whether on a pizza or in a breakfast casserole. On a pizza it's best under the cheese, something about the layering of spinach>cheese>pepperoni is delicious alchemy.

Last edited:
Ow, that burns!

I hated aubergine and lentils when I was a kid. Then I tried dal in Indian restaurants, and aubergine fritters in Egypt, and now I'm converted (baked aubergine with chopped tomatoes, onion and garlic is also delicious).

Amen to spinach, too.

Still hate Brexit tho'. Don't think that's gonna change...

What makes Brussels sprouts smell and taste like dishwater/old socks is overcooking. The trick, is already within your grasp... To wit:
Sautéd spinach with lots of garlic is a wonderful side dish.
;) If you lightly sauté them in bacon fat, preferably, but olive oil if you don't have (or eat) bacon, with enough salt and plenty of garlic... Brussels sprouts are delicious. My kids love Brussels sprouts. They're also good lightly roasted, again with salt, olive oil and plenty of garlic, or lightly steamed with the same combination of oils/spices added. When they turn bright green, they're done... take them off the heat, fast.
What was wrong with peas? :confused: I hated Brussels sprouts as a child. I still hate them, over 50 years later. I did change my mind about spinach - used to hate it, but love it now.
It was the skin. Without the skin they have the consistency of mashed potatoes but the skin was too plastic'ey. However my dad started mashing them into a lumpy pea soup/mashed potatoes consistency and I discovered I liked the taste. Now I like them prepared almost any way.

I changed my mind about spinach too. I love it now.

I think everyone's taste in foods changes. It's a very natural part of aging, not sure why, but your palate just changes.

My tastes in music changed. I don't care for alternative/rock very much anymore, although that genre seems to be mostly dying anyway, and I like rap more than I used to.

My tastes in cars, I used to want the coolest, fastest, most fun to drive sports car. I never had that much money, but I had a 6 year used mustang gt convertible and later got a nissan altima coupe with a 3.5 v6 which was pretty sporty. Now I just want the most convenient and comfortable ride like my dream car would be an audi Q7 or Cadillac sedan.

Video games. I used to love games that had a lot to figure out. I figured out civ1 as an 8 year old kid with no manual just installed it off a disc from a friend in dos and went to town. Civ2 was similar. Now anything like that intimidates me and I don't have the time or desire to figure out little incracicies of play. Like crusader kings 2 no thanks.

Y'all are crazy. Cooked spinach is, has been, and always will be the worst. It's just slimy mush and makes me gag when I try to eat it. Raw spinach however is fine since it isn't slimy. I put it on my sandwiches or in salads as a lettuce substitute.

Y'all are crazy. Cooked spinach is, has been, and always will be the worst. It's just slimy mush and makes me gag when I try to eat it. Raw spinach however is fine since it isn't slimy. I put it on my sandwiches or in salads as a lettuce substitute.

Depends on how you're cooking it, what you're seasoning it with, and what you're pairing it with.

Spannakopita, for instance, is delicious. As is spinach quiche.

The movie "American Beauty". I used to love it until I figured out what the real message behind the movie is. That message being "don't try because in the end we are all insignificant and nothing we do means anything".

What makes Brussels sprouts smell and taste like dishwater/old socks is overcooking.

My wife roasts 'em. Trust me, the stank begins well before the point of doneness.

Oh, another thing I like now is salad. Never could stand lettuce, but once I discovered arugula? That makes a tasty salad. Simply dressed with some EVOO, lemon juice, a little salt and pepper and some parmesan shavings. DELISH!

It was the skin. Without the skin they have the consistency of mashed potatoes but the skin was too plastic'ey. However my dad started mashing them into a lumpy pea soup/mashed potatoes consistency and I discovered I liked the taste. Now I like them prepared almost any way.
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone mention the skin on peas. :confused:

Of course the best way to have them is freshly-picked from the garden.

Oh, and I hate pea soup. It's disgusting.

Top Bottom